Skid Plate Options

Discussion in 'TR650' started by IPA Brewer, Nov 22, 2012.

1. IPA Brewer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Multistrada, KTM 690E
    The D/S riding season is starting to slip away here in NM and I'm not keen in leaving the pavement without a skid plate.

I am wondering if anyone has a source for the OEM or aftermarket skid plate?

The options I see are:

1. OEM plate - the local dealer seems in the dark about getting one. Anyone know of a dealer that can get plates?

2. Motosportz - plate in development, may be overkill in price/weight/design for my needs, no installed pics or price/lead time available.

3. ALTRIDER - plate in development, no lead time or pricing info.

Any help or other options to quickly get a plate would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich in Placitas
    Kenneth Webb likes this.
  2. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Not a lot of info on the Husky skid plate, but it doesn't look exceptionally stout. I'm also not sure how it mounts, how thick the plate it, etc. Needs to be strong. Hope Motosportz comes thru soon, and that their plate has some side protection wings although the prototype didn't show any. Until something approptiate shows up, it's strictly road or good trails.
  3. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    For OEM check with Dan at Motoxotica in Vacaville, CA.

Motoxotica
    357 Merchant St
    Vacaville, CA 95688
    (707) 446-4282

Pretty sure I haven't seen any prototype (or any 630) at Uptite. He's busy doing his thing for the Betas
  4. Toyboy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC250/2012 TXC310, 2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW Hp2E/Yamaha Super T/BMW R1200RTP
    Factory skid plate available. I think 187.00 retail
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I've seen, touched, and rode with the OEM skid plate, but did not really 'test it' by running into things. No offense meant to OEM, but I see a Motosportz plate in my future.
  6. IPA Brewer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Multistrada, KTM 690E
    Thanks for the replies.

Coffee - is the OEM plate made of aluminum? I'm not needing a bash plate, just want basic protection from road debris, gravel, etc. For $187 it should be titanium!

Oh and have a great Thanksgiving! I'm getting ready to dive into fried turkey with all the fixings!

Rich in Placitas
  7. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yes it is aluminum, and is very light. But does not protect much at all. If you can wait, I am sure pictures of both will show up soon.

I'm fairly sure that Motosportz plate will actually connect both parts of the frame, the oem does not. The basic bike design uses the engine as part of the frame.
  8. calikatoom Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F800GS, 625SXC
    I sell Husqvarna and just saw the factory plate for the first time last week. I think Coffee's comments are the nicest way of describing the factory skid plate. Disappointing is another word I would use. With that said, it will absolutely fit your needs based on your comments "I'm not needing a bash plate, just want basic protection from road debris, gravel, etc.".

I spoke with Altrider on Tuesday. They are still 8 weeks or more out on their design.

Motosportz - I am in line to buy 1 or more. Hopefully they become available very soon!

Uptite - I hope to chat with George today to see if they are making a plate.

The only option available right now is the factory Husqvarana skidplate.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving yesterday!

Cheers!
    Gail
  9. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Really looking forward to the Motorsportz piece, and hope it has wings to protect the cases, just in case, so to speak. I've been talking gently to my wallet and trying to get it ready for the hit. Doesn't look like a cheap item! You generally get what you pay for though. At first glance the bottom plate on the Motorsportz unit looks too heavy, but it needs to be the full length of the engine which is a pretty good span. Fastening to the rear frame is absolutely the way to go for this bike. I don't know if I will ever "case" this bike on the trail, but if I decide to go where I shouldn't, a stout bash plate is a necessity. Just as important, I'll be able to lift the bike easily which is not possible now. Have to jack it up from the front down plate with my scissors lift. Once I get the brake lever over the peg, and get a bendable shift lever with a folding tip, I can go exploring.

I have never been a fan of crash bars, for whatever reason, but the 650 looks particularly vulnerable to radiator and tank/shroud damage with all plastic fasteners and no real structure out there. Surely someone is looking into this too? Sidestand pivot needs to be moved, and the stand tube strengthened with a doubler, like on my 630 stands.

I also have an email in to HDB to see if they will make stuff for the 650. I don't see anything in their catalog that will replace the perches. Motorsportz has something for fat bars, but HDB's method of fastening the crash bars to the triple clamps just can't be beat. I have something similar on my WRR, like BigDog shows in his review, but those aluminum ears that fasten to the triple clamp bolts can still bend with a big hit. Been there, done that. Almost impossible to do the same with HDB, but they are not responding, and it's been over a week now. Maybe it's the holidays, and maybe just unresponsive. Odd though, they were very helpful, and quick, when I outfitted my 630. Motorsportz has alluded to something extra coming out for their fat bar clamps, but no news so far. Wish they would fill us in a bit so a decision could be made as to waiting or not. Next big ride is several months away (Death Valley) so there is time yet.

At first glance, not so much looked to be needed on the 650, but after owning for a while, the list is creeping down the page...
  10. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Even I will case a 650... and I never came close on my 2006 te250 (I still do not have a bash plate for that)...

