TE 450 Injector Test

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by B1anderson, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    your problem is gonna be (in likeliest order) the internal fuel line, the pump, or the pressure regulator.... or some combo of these.

this all comes out on the aluminum plate; lay your less-than-half-full tank on it's side (vent line up) and remove it for a quick inspection. look for a small crack in the hose or a loose clamp, cracked fitting etc. have a fire extinguisher nearby. be smart; this is gasoline we're talking about.

here's a pump for $18.99:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-In-Tank-30mm-Fuel-Pump-for-Husqvarna-Motorcycle-Scooter-/331813569205?fits=Make:Husqvarna|Model:TE450&hash=item4d41a142b5:g:aloAAOSwwpdW9j7f&vxp=mtr

here's your pump/line/reg as it comes out of the tank:
    tc250 fuel pump 2 sm.jpg

...and here it is with the cover off, exposing the pressure regulator:
    tc250 fuel pump A 1.jpg
  2. B1anderson Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 KX250F
    I tested pump while out of tank and it was pumping fuel but only at 10 psi. Then it stopped pumping but pump was running.
  3. B1anderson Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 KX250F

Craigy, is there a way to test regulator by itself?
  4. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    sure, I guess: hook the intake (to the regulator) hose to a hand pump; hook the pressure gauge to the FI hose and start pumping: if it goes to 40-50psi and stays there- you're golden. if not, you're not.

caveat: I've never done this.
  5. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I'd guess holding 50# pressure of fuel is a little different than holding 50# pressure of air?

Is that regulator just a spring on a seat and seal?

At beyond 50# it just opens flow back to the tank and the valve closes again?
  6. craigy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 450 08
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 125EXC, Ossa SDR
    I would put the pressure gauge on the pump outlet side and check what it is doing. If you see over 10 psi then the there is either a leak or the reg is failing.
  7. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    nope: pressure is pressure; fluid is fluid (air is a fluid, liquid gasoline is a fluid. the biggest difference is that liquids compress very little under pressure, gasses compress a lot... but the force is the same).

the pressure-released fluid flows back into the tank, near the intake of your pump. And you oughta see the plumbing contortions they went through on my bike (the pressure regulator is about a foot away from the pump intake) to get the pressure-released gasoline back near the pump intake.

spring: yeah, that's what I'd guess. it doesn't hafta be super accurate pressure.
  8. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    wait... I missed something important: did you test ONLY the fuel pump? and you only got 10psi? ...your hunt is over; it's the fuel pump.

I was under the impression that you just hooked a pressure gauge to the FI hose (the standard test; and easy to do with everything on the bike) and that gave you the 10psi reading. sorry about that.

don't be worrying about the pressure regulator or anything else for right now.
  9. pcross71 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've got a similar no-start condition on an 08 TE450 and am working through the fuel system from start to end. Pump was shot so put in new CaCycleworks pump, gates submersible fuel line, Duralast FF3330DL filter. Regulator opens up with air compressor pressure when i seal off the other end of the line but I'd like to pressure test - can anyone recommend an inexpensive but decent gauge? - does it just connect onto a length of fuel hose with clamps or does it have the connector to click into the Husky fuel line?

Second thing: i wanted to pull the injector to give it a cleaning but one of the screws had seized, threaded head, etc. Some dremel work to convert to a flat blade slot worked - will be switching to allen heads. Now I cannot for the life of me get the wire harness connector to let go from the injector. Concerned about breaking the injector - is there anything to this other the pressing in the clip on one side and wiggling off? Have hit it with PB Blaster and will try again in the AM.

Have not tried to start since putting in the pump as I want to get the injector clean - but suspect the pump will do the trick. Worth getting everything to 100% while i'm in there.

Thanks
  10. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    Try using a flat head screwdriver under the connector while trying to wiggle it loose. Mine was on there pretty good, but just a good tight grip and wiggling it loosened it up.
  11. Steven Moller Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW k100RS, KTM 1190 Adventure
    I am very late to this thread. I have an '09 TE 450. With plenty of gas in the tank the bike dies (usually miles from home). During this bench session, I'm replacing the battery and have removed the fuel injection system from the tank to replace the fuel filter (brand/model recommendation?).

There is a loose orange wire with a small transistor looking component attached to the end of the wire. It is obvious where the wire was attached, but the little bracket is broken (poor design). What does the Orange wire do, and is there a better way to re-attach it?

I don't know how to test the fuel pump which would be nice before spending $150 bucks for a CACycleWork replacement pump or end up walking home again.

IMG_0669.jpg
  12. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM125, SWM RS500R & Superdual
    The orange wire and the 'resistor' is the low fuel light sensor.
    A genuine fuel filter is available through SWM (is in Australia anyway), part number 8000H0183. The filter has a 6mm inlet and 8mm outlet, so I went with genuine so I knew it'd fit.
    You may need a length of 6mm submersible efi fuel hose too. I destroyed the original plastic pipe getting it off the pump.
    Generic fuel pumps are easily available, they're the same pump KTM use in a lot of their bikes.
  13. maddog82 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450
    Looks like your pump has slipped up a little. Read this thread
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/fi-fuel-pump-mod.3053/
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/KEMSO-Inta...qvarna&hash=item23cbe2f58b:g:e6oAAOSwFWVd4j~b
    I have this pump in my 2008 TE450 and it's worked fine for a year or so.
    GrooveThang likes this.
  14. maddog82 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450
    I used a Duralast FF3330DL filter, 5/16 submersible fuel line, 1/4 x 5/16 brass barb adapter and an Ebay Kemso pump. Now I can easily change the fuel filter found at auto parts stores.
    IMG_3249.jpg
    Borntoride71 and P-A Calmhede like this.