1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Husky decal or logo for plastic tanks

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Rossik, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE
    I have heard that standard decals will bubble and eventually fall off any plastic tank once it has petrol in it, what other optiomns are there for Husky tank logo or decals?
    Does anyone have a suggestion, ideally with pics to so I can check them out, thx
  2. Wildebeest90210 Husqvarna
    AA Class

3. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    SAM_4540.JPG

decals percing total covers tank plastic no problem !
    ( and paint other whit prepare spécial plastics boat!)
  4. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    le 4 oct hva plastic 510 e penel.JPG
    res wr 510 penel 2 oct 2012.JPG
    SAM_5680.JPG

510 1985 !
    250 1984 !
  5. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    peinture-marine-aerosol-de-finition-pour-bateaux-de-plaisance-36823-3441867.jpg
    Image-7311.jpg

and hop !
    hawaiidirtrider likes this.
  6. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    HUSQVA012.gif

other possible decals percing !
    evo-mx.com !
    :)
  7. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Caswell is the most effective sealer for the money against the ethanol based fuel predominately in use. The discoloration in the plastic comes from inside to oustside so the discoloration has come completely through the thickness of the wall of the tank so sanding the outside to remove it is ineffective. Once the inside is sealed and cured, the outside can be sprayed with an adhesion promoter then overcoated with flexible base/clear coat with decals sealed between the base and clear. Very important to follow Caswell insructions to the letter or it will potentially fail.
  8. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    SAM_6131.JPG

tank HUSQVARNA
    510 CR 1983 acerbis
    with decals evomx.com
    +
    tank HUSQVARNA
    510 TE 1986 acerbis
    with personal decals !
    SAM_6046.JPG
    SAM_6040.JPG

before and after ! :)
  9. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE
    wow you guys have done so much testing & research to work this stuff out, all really good stuff
    I am thinking of buying an aluminium tank for my 1984 AE500, I want it to look more MX that the high capacity plastic one it came with, has anyone tried this before - which alu tank would fit......maybe off a 1984 CR500 ??
  10. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    81-83 Aluminum tank will fit a 1984, but the seat won't fit right. The 84 seat has an angled front that mates up to the tank, 83 doesn't
    so, you either get a 83 seat or cut the seat cover down where it meets the tank. Also sidecover/number plates are different between 83 & 84, again
    there angled to blend into the tank. Here's some pictures 1) 83 XC with a 81 tank, also a 83 with 84 plastic & 3) stock 83.. so you can see some different

Husky John

Attached Files:

11. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE
    Great thanks John, that healps a lot.....yeah it was the 81 style of tank with the bare metal patch that attracted me to Husky's way back in the day and that's the look I want to achieve on my AE
    Mine was a little mixed up when I bought it, it's an '84 model which had the standard, tall-ish plastic tak but an '85 blue seat, with the long bit going up the tank.... except with no lug on the tag to match up to it - I ditched the seat but plan to use the base, so I guess the next thing is to buy some '84 foam and trim it back like you said. Just realised you can see that on my avatar to the left of this......
    And as much as I like the look of the white framed Huskys from the '80s, I am having my frame painted black just to make it stand out a little, and to personalise it for me....
    thx again, this info gives me more direction, I know what I need to do now, cheers
  12. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    SAM_5028.JPG
    tanks alu difference !
    SAM_3513.JPG
    and after painting
    powder and total
    decals covers tank
    is perfect!
    (decals=MXM or