SWM 650 -> The 630 returns!

Discussion in '610/630' started by Erik Italhusky, May 29, 2015.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Wow 08 huskys live again!!! Kinda cool. Will be interesting to watch this unfold.
  2. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    Actually, the Enduro World Championship will be hosted in some towns near Bergamo, on the mountains. Since those places have the closest twisty roads to my home, I used to go there with my 610 when I used it on the road (now I use it only on tracks). The SWM will be there and will show the new bikes, there will be a press launch and they will also allow people to try the 500 and 300 on a specific, temporary circuit they will build. I'm considering to go there, enjoy the races, see those SWMs and maybe try one of them. I hope it will be sunny! EDIT: https://www.google.it/?gfe_rd=cr&ei...gws_rd=ssl#q=rovetta bergamo weather forecast :doh:
    This is the (very long) leaflet of the event, including the history of it; unfortunately, it's in Italian only.
    Motosportz likes this.
  3. Chillybean Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310, SM630, 72 WR 250. 89 WR 250
    This is awesome:banana:I would rather slit my wrists than have to buy an Austrian Husky. My SM630 is my favorite bike ever and my 310 is my 2nd favorite bike ever. I just love the Italian built bikes, I can see some SWM's coming my way if they come to Australia.
  4. Erik Italhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna Nuda 900R & SM630
    The 650 sale in Australia starts next month. :)
    roma258 likes this.
  5. Erik Italhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
  6. Erik Italhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    This is the Australian importer: http://www.mojomotorcycles.com.au/
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    No listing for USA.
  8. Erik Italhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Not yet! They have said that the US is an important market. Guess they are still in negotiation.
  9. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    The new 650 has the same bore and stroke as the 630. The suspension specs are not in line with the 630. IDK if they messed up on posting the SM specs on the R page, but either way the travel is 1 to 2 inches less at both ends?
  10. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Apparently marzocchi is getting out of the motorcycle suspension biz, so the front may be different, if not right away, but eventually anyway.
  11. Erik Italhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    They will transfer to Kayaba. So that probably is the reason.
  12. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    Comparing the specs on the RS 650R/TE630/TE610 (see attached): lower seat hight, less ground clearance, less suspension travel, a narrower gearbox... it looks like a less aggressively dirt-oriented bike. I hoped things might go in the opposite direction. One positive piece of news is that they have lowered the weight, but still not to the 610 levels. There's currently no HP ratings. The narrower gearbox is a curious decision. One of the sweet things about the 610 is its wide gearing.

I think I'll hold onto my 610, and hope SWM's next dual-sport offerings cater more to the light-weight adventure crowd... I'd be more interested in a sub-500cc pakage with a luggage-worthy subframe, long-range gas tank, reliability, and long service intervals. Both KTM's 390 Adventure bike (about to be released in India - see here) and the CCM 450 are chasing this idea.

Attached Files:

13. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS

The 650R is a supermoto, so the specs are in line with the 630SMS, not the TE, hence the shorter travel, lower clearance, lower weight and shorter 5th and 6th.

If i ever rebuild the lower end on my SMS, I'll probably swap in some TE 5th/6th gears for smoother highway cruising.
  14. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    Thanks - The specs were pulled from the RS 650 R (Enduro) page, so I am comparing the 21"/18" TE610, TE630, and RS 650 R Enduro, not the supermotos. I edited my post to clarify.

Also, in my workshop manual, the TE610 and SM610 2008 have the same gearbox ratios (?)
  15. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS

I think they copied/pasted and didn't update for the RS.
    The 610's are the same between models, but the 630 TE has a higher 5th and 6th than the 630 SMS for cruising due to having a lower sprocket ratio.
  16. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    RDTCU said: The TE610, TE630 and SM610 all have the same gearbox, but the 630 SM has a narrower 5th and 6th than all the others, and when SM 630 owners ever rebuild the lower end, they probably swap in some TE 5th/6th gears for smoother highway cruising.

There. Fixed that for you :-)

Hope so. It does look like they have listed the SM 630 gearbox on the RS 650 R page. The other specs are all different between the SuperMoto and Enduro pages. Lets just hope its a typo.
  17. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well if you just can't wait there is this bike. http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/mcy/5080001611.html Almost showroom fresh 14km or about 10 miles! The price is Canuck buck but with our exchange rate $5250 USD. We cannot import this bike from the US to Canada but maybe it could go the other way Canada to US, you get to do the research.
  18. Erik Italhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Motosportz likes this.
  19. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I see the 250/340 looks like an x-lite top end with a "real e-start" bottom end, although it is a billet machined stator cover.
    The 125 looks production-ish,
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    They look like they are taking this very seriously and making some good choices. Like what I see. Interesting.