SWM 650 -> The 630 returns!

Discussion in '610/630' started by Erik Italhusky, May 29, 2015.

1. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    "Which is why the motor design was scrapped by BMW because there was no way to make it meet the new tighter emissions requirements. It is the last of a long line of racing 4T motors from the Italian design, originating out of the original Swedish design. It's a good one, it puts out a lot of power, but evidently it cannot be made to the new specs as designed. All modern racing 4-strokes have emulated this design, they were the pioneers. And why KTM aquired Husaberg which was a spin-off from Husqvarna. The boys from Sweden didn't want to work for the Italians at Cagiva. KTM also got the suspension tech with that aquisition as well. Also why the re-joining of Husqvarna and Husaberg under KTM is so remarkable. It's gone full circle."

630 engine has nothing to do with Swedish Huskys, though the frame design went back to the first single shock Swedish Huskys in 1985. The 610 Dual Sport was never a race engine.... It was the mating of the Swedish single cam top end to the old Cagiva Dual Sport engine bottom end for a truly street worthy, reliable engine. The 630 was an all Italian update, but the twin cam top end broke the connection back to the old Swedish design.

Did KTM get PDS tech with the purchase of Husaberg? KTM bought WP around the same time, which was a Dutch Company.

It has truly come full circle...
  2. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Sorry, I call them all 'racing 4-strokes'. LOL

They're not tractor motors, or industrial engines. :D
  3. Erik Italhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna Nuda 900R & SM630
    Actually the ECU and fuel mapping are one of the few parts that have changed from the 630 :)
  4. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Tiger 1050, KLX300, TT250,
    So who's going to be the first person to try the SWM ECU in the 630???
  5. Erik Italhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna Nuda 900R & SM630
    Not me :) I sold my 630 and replaced it for a SWM SM 650! New bike and new warranty :)
  6. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    I will only cost you 1 lock washer and a little time...Please pull your clutch basket out and inspect the springs and cup washers. Any improvement made on them? You need to pull the clutch cover to inspect the filter screen anyway, so just pull your clutch basket while your in there.

Specs say it is fueled by Mikuni, does the Husky/Mikuni iBeat still work on it?

So many questions...
  7. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    Yes. We should chip together to get you, Dynobob, CJ and JonXX together to give one of these bikes a serious teardown and review :) Is the kick stand improved? What about the cam chain? Does the different counter shaft fix the spline wear issue? Is the iBeat connector the same? Does iBeat work? What about the rear subframe? What's inside the airbox? Did they fix the spinning nuts? Suspension differences? Clutch basket? Does the RS have the wider TE gearbox? ... The more I read the more it sounds like SWM made a load of improvements and refinements, it would be great to know more.
    Kenneth Webb likes this.
  8. Stujam Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09te610, 11te630
    Few around here in oz and a bit of info so far .
    Gearbox is the same .
    Subframe looked the same to me .
    Suspension still marzocchi but less stroke.
    Different FI system so i beat wont work .
    Different seat-better then stock.
    Clutch?
    Airbox ?
  9. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Stujam, You say different FI system. Can you elaborate? Specs say it's still Mikuni. Is the plug in still behind the headlight shell? Is it a physically different plug? My "guess" is that if it's still the same Mikuni system with just a different plug then the Husky's, then some smart person will fab up an adapter(s) to make iBeat plug in to the SWM's.

I also wonder about the 300 and 500 dohc SWM's. They also still spec Mikuni FI.

If you see one of these SWM's in the wild, ask the owner if you can pop off his cover and look at his dongle for comparison. :D
  10. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
  11. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    I thought the gearbox had changes, including the output shaft as I read somewhere that the front sprocket from a TE630 would t fit.
  12. Stujam Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09te610, 11te630
    A local bloke who build up custom adv bikes and fairings has being working on a rally style fairing for it and being in close contact with the reps - he was told its a different FI to the 630 and ibeat wouldnt work
    . - altough the web specs say mikuni d45 - which is the same as the 630 .

There is a fair few lads with them here in oz out riding about - if i can find out any 'concrete' info i will let you know .
  13. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

Erik, can you tell us more, if any differences/improvements have been made between the bikes. You have owned both so you know first hand the shortfalls with the Husky 630's.

The EFI interface. What software and plug does SWM use to plug in to the bikes?

A picture is worth a thousand words.

( I am curious to find out all I can with the rebadged Husky's as SWM says they will be here in the USA this June, and a friend is thinking about buying a new KTM DS, and I would rather have the info to steer him away from KTM and to SWM )
  14. Stujam Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09te610, 11te630
  15. Caboose Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 600 f
    Here is a dyno chart made by Motorrad (german bike magazine). They say the SWM runs by Athena-Software.
    [IMG]
    And a chart of the "old" Husky to compare:
    [IMG]
  16. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    So no real bump in power/torque, maybe a slightly flatter torque curve in the 4k range...

I'll take the 701 :D
  17. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    What's the engine life expectancy of these KTM (both the orange and white version)
    I'm thinking 70Hp out of a 690cc one cylinder is pretty exciting but probably not too good long term?
    I did find the 630 engine a bit boring on my way to work this morning :-)
  18. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
  19. Stujam Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09te610, 11te630
    Some info / cut n paste thanks to beer o clock baz on adv and his swm.

'A couple more things for the SWM owners. The TE 630 o2 lambda sensor eliminator is oposite to the SWM i.e where the male is for the TE the female is for the SWM. The Bung for the exhaust isnt even a 1.5 thread let alone an 18mm. TE is 18x1.5 the SWM is a 12mm x ? I bought an 12x1.5 bolt an thread is alot finer. Radiators are very thin, she holds 1.2 ltr's but it all must be internal so will be going the Liquid inteligence route. '
    JonDirt likes this.
  20. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Im not a fan of KTM and even less so of these re-branded Husqvarna-KTM copies. I would rather buy and convert a Yamaha YZ450 for the street.
    I want an Aprilia SXV as much as i want a monkey on my back
    I guess the small market for supermoto on the street could be blamed for lack of development and choice.
    I love riding supermoto, my 610 really stomps along.
    The SWM is a really valid choice, i hope they are successful
    CJBROWN and JonDirt like this.