Te 630 Sub-frame Mod

Discussion in '610/630' started by capt42104, Dec 22, 2011.

1. worker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Is there a top rack and side rack mount combined together for the 630. I am thinking that side mounts typically attach to footpegs or similar ? -- this would allow the top rack get the benefit of that mount -- and therefore relieving subframe from the top rack mount stress
  2. Mastroser Husqvarna
    C Class

I'm studying right now a rack that attach to rear footpegs. But the simulations shows there aren't great benefits for the subframe. I will keep you up to date.
  3. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

4. worker Husqvarna
    AA Class

5. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
  6. worker Husqvarna
    AA Class

@SilverBullet -- yep, you are right. I can see now -- it only bolts to the subframe... strange that there is nothing that out there that can distribute the load form subframe to frame
  7. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    BTW, on page 3 of this thread is my original posts on developing this solution, should you want to read about how it all came about.
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/new-rack-for-te630-coming-from-turbo-city.20567/#post-179933

I have over two thousand miles on my 630 now, more than half of it on very harsh terrain with 25-35lbs on my cargo rack, and there are no signs of fatigue whatsoever anywhere on my subframe. As I've mentioned, a proper weld job is a more clean way to reinforce the sub on these bikes, but it's a lot more hassle and costs more in time and energy not to mention gaining access to a competent welder.

Full size patterns for the plates in PDF for download are on the original thread above, post 102.
    Huskyfly and jtemple like this.
  8. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Looking for my next Husky......
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Africa Twin, 2013 TE310
    Well.......I'm going to get this done CJ. I finally got my bike back with a NEW, fully covered under warranty, subframe. I wouldn't hesitate to at least recommend this to anyone as anything less is just frugal, especially if you want to haul any kind of weight on the back of the 630. Just my 2 cents.....
  9. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Glad to hear your subframe was covered under warranty! Get it reinforced and see you next year in DV.
    Huskyfly likes this.
  10. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    I have had a lot of inquiries for the templates for my reinforcing plates, so it seems to be popular. Have yet to hear from anyone that it didn't work or was too hard to do.

Seems sourcing stock can be a challenge in some locales, so a quick search online turned up these folks in KY. They will cut 6061 'aircraft grade' aluminum flat bar and ship it, a 4' piece of 3/16x 2" bar is about $12. Three feet is plenty to get two plates out of. How can you beat that? http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/alum2.phtml?page=flat&LimAcc= &aident=

BTW, 6061 has twice the tensile strength as standard aluminum sheeting. Very easy to cut out with a hacksaw and finish the edges with a grinder and hand file.
    DYNOBOB and jtemple like this.
  11. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    I've got my plates cut out, been waiting three weeks on the "U-bolts" from Husky. Can't take my footpegs off because I've got an Outback Rack coming from TCI. :applause:

Thanks again Chris!
  12. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I ordered a second set of U bolts myself, for the subframe mod. I should get started with a bunch of work on the bike in a couple weeks.
  13. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'll be ordering a set of u bolts on Monday. Hope they don't take too long to get.
  14. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Good deal guys. I'm over three thousand miles now, half hard trails, no issues, always cargo on the rack. The Kolpin pack has been particularly handy for getting longer range.
  15. capt42104 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ditto here! Almost 3k miles, all off road with about 15+lbs on the rack (fuel and tools). Great mod CJ!
  16. Wrryder Husqvarna
    AA Class

Are you interested in making some of the plates available for sale? I have a weldor available and it would great to buy these plates ready made.

17. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Wrryder, I never really thought about making plates. They are very simple to fab and can be done with a hack saw and a hand file in a few minutes, for pennies. The welding is the trick, and needs to be done properly. Of course you have to pull the bike apart too, then put it together again and not everyone is going to do that. If you have TIG welding equipment available, and good skills, go for it! Listen carefully to any stock sub-frame and you will hear it pleading for help....
  18. Wrryder Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have a good welder here in town, just looking for an easy way to come up with plates.

19. johngil Husqvarna
    A Class

So far so good with my fix. Lots of very tough off road and usually carry too much. I'm also using the Wolfman racks, which I believe helps.

[IMG]
    Huskyfly likes this.
  20. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yep, that'll do it! I'll never understand why the factory didn't do this to start with, or how they came up with that side stand thing!
    Huskyfly and KLOC like this.