1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE 250/310 xlite starter issues...

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by smokinrider, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Ray Della Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250
    SWH, I had the same issue happen to me, I ride "12 TE250 and was just out riding some trails. Then my electric start would not work any more, dead! Kick started and went fine. Rode bit more then turned bike off thinking I had just blown a fuse, removed the seat to have a look, as I was looking I noticed oil dripping onto the ground, I looked around the engine bay and noticed that the starter motor had broken off just like yours had, but only worse, mine had broken off that badly it had cracked the engine casing where the starter bolts into cause oil to flow out while running.

So for me to fix this, I now must replace the entire engine casing, starter motor and the electrical wiring cause the motor had pushed some wires onto the exhaust and they had melted.

Have you had any further issues after your fix?????
  2. Moesgaard Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2011
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawi kx250f '12, Montesa 4rt '05
    well..... My TE310 from 2011 2250km (thats 1400 miles sir) have also this starting issue. former owner got new worm, corona, spraggear, start motor and other bits and pieces. even got the case welded after, the start gear left "left the building". I trible checked the valve settings and its spot on, even tried tighter and looser settings (got the hot cams shim set, from my orange days). if I let the injection prime, it starts easy 1. kick, but only neutral and about every 2. kick, the start motor is pulled along, but still starts 1. kick. the bikes a keeper, so I want to loose the starter for good, so it don't leave me stranded in the upcoming 2014 enduro races.

Have anyone tried to take of the starter assembly and put the tc cover plate one? shall the things behind the flywheel (spacer, bearing cage, ring gear, freewheel with retainer) stay, go all together or is there a distance piece or something else on the tc model. can't seem to find pictures, drawings of the tc set-up.

cheers Peter
  3. JLou Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    250 TE 2010 ( New Motor )
    Other Motorcycles:
    TWO KTM GS 125 1984 + 1985

Hi, i have take off the starter assembly... So i have made my own cover plate on my work :D. And, on don't think i will puting it on later because this bike start with kick easily like a 2 Stroke...
  4. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    The OEM TC cover piece/e start eliminator* is not expensive and allows the oiling oriface to still flow. Its the proper way to do the e start removal, just setup like the TC250.

*OEM P/N 8000 A7010
  5. JLou Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    250 TE 2010 ( New Motor )
    Other Motorcycles:
    TWO KTM GS 125 1984 + 1985
    The mine too! ;-)
  6. my_urban_chaos Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwak Z1000
    I heard there is an updated starter gear behind the flywheel that fixes about 70% of the starting issues. Has anyone heard of this and if so do you have a part number? My 310 doesn't want to start with the magic button, but the kickstarter does work.
  7. Bikesvinger Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250R 2014
    Do you know if the e-start problems are fixed on 2014 bikes.
  8. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

So far so good on my '14. I preemptively shimmed my compression release exhaust valve tight to .005" and am hoping for the best. Kick starts and e starts easily.
  9. Bikesvinger Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250R 2014
    That sounds promising. Lets hope the problems are history.
  10. Moesgaard Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2011
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawi kx250f '12, Montesa 4rt '05
    anyone who has replaced the starter motor, and has the old one laying around, want to sell it/give it away. mine works fine, but the end piece/ end cover is cracked. one from europe is to be preferred, I live in Denmark!

I by the way have mounted the bevel gear seat plug from a tc250, and removed the starter assembly all together.
  11. mast Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310 2011
    Other Motorcycles:
    VFR VTEC / Montesa 310
    the new set kit is 8539725 reference for 250/310 2011 and after

i search it in usa
  12. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Hmmmm, I have a lot of reading to do on all of this. I just bought a 13 TE310R with power-up kit and haven't been able to start it with the e-button yet. It did start that way in the shop, but was warm. I started it the old fashioned way today, and when warm, still no go. I saw the comment on the decompression so need to look into that. The dealer said that the bike will be very tight for a while and after loosening up the e-start should be fine. Only a 30 day warranty! Guess I'll ride a bit tomorrow and see how it goes. New gel battery is being fully charged now.
  13. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    My 2012 TE310 has started perfect for 57 hours and 1400 miles so far. How big of a job is it to remove the starter system and install the TC plate? I may just pull it all before it goes boom. I have kicked it and it starts easy that way too.
  14. mast Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310 2011
    Other Motorcycles:
    VFR VTEC / Montesa 310
    i need to know how can i for remove the crew, on the left or on the right. Thanks

P1020394.jpg
  15. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    I am not sure if it is a left or right hand thread, sorry.

It looks like dirt is inside your cover. Try adding gasket sealant to the rubber grommet where the wires enter when you reassemble (see red circle below).

rubber gromet.jpg
  16. mast Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310 2011
    Other Motorcycles:
    VFR VTEC / Montesa 310
    Thanks Boogie, it's not my bike. i take it on the forum, but the engine is the same.

My problem is the freewhell after
  17. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    The issue on my 13 TE310 was diagnosed as a bad starter. The tech said it was drawing 600 amps! New starter on order and I hope there is nothing internal causing the starter to fail. Guess we will know when the new bit is installed and tested .
  18. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

It's a regular right hand thread.

You will need a flywheel holder or use an impact wrench to take it off....it will blow right off.
    you will need a flywheel puller to remove the flywheel.

I just took my 2010 flywheel off to address a stuck sprag.

That "dirt" in the pic is gasket sealant.
  19. mast Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310 2011
    Other Motorcycles:
    VFR VTEC / Montesa 310
    thanks R little
  20. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Does this kit work on a 2010 TE250 in the US?