Te 630 Sub-frame Mod

Discussion in '610/630' started by capt42104, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Looking for my next Husky......
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Africa Twin, 2013 TE310
    I know how good you are at making kick stands so if you sold plates I'd want mine autographed. :busted:
  2. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Ken is right, they are really easy to shape with simple hand tools. And can be bolted on by just removing both rear fenders and pulling up the battery box. It's cheap and it works really well.

I've always said doing a proper weld job is really the way to go, but it's a lot more complicated and requires a lot more disassembly. Plus the more you beef up the sub back there the more it puts strain elsewhere. I've heard of bent and broken lower mounting bolts, and cracks along welds. DO NOT PUT HARDER BOLTS IN THE LOWER MOUNT. Bend them, replace them, you don't want to break something else.

So beef it up one way or the other, then take it easy on this assembly. It's not made for carrying a lot of weight. This is a dualsport, not a round-the-world adventure bike.
  3. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Did mine over the weekend:

[IMG]
  4. Nick Taylor Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Got 2 of these spare if anyone is interested. I also have a metre of aluminium flat bar. I got 2 extra u-bolts from Husqvarna but I don't need them now. £20 for bar and U-bolts.
    IMG_3766.jpg
  5. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I was hoping my giant loop hooks would reach those brackets, since I removed the passenger grab handles. No go. The bag straps aren't long enough. I just put the hooks on the plastics; should be fine.
  6. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Make an extension loop with a bucklet to connect to. Straps are easy to customize and configure. I would not hook to plastic, the stuff barely holds onto the bike. lol.
  7. Nick Taylor Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Finally got mine finished today!

IMG_3848.jpg
  8. djc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    f800gs ktm200 r1200gsa
    hi, have now got 3000k on my 630 & thought the rear subframe would be fine{yes all these posts are here for a reason}ihave a tci rack & kolpin 5l fuel container, the rear frame broke the other day & had to limp the bike home & yes its a bit of a job to remove the sub frame,i had mine re welded & gusseted as seen on this site & refit & now its as strong as ever,fool me thinking she will be right mate!so any new 630 owners reading this take cj browns advise & make up the brackets shown here as its a lot easier than what ihad to do
  9. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    Which TCI rack?

I just beat the hell out of mine for two weeks w/ a heavy load and guarantee it would have broke but for CJ's mod.

10. djc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    f800gs ktm200 r1200gsa
    its a borrego rack & all ive carried so far is the fuel
  11. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    As much as I like TCI stuff, I think they should recommend frame mods w/ those racks (maybe he does?). He does with the Outback rack and IMO it's needed less w/ it than others because it carries a lot of weight/vibration down to the rear footpegs.

[IMG]

12. worker Husqvarna
    AA Class

I emailed for a few month to couple of the luggage makers -- nobody is planning/making luggage rack that distributes weight out of the subframe.

I am playing with ALICE frame (LC-1) mil surplus frame to see if can mount on the sides with simple straps (attaching to passenger footpeg for good load bearing and passenger handle)
    Notice also the bag when mounted would slightly go over to the left outside of the heat shied
    so I plan to install giant loop heathsield that costs more than the alice frame and bag (http://www.giantloopmoto.com/products/hot-springs-heat-shield)

Do you guys think it is a horrible idea?

alice_frm_1157.JPG
  13. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Worker, it looks to me that the bags are way too far forward! Your legs will be right up against the bags, and you will be sitting partially on top of them. It is going to impair your ability to use your feet and legs, and make it almost impossible to move your weight back when needed. Do a full mock up with the bags loaded to make sure you are happy with the position, all other considerations aside for starters.
  14. worker Husqvarna
    AA Class

yes, this picture is perhaps better -- there is enough space alice_frm_1158.JPG
  15. johngil Husqvarna
    A Class

I think you would be better off with some Wolfman racks. Trail tested in my case and they are designed to transfer quite a bit of weight off of the rear of the subframe.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  16. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    +1 on the Wolfman setup. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for. If they survive the hammering they take in Death Valley, especially down the Saline Valley Rd, they will survive about anything. I have them on two bikes, and never any issues. Of course, my 630 sub-frame is reinforced too, for insurance.
  17. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250i & 701 Enduro, 501 & 630 sold
    Like a goose I didn't listen... Went for a squirt through the Belanglo State Forest yesterday, too lazy to wash the bike afterwards as I'd been on it for 8 hours. So this is what greeted me this morning:

Break 1.JPG Break 2.JPG Break 6.JPG Break 3.JPG Break 4.JPG Break 5.JPG

I was only carrying a Wolfman Peak Tailbag containing tools & a spare tube, on the standard Husky rack. Probably the 2nd & 3rd gear jumps on firetrails that did the damage. Am surprised, as the weight wasn't much. Husky shouldn't offer a rack if the bike can't carry anything on it without breaking.
  18. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    I agree 100%.
    Huskyfly likes this.
  19. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    I too with red face must admit to the same mistake. After 13 months and 14,000 miles my subframe met the ghost last week also. Just returned from a week riding rocks in the desert. Halfway through the 6th day my rear end was flapping same as Russ's photos. I thought I was too old and smart for it to happen to me but instead I guess I was just too stubborn and stupid. I also limited weight on the rear and was somewhat reserved when jumping thinking that would save me. However a week of banging over big rocks and being forced to jump many wash outs, ruts and crevices or else turn around or go way off trail was too much I guess.

My subframe actually cracked in two places on each side. I'll post some photos after getting the bike washed and stripped down.

There is a little silver lining in this for me though I guess. Once subframe rewelded and reinforcement gussets added in I will no longer be reserved when hitting whoops and jumps off road now. My fun factor will go up significantly.

_
  20. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    Has anyone who has done the bolt on reinforcing checked after a trip loaded to see if there's any stressing marks on the subframe ?