Terra-fy your Strada...

Discussion in 'TR650' started by RidingDonkeys, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Nick780 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Suzuki GS400E

PM'd!
  2. broadwayron Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 520RR
    How much are Strada wheels new?
  3. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
  4. broadwayron Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 520RR
  5. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    I sold my rims. You should be able to find a set though. Also, check out the BMW wheels too, as the Strada wheels are indeed BMW wheels.
    Moff69 likes this.
  6. Iceman_Z Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none yet
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F650GS Daker
    GreenRidingRed, I was thinking about getting a Terra, but I want ABS, as it would also serve as a commuter. If I am able to pick one up, maybe we can trade wheels and such. PM me if this sounds good to you.
  7. Mossy-Back Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR650L (gone)
    I am interested in trading my Strada wheels for spoked wheels. Not particular about the size. I'd prefer 18/21 Terra wheels, but wouldn't turn down a trade for 17/19 or 17/21 from a BMW.
  8. Jen.Mathis Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Hi RD -- I have a 2013 Terra and really love it, but was thinking of Terra-fying a Strada as you have done. When you changed the wheels out, did it change the overall seat height by much? In other words, by changing out the wheels, did it just essentially change it back to the same seat height as the Terra? Or is there something that I'm missing in the differences between the bikes. (The Terra is just a bit tall for me, and I would like to have the same trail-worthiness of the Terra but the lower overall height of the Strada.)

Thanks Jen
  9. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Hey Jen,
    I did this on my Strada quite some time ago. You will get a little taller in the seat. I personally think it's worth it for the advantages of spoked rims. You can always use a Kuba Link or seat concepts lower seat to get your height dialed in. My bike is pretty tall with a seat concepts tall seat and the new rims, but it make for more leg room and comfort on longer hauls. Love it!
  10. Potomac Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Royal Enfield Bullet w/ Cozy Sidecar
    Thinking I might end up with a Strada soon. Is there a place online to order the 18/21 Terra wheels and front fender, or do you have to go through a dealer?
  11. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Ktm-parts.com should be an option.
  12. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Just an FYI the BMW spoked wheels are a direct match--pretty easy to find on Ebay. Somewhere on the internet I show when I did a bit of testing with my friend's Sertao. I was able to take his spoked wheels and put them on my Strada with no mods. Ended up buying some Terra wheels from a Cafe Husky guy who went all the way and got Excels--love the spokes, still loving the bike.
  13. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sorry I'm a bit slow on the reply. I'm separated from my TR650 by over 1000 miles right now, and soon to be a lot further. Needless to say, I'm not on the forum much. Seeing everyone have fun with their bikes makes me miss mine.

Going to the 21"/18" spoked rims should only increase your seat height by 0.5" tops. If you use the 17" spoked rear (21"/17"), you will only raise it 0.2".

The difference was definitely noticeable for me because I have a relatively short inseam. But I got the hang of it quickly, and last year I put a Seat Concepts +1" seat on the bike to increase the seat to peg distance. Not I am absolutely stretching my limits for seat height, and I can only get one foot down at stops. The great thing about the TR is that the center of gravity is very low, so leaning it in on one foot is quite easy, even on long days.
  14. Potomac Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm actually thinking I'll keep the stock Strada wheels now and do k60 rear tkc80 front tubeless. I know guys say spoked wheels are stronger but seriously what does it take to mess up a Strada wheel? Part of me kind of wants to find out...
    IronRod likes this.
  15. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Have a look in Out and About (Terra, Strada).
  16. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    So it takes hitting at tree head on at 30-40.

17. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I imagine a lot less would bend it. That impact would have ruined most wheels.

The real difference is this: When a cast wheel bends or cracks, you're done. Ride over. When a spoke wheel bends, your tube can still stay inflated. You can get out of the woods in most cases.
  18. Potomac Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just got my Strada today and rode the crap out of it, really love it from the little I've ridden. Think I will stick with the cast wheels till they break, least then It'll show I've developed enough riding skill to need spoked, or will be in the hospital thus eliminating the need for anything for a while.

Where the heck do you buy a Terra front fender though now? Google is failing me.
    IronRod and nev.. like this.
  19. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
  20. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Or ktm-parts.com