1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE 250/310 xlite starter issues...

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by smokinrider, Apr 18, 2012.

1. mainjet Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    txc 310 2013 , tc 310 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    ninja 990 r / 520 ktm exc 2001
    This sucks,i have been having problems and was told at first to keep battery charged durring the week/last two races i have had failer,no estart and very hard to get fired up kicking.We have also had a backfiring and cutting out problem but reset tps and seem to solve it.I still think it was a eletrical miss and now no starter at all last time after it coooled down it ran fine and started electric.A class gncc 50 + class 2013 310 txc
  2. Rudelgazelle Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310R
    My TE310 MY13 is in the shop again. Is backfired like crap and the throttle response was very bad. (a little better in higher revs) The engine wouldn´t even start up when cold. Happened for the second time now. Third time in the shop and just 8 hours on the clock... :banghead: Last time the fuel injector had to be calibrated.
  3. Jody Stewart Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Looks like mine was the crown wheel. Looks like the worm gear has been chewing at it !!!
    [IMG]
    It has got deepish score marks
    Will give it a proper test tomorrow !!
  4. SWH Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011/12 TE310 X-Lite
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    Hi Guys, 2011 TE310 ['12my, has the switchable maps and 12 point injector, although it doesn't seem to have the Leo Vince sourced exhaust with the stubby cap, has the longer version of the 2011 bikes] new Husky owner, new member, old problem, or a slight variation of it anyway....
    Went out for a bit of practice round the enduro course next door the other night in preparation for my first event next weekend, stalled it coming out of a rut on a sticky climb, nothing serious, just rider incompetence, and had 2 failed e-starts. The 3rd one everything jammed up, similar to how I've seen a couple of others describe it, not the common 'lazy' starter issue but a full lock up, kicker and all.
    After recovering it back to the shed and taking the exhaust off to get to the starter I found the flange was cracked off on the bevel gear casting which bolts the worm set onto the crank case. Undoing the stud saw the bent bolt shear off. Unbolting the lower rear bolt in the set saw the other flange fall off.
    The upper front flange had been cracked for a while, prior to my ownership looking at the colour of the ali, the lower rear one was fresh.
    Whipping the cover off the crank case showed the corona wheel crescent groove looked pretty standard, no scoring, and the worm drive wasn't damaged.
    Diagnosis is that the broken bolt had been over torqued weakening / stretching it [possibly when the parts, if they have been, were replaced with updated versions, I'll find out if they had been], allowing movement of the worm set. The resistance around TDC combined with the end float in the worm drive caused the worm gear to drive itself up on top of the corona wheel teeth, jamming the worm and corona together effectively seizing the engine.
    I stripped the starter motor down, that's all good [2 pieces of junior hacksaw blade to hold the brushes out so that the shaft could be slid back through them into the end cap was a nifty trick I hit on]. Bevel gear set doesn't run particularly smoothly but that may be normal, although the casting is toast so the whole set may be replaced anyway. Broken stud needs extracting from the crank case. Haven't checked the sprag clutch but it's off back to the dealer [Dual Sport Motorcycles at Ledbury] for the rebuild so I expect he will do that.
    I'll let you know what the outcome is when it's back next week.
    Disappointing start, because it's a beautiful bike to ride and only that morning I'd been tormenting my mate with his CRF250X about buying the wrong bike after a recent radiator failure..... booo....
    Cheers
    Simon
  5. Indorider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TZM, Suzuki RGR (2 smokers)
    Simon, it's that last sentence that did you in. Just like when I say, "Wow! no traffic today"! I can be pretty sure that within 5 minutes I'll be stuck "bumper to bumper"...:banghead:
  6. Jody Stewart Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Sounds nasty that!!! Unlucky
    My bevel gears weren't particularly smooth either.
    Hope you get it sorted.

Had a proper play with mine now I changed those gears. What a difference, it actually starts now!!
  7. SWH Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011/12 TE310 X-Lite
    Other Motorcycles:
    Seemed a bit nasty at the time! Not a difficult fix but a real irritation. image.jpg
  8. JLou Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    250 TE 2010 ( New Motor )
    Other Motorcycles:
    TWO KTM GS 125 1984 + 1985

Ouch... it's like mine.... that is why i have prefer to make a cover plate and use only kick.... i don't want to broke it again and destroy my engine...

I think this part is a misconception from engeener.... and there is not good solution to solve it...
  9. SWH Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011/12 TE310 X-Lite
    Other Motorcycles:
    I wondered whether getting a stainless/billet shoe machined to sit around the bevel gear casting and snug down over it to the existing fixing holes might prevent it happening again?
    Bit tragic that a 'fix' like this is necessary on what is otherwise such a good bike.
    I can't give up my magical button....!
  10. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The cover plate from the 2010 TC250 will bolt right on and you can replace the whole starter system.
  11. JLou Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    250 TE 2010 ( New Motor )
    Other Motorcycles:
    TWO KTM GS 125 1984 + 1985

I made one at my job... so, it was free for me! :)
  12. LFTKIKR Husqvarna
    A Class

Follow up. My bike starts all the time now after the starter gear fix.

on to the next problem.
  13. SWH Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011/12 TE310 X-Lite
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well, Paul at Dual Sport sorted me out!
    Did the job straight away and the cost was very reasonable [none, warranty!], I can't recommend him highly enough!
    Dropped the bike in on a Monday evening, collected it Thursday afternoon.
    Everything is back running sweetly, the sprag clutch had seized [as is their habit] and jammed the starter in and subsequently cracked the casting.
    Hit the ground running [numerous times!] on my first enduro on Sunday with no reliability problems.
    Let's hope it stays that way!
    Next one on the 20th!

1394450_10201653627776622_99733162_n.jpg
    Indorider likes this.
  14. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    My 2011 TE310 never has had any issues, however my 2013 TXC310R had issues, including a burned up starter motor (replaced warranteed) and also got the bulletin update for the gears and at that time I had the stator replaced under warranty as well. after inspection revealed deep pitting from the starter clutch rollers. Now the thing is fine.
  15. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Not sure how 4st got up to 8 stickies, but since this is extremely well documented, I am unsticking this now.
  16. Jody Stewart Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Mines stopped electric starting again when hot.... Very annoyed
  17. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    My 2013 TXC310R was a problem child, so far after new flywheel, bulletin updated starter gear set, new starter motor, new starter relay, earthx battery..........its been working really well...(please no hex by saying that)
  18. Mike Rotella Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC310R
    Is there some sort of recall on these ? "bulletin updated starter gear set"???
  19. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    Yes... Unfortunately Husky themselves doesn't send out the bulletin to owners of record (like most auto manufacturers might) so it's up to you to ask dealer to run the vin and see if yours already has the upgraded parts or not.
  20. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    It was a low serial VIN number effect . need to check the numbers for application. the later production machines were all ready updated in the production line.
    Bikesvinger likes this.