The 650 is a much heavier bike with much less (albeit comfortable enough) suspension. If I get any 'airtime' at all on less than flat ground it would be nice to know the engine cases were protected - that includes some of the local roads near here.
  11. Mike Carson Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Explorer
    Sadly, I have ordered and paid for the factory aluminum skid plate without knowing any of the specifics I just saw it mounted on a TR 650 at Big Dog Adventures. It is an amazing piece of crap. Only mounts at the front and exposes the oil drain bolt and the oil line bolt to damage. Don't know what they were thinking. Do not purchase this skid plate until Husky redesigns it
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    We are building a top clamp top go with our bar mounts that has tabs for handguards and mounting holes for the windshield brackets we will also build. I would have got on this quicker but no one is buying the bar mounts so it kinda took the wind out of my sails on this project.
  13. Toyboy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC250/2012 TXC310, 2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW Hp2E/Yamaha Super T/BMW R1200RTP
    Just to add here, the stock bars are steel so too heavy, ( about a tad over a pound) too thin and too low, so pretty much suck. Bar mounts Motosportz made really do help a lot by raising relatively normal rise fat bars to the perfect height and a done very well and IMHO a bargain. I do not like those roxy type mounts as they allow for too much leverage and could twist forward or aft. Personal experience. Kelly, throw a few sets on Ebay, bet you will get some good exposure to those unfamiliar with the site and you. I had Husky's prior but was unaware of this site or you as a dealer. Keep up the good work!
  14. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Motosportz skid plate arrived and I am very pleased with the craftsmanship; money very well spent. Thank you Kelly! It looks just like the prototype and will be hell for stout. It will not get mounted for a while as I want to do a number of mods all at one time. I'll definitely put some wings on the plate and provide holes where needed for motor mount bolt access, etc. Another thing not to overlook is providing holes left and right at the front of the plate for my trail stand. That makes removing the wheel or fixing a flat on the trail a breeze.
    Ol'NumNuts likes this.
  15. Mike Carson Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Explorer
    Just received the factory skid plate today and installed it. Boy, I don't get it. It fits great up front where it mounts to the frame. Seems really solid, but it makes contact with the bottom of the engine where a supplied rubber grommet is installed on the bottom front of the plate. It also makes contact at the rear of the motor where the skid plate hits the rear of the motor right at a high point in the center of the motor. The drain plug also is exposed below the plate slightly. I normally use the skid plate a a point where I place my jack and lift the bike for rear wheel and chain service. However, the way it is mounted seems it would put stress on the bottom of the motor since it contacts it at two points. Also the drain plug is below the skid plate. I just don't know what Husky was thinking when they designed this item. I'll use it until I replace it with a real skid plate or have a shop weld some rear frame mounts to it which would then lower it from touching the engine
  16. Xch Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None yet
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda
    I received an e mail back from Stephan of Scheffelmeier Metall today and he said that all he needs to do is make an adapter for the front frame mount and Terra owners will be able to use his range of XChallenge bash plates.

Also said, " I will offer all parts I make for the G650X for the new Husqvarna 650 models too soon!"

http://www.bashplates.de/BMW-G-650-Xchallenge-Xcountry:::1.html

He also has started making an oil cooler for the BMW / Husky 650.

I used a lot of his parts on my XCH and can recommend them over Touratech etc confidently.
    Ol'NumNuts likes this.
  17. v12gte Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husqvarna Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, MV Agusta
    i just installed my Motorsporz bash plate. I only have one question, but here is the process:

I got the black one, which stands out a little less for that factory look. A few hints for the folks who follow:

-install the 2 large front bolts first. Yes, it is very difficult to align the bash plate the other way around
    -support the engine with a jack and some wood. I was concerned that taking the stock bolts out would mis-align the bolt shaft and opening in the frame
    -i did not know the torque setting for the front bolts, and my manual on the USB is corrupt, just like everyone else's. I will have to adjust this later
    -the back brackets are nicely made and the front to back adjustment in the plate itself came in handy

Now the question:

One of the aluminum brackets wrapping around the frame in the rear (the angled one) is nearly touching the chain. It has maybe 3 mm of clearance when the chain is slack. Should I worry about rubbing? Will the chain tension up when riding, so the clearance will increase? Anyone else notice this?
  18. blaine.hale Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 BMW r75, 1974 BMW R90, Bultaco

I believe Kelly has said to contact him if you think your chain is too close and he'll send one that should compensate for that.
    I just installed my motorsportz plate as well. It wasn't the best fitment, in my opinion but it is a pretty awesome plate. The anodizing seems to scratch off the welds and was scratched in a few other tiny spots when it arrived. My rear supports were not black anodized at all, just the raw aluminum and a black stripe on the top of one of the rear mounts where I think Kelly had planned to remove material for the chain issue you were talking about...a bit weird. The rear clamps down clamp all the way down and sit flush with each other over the tube either. There's a few mm gap between them. It might have been me ham fisting (I was trying to actually be delicate) but when I tightened them down, they scraped up some of my frame paint while pinching to the tube they mount around.
  19. v12gte Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husqvarna Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, MV Agusta
    my aluminum pieces are not flush, either. The tube frame seems to be too fat for that. I sent an email asking for a clarification on the chain clearance issue. I figured other people have installed them and could comment further on their installs. I can always take a dremel tool to the bracket piece. I am pretty dangerous with that tool on the high speed setting.
    :)
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Like bar mounts there should be some gap there, lets you keep them tight. If they bottomed out they would come loose and no way to tighten.