Skid Plate Options

Discussion in 'TR650' started by IPA Brewer, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Kawagumby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE310, 2014 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250R, KDX220, 1987KDX200
    I installed my new motosportz plate a couple of days ago and found it to be exactly what I had hoped for. One of my disappointments regarding the terra was the brake pedal design - slung under the peg rather than over...thus exposing it to damage. As a life-long dirt rider, I have bent many a brake pedal into a pretzel shape - pedals that were better designed for survivability than that of the terra.
    To the point; looking at the other brands of plate there did not seem to be any additional protection to the brake pedal area - the motosportz appeared to do so by having a wide section sufficiently close to and below the bottom of that pedal. After I installed the plate, my hopes were realized as the pedal is now protected significantly from upward blows... enough so that I'm not going to worry about fabbing a different pedal design as I once had planned.

Disclaimer; I judged the other brands soley by the photos available.
    Tom
    Coffee likes this.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    They makes some really odd mr roboto looking stuff.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

thanks, glad you like it. Yes, we purposely built that landing for impacts right up to the brake peddle and should help protect that for 95% of the stuff thrown at it.
  4. Trapperj Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200 GS RALLY..KLR 650..Zrx 1200
    My Motorsportz plate arrived today. 15 minutes later..it's on the bike. (I am slow and old) was better than I thought it'd be.
    Really nice finnish..not that it needed them...but even came with directions! I am curious to see other products from Motorsportz for he TR.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Thanks a lot. :cheers:
  6. roscotom Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BMW F800GS Adventure
    Got my MotoSportz plate today and installed. That's one sweet piece of armor. You do some nice work Kelly. Now I can ride and not worry about the Golden BB taking out my oil line. Thanks
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    No, thank YOU.
  8. scottinAZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husqvarna TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
    Received and installed my Motosportz skid plate, black edition today, easy install, great looking piece of craftsmanship. Thanks Kelly!:banana:
  9. Terra Tom Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLX250S - sold
    Got my awesome motorsportz plate in black today. All the way to down under in just days.

Plate looks awesome thanks Kelly, will get fitted this weekend and not a moment too soon!
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Thanks a lot guys, glad you like them.

Kelly
  11. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Got my red skid this past Friday...daym sexy! Sending the rear mounting brackets off to the ano shop today to get done in black. :thumbsup:
  12. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Motosportz:

Skid Plate Wings? Are they still on the table? If so, any idea when? I've got to get something by the middle of next month.
  13. HARDER1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400S
    I just received this beaut from B&B in the mail from Down Under. The craftsmanship is amazing. I really wanted my oil line and water pump protected, and this will do it.
    Skid.JPG JB4.JPG
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Absolutely. We are just kinda backed up as we have new product and a back-order of dampers etc. Working on it but we are admittedly a small shop doing what we can within our means.
  15. hudler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Hey kjack can you get a shot of the red plate installed? I am interested in one...don't have the bike yet, just put down a deposit, but you should always have protection cause you never know when you will need it!
  16. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Lol...I should have my bike shortly after you. Just gathering parts right now.
  17. Highfive Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE390, BMW F800GS
    Looks nice, Harder1. You already had to get out the JB Weld, eh? Let's see it on the bike already!

Regarding my Motosportz Skid plate, I am glad to report that after some serious torture testing, I have no indication of any contact between the chain and the rear mount bracket...Zippo...Nada. It's All Good!

Grip it and rip it,

HF
    Motosportz likes this.
  18. Robert Day Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra and 2014 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 BMW R1200GSA and 2012 V-Rod
    Just ordered the B&B skid plate, bolt on hose guard, radiator guard and disk protector. I believe I will get all of the powerdercoated black, depending on price. I will show you all a pic when I get it all on.
    HARDER1 likes this.
  19. HARDER1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400S
    If you saw my crash test dummy post, you'll see how much plastic I broke off. The upper Rad mounts both broke - and that's the worst/hardest part to fix. Here's the plate and a few tips:
    Forward mounting bracket is simple, but the rear is a little trickier. To get the new bolt and spacers installed, you'll have to take the two bolts out that hold the right foot peg assembly in. I used a big breaker bar to do this. It seemed like the threads were crossed, but they weren't. Be prepared tho, a regular ratchet will pop veins in your forehead. When the rear bracket is bolted in, just pull it towards the front wheel until it stops. That will be a flush position for the plate to bolt up to.
    Skid 1.JPG Skid3.JPG Skid5.JPG

Just like Motorsportz's plate, it becomes the nicest part of the bike! I'm happy with how well the wings protect the water pump, oil line, and right case.
  20. Bikerdude Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR, Versys,DL1000 Suzuki,
    Kelly, Bikerdude here, I would like to get on the list for a bash plate but my emails get no response. I guess you guys are really busy but if you find a moment pls let me know when they are available etc. Thanks much.