Terra-fy your Strada...

Discussion in 'TR650' started by RidingDonkeys, Jul 4, 2013.

1. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    Working on the gps mount. This one is pretty compact. In the interest of time, I just ran the power supply directly to the battery.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Second coat. I'm guessing it will take 5 coats total. This is all for now though. Time to go make MrsDonkeys happy.

[IMG]
    kjackbrown and Lekolite like this.
  3. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Back to work. Second coat on the backsides, fourth on the headlight shroud. Multiple light coats is the trick to avoiding texture.

[IMG]
    chris1261 likes this.
  4. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Fifth and final coats on everything. I'll let it dry overnight and reassemble everything tomorrow. Let's hope the gloss plastics give a good offset to the flat black parts here. If it looks like crap, I'll just be riding an ugly bike for the next two weeks since I'm taking it out of town tomorrow afternoon.

[IMG]
    Coffee likes this.
  5. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Looking good. Please do post a final version of this once you get her back together.
    Coffee likes this.
  6. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Front fender disassembly is confusing, so pay attention and learn from my mistake. This is a shot of the underside of the front fender. There are 4 sets of screws. Two different torx sizes, and a phillips. The phillips do not go up front, as in the most forward position on the bike. (Top of the photo) They fit there, but the last two quarter turns will send the through the top of the fender. The phillips go in the second position. Luckily I caught it before it punched a hole, but I do have a nice dimple there now. I just made a dimple to match on the other side and touched up my plasti dip.

To drop the front fender assembly, you only need to undo the bottom 2 screws in this photo, and the 4 bolts not pictured behind them. The bottom 2 screws go through the rear of the fender, the front fender, and into the headlight assembly.

[IMG]

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
  7. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    It is hard to get pictures of a black bike outside, so bear with me. Here is the front, with a pregnant MrsDonkeys putting on the back plastics.

[IMG]
    PaulC likes this.
  8. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    The rear plastics on. You don't need to remove the exhaust heat guards to remove the rear plastics. However, you will want to remove them before reassembling everything. They caused some scratches on my newly dipped parts, which required some touch-up. Moral of the story, just take them off and get them out of the way. These rear plastics were a pain to get back on.

[IMG]
    Coffee likes this.
  9. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    My dimples due to the screw fiasco.

[IMG]
  10. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    And all done. I think vinyl will be more durable, but the plasti dip is much easier to apply, and you can touch it up.

[IMG]
    mag00, PaulC, kjackbrown and 8 others like this.
  11. TerraCzar Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Looks great! Nice work, and congrats on the soon to be Donkeys Jr!
  12. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks! She would probably not be happy if she realized she was in that photo. She said "Are you taking a picture of me?" I replied "No, just the front of the bike." I couldn't quite zoom in with the phone, so I just went with it.

I'm a lucky man though. I married a woman that loves motorcycles, and considers working on them "quality time." She even changes her own oil.

[IMG]
    bikehunter, engineerk9, PaulC and 5 others like this.
  13. Hansi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 Versys
    Only five coats? I would have hoped for pictures of the 6th coat drying! :D
    Well done, looks great!
    nev.. likes this.
  14. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    I agree. Great look, all black.
  15. Ignaciob Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada --> Terra (aka Noxeema)
    Other Motorcycles:
    05 Yamaha FJR (x2), 75 Honda CB400F
    This might be a dumb question or observation as I see what I think is two different cable & line routing in you early photos with the "Ashesport" sticker in place vs. pictures without the fork protectors in place. The brake line and ABS cable appear to be on the outboard side of the fork on stock Stradas, but appears to be on the inboard side of stock Terras.

I realized this as I was riding to work this morning and suddenly realized that was what that inboard doohickey was on the set of fork protectors I bought recently for the conversion, but didn't use.

I think this makes sense as the chances of snagging these lines when in off-road mode is probably much greater than in road-only mode.

Which then started me thinking, how does one move over the lines if you choose to? My best guess is that you have to remove the ABS sensor from the mount and unbolt the caliper while you have the wheel off, wind differently around the fork leg, and then remount. Hopefully, one doesn't have to disconnect the brake line and have to bleed it.

So, testify my Terra-fied brother donkey rider! Have we found another subtle difference between the two models? Or did I miss a post somewhere this was already discovered and I'm just rehashing a recurring thread?
  16. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I just noticed this also as I did my high fender conversion this morning. Here's a terra pic that shows the terra's routing (thanks Leo Fisher!). I think you would be correct about how to move the lines inboard.

[IMG]
  17. chris1261 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada
    I wonder how the ABS Terra's run the line. Anyone have one that can post a pic?
    hasenpfeffer likes this.
  18. endurobra Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Nudist@
    Other Motorcycles:
    CZ 350 !
    Hi
    I am thinking of buying a Strada. As a matter of interest can you tell me what sort of price the spoked wheels run at from the dealers?
  19. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    My fork guards are awaiting my return to NC. So more on this to follow.
  20. Ignaciob Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada --> Terra (aka Noxeema)
    Other Motorcycles:
    05 Yamaha FJR (x2), 75 Honda CB400F
    Eurosport Asheville in NC quoted me the best. About $1100 for both IIRC for OEM.

I'm into a used Dakar rear 17" with ABS ring about $350 and a front custom Rad & Excel from Woody's about $800.