1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE511 Love & Adventure

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by FabOneUp, Jan 29, 2014.

1. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Plus 1 in what Tinken says. I run just the breather locator and it lets me run the 1150cc of oil as reccemmended with no problems. It is a really low price part to improve engine life.
    FabOneUp likes this.
  2. Husq-a-daygo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    15' TE300, 16'FE450
    I like those tank graphics. My tank looks a little plain jane lol. Yeah my intake clearance was exactly .01" too. What did your exhaust valves measure?
    FabOneUp likes this.
  3. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    The graphics turned out way better than I expected. They took a little trimming to fit up correctly. Now I need to find a solution to keep the fuel from eating away at them. A clear coat around the edges would keep the fuel out, but I don't know how much the decals flex compared to the plastic tank. I think it is worth a shot.

My exhaust valves were right at .010 in..
  4. baybueller Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 te 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    buell, klr
    I put a 45 kush sprocket on mine and it made a big difference. road riding is much better.
    Daveb511 and FabOneUp like this.
  5. Olive xm Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 449
    I have the 39 it's good but I would like to try the 45. Takes a heap of the shock out when you put in to gear.
    FabOneUp and Bryce like this.
  6. Blaster11 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200GSA, HP2 Enduro, and a DRZ434S
    So what did you ask Decal works for to get those stickers for the tank....I need a set BAD!
    FabOneUp likes this.
  7. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

I currently have a 42 tooth non-kush sprocket that is relatively new that looks like it is going to have to work for awhile. Kush is out of the 45 tooth Husky sprockets and he has not returned my email asking when they will be back in stock. Thanks babybueller and Olive XM for your input. I will wait patiently and at least it is something that can wait and easy to take care of when the time comes. :thumbsup:

Decal works has several styles, about 10 I think for the Husky's. These were $50 and look for them in their pre made decal section under the radiator shroud kits. You will be able to design your own exactly how you want them (not sure why they call them pre-made) and quality is very good. My kit is the T-2 with factory logo's. They do not have a model for the 449/511 platform, so use your imagination. I had to do a little trimming but no big deal.

Now….we need to keep those sexy decals looking good. Gassing through the plastic will make them come off. I always thought that people had problems keeping there decals on plastic gas tanks from spilling fuel. Not the case. I talked to IMS to see if they did anything to their tanks to combat this. They said no and decals will not stick! So a bit more investment is due to insure sexyness. Caswell makes an epoxy liner for plastic tanks and they claim it cures the problem.
    https://www.caswellplating.com/restoration-aids/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html
    Blaster11 and LandofMotards like this.
  8. Blaster11 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    I like the sealing idea to keep the stickers from bubbling up....I may just give that a try as well. I like your build as I am doing the same thing. Contemplating in going with the BMW 5 speed option as I think it will make it better off road and on for my needs. Subscribed!
    treetrimmer and FabOneUp like this.
  9. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks Blaster! I am adding a link to your build so others who want to do the same thing can get more ideas. The 5 speed BMW trany is a nice mod. Be sure and post details if you do that. I am somewhat happy with my 6 speed. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898010
    Blaster11 likes this.
  10. Blaster11 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    I feel the same way about the 6 speed until I get on tight single track (stock gearing) or on the road, which I try to avoid. So would you recommend the Flexx bars and where did you get your stabilizer setup? I have been somewhat slow on my build as of recent but I hope to get going again here soon, so many things to get caught up on. I have a friend of mine who is moving to Ft. Collins soon....maybe I will come out and visit him and forward stage the Husky. :)
    FabOneUp likes this.
  11. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have been slow on my build too Blaster. I was stalling because I was waiting for my backordered radiator to come in. It arrived yesterday, but now I have to finish my taxes. Hope to get in some time on it later this week. I love, love, love my Flexx Bars! Even my Terra will have them at winters end. The stabilizer set up is form BRP and I opted for the set up with an upgraded triple clamp. Jim at BRP is one heck of a guy and his shop is only 30 min. from my house. I always support my locals first if they provide a good product. Kelly at Motosportz also has a great stabilizer set up for these bikes if you don't already know.
    Blaster11 likes this.
  12. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ok, I think I am ready to roll. I have my new radiators, spark plug, and air cleaner. I am almost positive that the Baja Designes OnX light will be mounted above the number plate for convenience. I want to be able to remove it when it isn't in need.

image.jpg

Next is a total experiment and I have no idea how this is going to work or how long it will last. I have all the stuff to do it laying around from other projects, so here goes!

image.jpg

The first several coats of clear are on and the decals are getting buried and sanding in nicely. Caswell sent the epoxy sealer in no time. The sealer is clear, so the transparency of the tank will still be useful.

