TE 450 Injector Test

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by B1anderson, Apr 16, 2016.

1. B1anderson Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 KX250F
    Trouble shooting starting issue on my 2010 TE 450 heard thru a friend you can test injector with 9volt battery. Anyone out there try this and is there anything I need to be aware of so I did not damage injector?
  2. craigy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 450 08
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 125EXC, Ossa SDR
    I did this, it worked very well.

454x likes this.
  3. B1anderson Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 KX250F
    Thanks, Craigy. Time to reassembly bike to see if that fixed my starting problem.
    Borntoride71 likes this.
  4. B1anderson Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 KX250F
    Bike back together but still will not start without use of starting fluid? Thinking might be injector not getting power to connector. Is there a fuse or relay that send power to injector?
  5. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    How's your fuel pump?
  6. craigy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 450 08
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 125EXC, Ossa SDR
    Does the fuel pump run when you turn on the ignition?
    If you can't hear it, check for power to it. If there is power remove pump and check. If there is no power check pump relay and for broken wires.
    If you can hear it, check the outlet for pressure. If there is no pressure remove pump from tank and check filter and lines.
    duggoey likes this.
  7. Bad Juju Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki M109
    check the filter in the top of the injector.... you will need to replace it if you take it out. most automotive injector places will have a replacement. wind in a wood screw and pull it out with pliers.
    pump pressure should be 42-43 psi FWIW. Also check hoses inside fuel pump one of mine had a split next to the crimped metal band.
    Good luck
  8. B1anderson Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 KX250F
    Pump is coming on. I disconnected hose from injector and tested pump into gas can ad it appears to ave good pressure but it did shut off after a few cranks. Not sure if this is safety deal or if pump is going bad. I pulled injector from carb or and tested it while still connected to electrical system to see if maybe is was relay or other. Gas shot out of injector but not with too much pressure. Mayber due to week battery.
  9. B1anderson Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 KX250F
  10. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

It's a safety deal.

pump stops if motor is not running.
  11. B1anderson Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 KX250F
    I tested injector off bike as suggested by Craigy in previous post and it seams to be working ok. Hoping this. Is sign filter is OK.
  12. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    I just pulled my injector last night to clean it like the video shows. I can't believe how easy that is. Used a 9v battery and some B12 chemtool. That was so dang easy. Been meaning to do that for 7-8 years now.

Any luck yet B1anderson?
  13. B1anderson Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 KX250F
    No, 268fords.

I removed injector from throttle body and tested it while connected to bike and it appears to be working. Fuel spits from injector (not steady stream) which I figure should be right or you would run thru fuel too quick. Getting spark to plug thru new battery and bike still start up with starting fluid but not fresh fuel? Thought maybe related to TPS but there seams to be no adjustment. Guess I need to pay to put in shop.
  14. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    How was the bike running before it acted up? Was there anything weird going on?
  15. craigy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 450 08
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 125EXC, Ossa SDR
    I'm thinking fuel pressure is probably too low. Check if it is around 45 psi. injector output should be a very fine spray at 45 psi.
  16. B1anderson Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 KX250F
    268fords,

Did not run bad, stalled a couple times and had to pull choke to start when prior rides, I did not. Did not have chance to ride for few months after that so battery was toast but other than that, nothing major.
  17. B1anderson Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 KX250F
    Thanks Craigy,

I'll work on that next.
  18. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Have you checked the air boot between the throttle body and the head? They are crap, and a replacement is just as old as the stock one. They begin to crack all over. Quick fix is to smear some silicone around it. Mine hadn't began to leak, but was cracking.
  19. B1anderson Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 KX250F
    Hooked up pressure gauge to pump and getting less than 10 psi. Local shop in CA. Says pump is $540.....i see some post talking about a regulator but I can't seam to find out if there is one for 2010?
  20. craigy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 450 08
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 125EXC, Ossa SDR
    There are plenty of options for the pump and regulator other than the factory parts. I bought a pump on eBay for $40, cycle works https://ca-cycleworks.com/ca-cycleworks-products/fuel-pumps/fp-huscan sell you a pump and reg. I suspect your filter is blocked though. You will have to remove the pump from the tank to check it and you can then check your pump output pressure and reg at the same time.