SWM 650 -> The 630 returns!

Discussion in '610/630' started by Erik Italhusky, May 29, 2015.

1. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    It looks like they put a real chain guide on the off-road version (the SM version still uses the same one as the TE 630)
    I ended up putting a TM Designworks guide on my 630. I just didn't trust the original to survive a rocky off-road excursion...

[IMG]
  2. Scud Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 701 Enduro, 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Ducati ST3

Hey Ken - sounds like you've got some nice options. The Moto Guzzi ticks all the street boxes for me. :thumbsup:

Anyway - I had a KTM 950 Adventure for a while, which I think is another contender for the title of "Do-it-all-motorcycle." But the 630 seems to me (and perhaps to you) to take the title if one's definition of doing it all includes even more dirt or riding solo. I dropped the KTM on some tight stuff and needed help righting it. I think I could manage the 630 solo.
  3. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    Reading the news from 2014, it looks like the plan involves designing in Italy, then "producing the parts in China to lower down the cost then send the parts to Italy to be assembled, in this way we can sell the product in a lower price range than the likes of KTM. This project is going to allow the end buyers to pay between 70- and 80-percent of the KTM price but offers same performance characteristics." (see here, also here).

I like the lower price point, and perhaps parts will be cheaper too. Its hard to believe materials and manufacturing quality will be the same. Hopefully they have really good QA. I'd rather pay a little more and have a bike that doesn't fail in the middle of nowhere.

The articles also say SWM will be releasing an "Adventure" bike. What I suspect this means is that, like BMW with the Terra, they will interpret “adventure” to mean “big-bike”, and make something heavier, more street friendly, more mass market, but less dirt capable.

On the other hand, since the 630 is making a comeback of sorts, today I’m feeling optimistic :) . So maybe SWM will follow those Husky roots, and create an adventure package by taking the 630 upmarket: making it tougher, faster, lighter, even more reliable, with higher spec suspension and a solid range of tank/lighting/luggage options. They’ll absorb Sibersky Extreme's comments on Adv bike selection, look closely at what CCM is up to in terms of comfort and customizations, and then remember the FE570 in terms of performance. Now that would be interesting!
  4. Erik Italhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna Nuda 900R & SM630
    That was the original plan. However management didn't believe that people would like Chinese parts on their bikes. So they chose to keep the production of the parts at the same suppliers as those of the "old" Husqvarna. They made some great contracts and can still offer bikes at an unbelievable price. :) The only bikes that have a few Chinese parts are the Retro's.

I can't tell you a lot on the future though (secrets :P). However this article has some good information. Also please note that those articles are already dated and plans have changed. :)
    JonDirt likes this.
  5. Scud Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    LAHuskyrider and troy deck like this.
  6. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
  7. Scud Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah - plenty of ways to interpret any set of three initials; I'm just playing.

On the serious side, I was not familiar with SWM. It's an interesting history (wikipedia) and it looks like they have a great lineup of bikes for the real-world rider. That 440 Grand Milano is delicious - and could be a fun commuter. I'll trade my Honda 350-Four for it right now.
  8. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    I got a response saying engines would be available as a spare part through dealers late this year :-)
    Also asked if I wanted just one, or many. Lol. Group buy anyone?
    Theo likes this.
  9. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630

Well, after what I had gone through I'd sure be interested in buying another engine...seriously. The big caveat, of course, is price...but if it's reasonable (and I mean reasonable- i.e. I'm not expecting a new engine for 1K) then I'd indeed be interested. Huge thanks for making that inquiry and for keeping us posted.
  10. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS

I'd probably be in for one at some point, assuming it would be pretty much plug and play in a 630, maybe another to put on a gokart, haha
  11. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That is what my SM610 is.

Extra pair of 17-19" wheels sporting tkc-80s and revalved suspension.
    JonXX likes this.
  12. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I e-mailed the company to ask about 2T's. They said the 2T endures(yes plural) will be unveiled at the Eicma show this fall.
  13. edmoto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLX400SR, XR250R, VOR503, GG XC300e
    Wallybean... WTF?!?!? I had just settled on my next two bike purchases... this bike (the SWM "630" Enduro) and the Yamaha YZ250X, and now you say these folks are going to do 2T's? Is that another bike I'll need to buy? And I'm still planning on getting a 165 kit for my CR125 once my lottery ticket is picked. You are a bad influence.

But, like they say in the movie "Field of Dreams"... build it and I will come. :)
    wallybean likes this.
  14. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    yes but he's a very good bad influence :love:
  15. Erik Italhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    True indeed. :) There are three different "surprises" coming in 2016/2017. A 2 stroke line-up is one of them.

Erik
    Italhusky.com
    wallybean, JonDirt and Norman Foley like this.
  16. Scud Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Will there be a street-legal, 500cc, 2-stroke that is California emissions compliant?

That would be newsworthy...... :D
  17. Erik Italhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    That would be magical. :P There is a 2stroke coming that was a secret development project at Husqvarna before the takeover though... so who knows? :P
  18. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    We need some Ski Doo technology influenced 2 strokes, E-TEC injection.
    Hell, they could effectively half an 800 e-tec for a single cyl power plant, all the developments been done.
  19. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS

And patented...
  20. edmoto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLX400SR, XR250R, VOR503, GG XC300e
    Could someone clarify something for me? Does SWM have all the tech, designs, and people from the Italian Husky era? Exception being the 250cc, 310cc, 450cc four stroke designs that were sold to Gas Gas? Does that sound right? Or in other words, SWM has the 2 stroke designs (the old 125, 250, 300 smokers and the hinted above new designs) as well as the big bore 4 strokes (500 and 630 version bikes). This is very interesting. I have been an Italian Husky refugee since KTM took over Husqvarna. Even bought me a Gas Gas 300 in the meantime. But now GG is in turmoil, and the white Husky's are still rebadged Katooms (as far as I am concerned), so I've been looking for a brand to develop a fancy with, and SWM is looking to be it.