image.jpg
    Bryce, Daveb511 and LandofMotards like this.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I think your opening a can or worms there. Hard to get stuff to adhere to that type of plastic. Also it is flexible. I would think it will start falling off at some point and get into your sensitive fuel system. For me it is way to much effort for decals. I'd rather buy new decals once a year. Just food for thought.
    FabOneUp likes this.
  14. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    The other issue is that you can no longer see how much fuel you have in the tank. We put stickers on Andy's tank some time ago and they are still on, without so much as a bubble. We used 3M stickers and a heat gun to put the stickers on though.
    FabOneUp likes this.
  15. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

Noted! You may very well be right. If there is a problem I will not be too proud to post it here. I would never mind proving you right Kelly. :cheers: I am too committed at this point to turn back and have to use it. There are a lot of reports of failure with all tank sealers. Poor prep and mixture seem to be an issue along with time (failure after several years). But a lot of people use it with great success. I hope to be one of those people! :D Cafe Husky members have used it successfully here; http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/husky-decal-or-logo-for-plastic-tanks.31472/

I called Caswell and they said it would expand with the tank. They are very confident in their product. But still, I will add a filter for insurance.
    Motosportz likes this.
  16. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

A very good point Tinken, but I made sure the epoxy is clear. It comes in colors if you choose.
    Tinken likes this.
  17. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    There is a lot going on here with changing up bikes and getting ready for the ride season, but here is an update. I took the 511 to my local suspension wizard, Davey Durelle @ http://durelleracing.com/store/index.php?main_page=page&id=2

I set the sag to a height that I was comfortable with and told him that was where I want the suspension set at. I am going to assume that it will be lowered 1 to 1.5 inches. He will also do his magic to make it perform well for my purposes. It will be a couple weeks and it is on the back burner because I also dropped off my race bike for him to set up. It is priority since our race season starts in two weeks and I still need time to fine tune everything before the first race.

Some of you will be glad to know that I have decided not to use the Caswell tank liner. Not worth the risk or head ache if it does not work. Not a big deal if the decals come off, but a serious big deal if the liner fails. Thanks Kelly for making me think twice.

I had some time so I decided to do my own experiment with the crank case ventilation to see for myself what exactly happens here. I put on a clear 1/2" line and ran it up to the front of the bike. If you pull the oil fill cap and blow into the line, it is completely free flowing. When you start the bike it definitely starts building light pressure when you hold your finger over the line. After the bike warms up it starts to put out a light oil mist that eventually starts to build on the walls of the line and run back down into the crank case. Now I fully understand the purpose of the Zip Ty recirculation design with the honeycomb baffle…very nice Tinken. I only ran the bike for about 20 minuets on the bike stand at different RPM's. I want to ride it and see what happens then. I also want to measure the air temperature from the breather to see if my style of riding would truly damage the torque limiter. Any other ideas or input here would be great.

I didn't take any pics of the bike before I brought it to Durelle Racing, so this is all I got! I do have a life beyond moto's. :D
    Image.jpg
  18. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ok, we are back on the 511 project! The work had to be kept to a minimum at the moment due to other time constraints. I managed to get it put together a couple weeks ago to go on our big annual ride, BreckTrek! I literally got it together after all the above mentioned work and took it around the block for a little test run. Then the next day, BAM!, a 260 mile trail and fire road ride! I had zero problems unlike a lot of the other 40 riders. Only about 16 of us completed the ride for various reasons.
    6y3uqy5u.jpg
    My buddies, Sam and Andrew behind me on a BMW G450X (stylish and fast) and a Suzuki DR650 (Boring and ridiculously fun all at the same time).

The IMS tank and seat combo from Zip-Ty was fantastic! It isn't fun when 40 bikes pull in for a fuel stop. It was nice to sit on the side lines to take in some water and snacks while most of them where fueling up. The seat is waaaay better than stock! After being on the bike that long there are some minor changes and mods I want to do to make the whole package complete and I will get to them starting in the next week or two.

The TE511 is a great bike for a light adventure package and it has been proven two years in a row. With that said, I regret to say that both this year and last, two TE310R's had mechanical failures and did not complete the ride. Both units were trucked home. One was a 2013 and failed due to the cooling hoses rubbing through at the bottom of the fuel tank. The other was a 2014 and something failed with the thermostat housing? I know there is a raised tank fix with spacers from Zip-Ty for the 2013, but I have no knowledge of the 2014 housing failure. It may have been a crash for all I know.

Anyway, it's good to have her back in my grubby little hands again!
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Nice work.

It is. I did a 360 mile exploring weekend on mine and it worked fantastic. Wish they had developed this bike further, they had a winner they just needed to refine it as they went. Had they offered a really wide ratio trans for the TE models these would have sold well.
    FabOneUp and Cosmokenney like this.
  20. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Hey Fab, you need to put your skid plate back on that thing. The stock one is fine. You will eventually throw a rock or a series of rocks and puncture your case.
    FabOneUp and Dangermouse449 like this.