SWM 650 -> The 630 returns!

Discussion in '610/630' started by Erik Italhusky, May 29, 2015.

1. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    How much knowledge transfer was done between Husky and SWM?
    I'm thinking that to get the bikes to market as soon as possible they had no time to do any redesign.
  2. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Having a part fail without warning that could cause loss of power or the engine to stop and engine to lock while in traffic, freeway, etc, is a safety issue. I'd argue the wiring under the battery where it passes over the sharp metal bracket, wears through, causing stalling, loss of power, and a possible fire should be a recall too. It's happened to more than a few TE's.
  3. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    To install in the clutch hub the OEM cup washers or the Improved ones, makes not a different regarding to company profit, as both, the OEM or the improved ones costs approximately the same. So, in my opinion there are three possibilities
    1. - The Italian SWM engineers (former Husky engineers) are (sorry) kind of short minded (not too intelligent, let’s say)
    2. –They know that the improved cup washers are not a good solution... and so they keep silent
    3.- They know that the improved cup washers are a good solution but SWM managing director don't give a dam... so he becomes right away the stupid guy of the company
  4. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    The good thing is that it keeps an aftermarket company in business. It also keeps those of you with a 630 in parts. Would you rather have then decide not to produce the bike at all just because of clutch washers?
  5. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F

You're right, 100%

But, the point is, at least for me, is hard to understand why SMW don't make those tiny changes that costs nothing...
    Would I recommend the new SWM 650R to a friend, knowing all the small (and big) issues that it has?
    Only a few changes on the SWM 650 R and I would recommend it. No changes... I would not recommend it.
    XLEnduroMan likes this.
  6. JimKelly Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R75/5, Suzuki Stinger, Yamaha YB
    For (Australian) people interested in the Superdual: I got this answer today from SWM to a question about when they would be landing here: "Australia will be among the first countries to receive it, normally end of November"
  7. mattc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    bmw, suzuki
    Perhaps there is also option 4, (say) husky/swm engineering know that the thick hardened washers are not as good a solution as simply treating the whole issue as a service item. that cover has to come off for routine service anway. a normally set up shop will have those washers and springs replaced in and hour or 2.
    If home servicing owners are unable or unwilling to service the clutch, and too cheap to pay the shop 2 hours labour to do it, perhaps they should consider buying a klr instead.
    Don't mean to be rude but it seems to me that this issue has been blown out of proportion .

Mattc. SWM owner. Ex klr owner.
    Kia-ora likes this.
  8. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS

Most normal service items don't require a torch, a drill and a big hammer. If it were meant to be serviced, it seems they would make it more convenient to service than having to drill out and replace the solid rivets.

I'm one of the lucky ones, I've got 15K miles on my SMS with the original washers, but I've got a set of cups and rivets to replace them the next time I'm in the clutch, probably this winter, as the factory ones are starting to get a little thin.
  9. Caboose Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 600 f
    Actually the service manual states that is should be inspected every 10k kms.
  10. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Does it say what you should do if you notice excessive wear or damaged spring cups?
  11. Caboose Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 600 f
    As I remember it only says to check it. But that means they at least expected some problems with it.
  12. mattc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    bmw, suzuki
    In the world of competition bikes where this engine originated, full engine rebuilds are more frequent than this clutch service and require significantly more equipment than that.
    I agree, it is irritating to have to service (or repair, if you like) an assembly this often. But the actual work involved is not really very much, or very expensive. It's only irritating. Exaggerating the technical aspects to illustrate our irritation does not increase the actual work and IMO risks putting potential owners off what i think is a very, very good buy. New bike for the price of second hand.
    All my opinion only of course. We all have one...

MattC.
    KayDubbya likes this.
  13. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Well im confident mine is fixed, and will last the life of the basket.
    My basket is notched and will need filing down soon. The washers should last as long as the basket. My washers might even be good for use with a new basket, if im still lucky enough to own the bike when it needs replacing. I have no regrets fitting upgraded washers and believe it was the best solution to the problem.

Mine didnt even last that long, they were worn through by 8000 kms.
  14. Caboose Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 600 f
    Mine is somewhere around 16000 km and no sign of extreme wear yet. Though I only isnpected the oil filters I havent pulled out the basket yet.
  15. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
  16. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
  17. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    that 340 should be bout right :thumbsup:
  18. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    anyone available has the Workshop Manual of RS 650 R?
  19. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Hi Rotax I had one sent to me yesterday electronically. PM me your email and I will see if I can send it to you.
  20. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Any updates on these SWMs? From what I've seen so far I wouldn't be surprised if they have given up on the whole thing.