Shinko 216MX.....unabashed GT216AA clone.

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by robertaccio, Aug 3, 2017.

1. MotoXImage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    2000 XR 400
    Have you had a chance to compare these tires? I have another Shinko Chubby and I'll be giving the Shiko 505 a try. I'm likely to go back to the MotoZ Arena Gummy rear if they are close in performance because it weighs about a pound more than the MotoZ Mtn Hybrid rear. The Arena is lighter than both.
  2. MotoXImage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    2000 XR 400
    The tire was actually designed to be used with their Mousse. Incorporating the Mousse into the structure allowed them to build a very flexible tire that is dependent on the Mousse for it's structural integrity. Tubes do provide a limited amount of support. Tubliss provides zero. Tubliss relies on the strength of the carcass to support it's self.
    robertaccio likes this.
  3. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    just the GT216AA 2 ply compared to the Shinko216MX. the GT is a slightly softer compound and I like the feel better.
  4. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    I'm still trying to rip the side knobs off my Shinko. The big 449 with Nomad aux tank and a 5 gal bucket strapped on the front with stakes on the bars, a 4lb mini sledge, stapler, and tons of ribbon and signs setting up our National H&H course didn't kill it. The side knobs are starting to get ready to jump ship. But I got at least 700 miles outta the thing. I might just see how long before the knobs start falling off, then I'll swap it for another tire to test from Hi Point.
    MotoXImage likes this.
  5. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Just posting to reiterate what robert said. I went the Shinko 216 route after my GT 216 fatty front and gummy rear gave up the ghost. I still have the shinko 216 fatty front on but as soon as it looks worn I'm going to replace it. It deflects more than the GT 216 fatty front.
    As for the rear, I got about 60 miles out of the rear shinko 216 gummy version before the knobs where completely rounded off. So I knobby knifed them and got another 40 miles. It did hook up pretty well while it was on the bike. But just wore out too fast. Now I'm running a 505 cheater in the rear because my lbs had it in stock. But it's useless in wet conditions. Excellent in dry. I'm going to be pulling it off ASAP and saving it for summer.
    Despite the high price I'm going back to Golden Tyres front/rear. My older [compound] version of the GT 216 X worked excellent in all conditions until it was almost worn flat and had side wall knobs falling off. Literally hundreds of miles on that tire before I pulled it.
    I just hope that for the $s the new GT compounds work as well as the old ones.
  6. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    yeah, if you're gonna run a Cheater- you probably want the 525 for muddy stuff. Both of 'em are meant to compete with trials tires though (and the 505 is now my favorite tire; though it used to be a MT43... which is terrible down steep hills :eek:). A quick look at the knob pattern on either Cheater will tell you all you need to know.

I realize you grabbed what was available.

I ran a GT 216 AA fatty on the front a couple of years ago when they made a big splash- it was a great tire and I've never had a front last as long (side knobs started disappearing tho). I had 2 complaints: it's too heavy and too expensive. I'm back to my standard VE35 while I wait to try the next big thing. I've never understood the hate the front ve35 gets... it does everything pretty well including turns. cheap too. Note- can't say either for the back ve33.
    MotoXImage likes this.
  7. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have been using the golden tyre 369X rear tyre they also make a regular 369 tested it on both my 300 and 125 it looks like a dual sport tyre but it really works everywhere so far.
    Got well over 100 miles of hard riding, tyre is still looking good
    I plan to race Rd1 of the National Hare and Hound next month with a 369x extream endure tyre for a desert race
    So hope it is super National Tuff Will ride the TC 125 also
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I've done some extensive testing of the Shinko after years with the GT216. The GT216 is far superior IMHO. Better traction, better wear, does not spit knobs, keeps working when it looks done, much more predictable. I've also been running the GT333 rear. The 216 front/333 rear is the best combo I have found for a variety of riding. Most my riding is deep woods slick clay and roots.

[IMG]
    MotoXImage likes this.
  9. MotoXImage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    2000 XR 400
    Motosportz
    I'm going to give the GT 216 a go next tire change.

Does the VP Protector mount with the VPs mount that comes in the kit?

Does the speedo wire require cutting the plastic tube as shown on the KTM in the Chap install video or is it plug and play on the Husky?
  10. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    After another tough Tecate Enduro , I reiterate my thoughts, as stated above the Golden Tyre GT216AA 90/100-21 Fatty is the best of the GT/ Shinko comparo.
    I would love to ride the new Michelin Enduro Comp Fat tire, yes they also make one now , seems like it's not imported to US though.
    Also note I always liked Pirelli Scorp FIM Pro 90/90-21 enduro tire, if they decide to make a fatty that's another brand I would like to try.

from above before our big yearly event.
    just the GT216AA 2 ply compared to the Shinko216MX. the GT is a slightly softer compound and I like the feel better.
  11. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    At roughly double the price, we should expect the new Golden gen 5 fatty to be superior. For serious racing I won't run the Shinko, and continue to use the Golden. But for an all around dual sport or play ride tire, the Shinko is really tough to beat for the price to play.

I miss the original Metzler fatty from the 80s still. The good thing that's happening is the tire makers have finally wrapped their heads around the idea that off road and dual sport riders don't want to run skinny wimpy front motocross tire in sand, rocks, and roots.

I for one am glad to see low priced alternative tires like the Shinko. Most riders aren't racers that set aside a tire budget for a season. A $50-$60 front tire for a guy trying to keep a family worth of bikes ride ready is very appealing.

Now if Metzler would just bring that 3.25 front back...
    robertaccio likes this.
  12. KXcam22 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SM630, 2017 300XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    08FZR6;07CRF450;98CBR900RR;02KTM200
    Yeah but that Metz 3.25 was heavy. I used to alway run those on my euro bikes. I saved one and put it on my CR500 bush bike and it did not steer well. Cam.
  13. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah, but it kept my 84 IT200 planted like a rock in deep desert sand. I guess you don't notice when the bike weighs less than 220lb.
  14. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Most old Desert racers will remember the Dunlop K139
  15. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    I just ordered some parts from Slavens and got a Shinko 216SX (gummy-ish) for the rear. Everywhere I look the GT216X is $140, except ktm-parts.com which has it for $124. Still, even at $124, that's way more than I want to pay for a tire. If I had the money, I would be buying only GT 216 front and rear for my 300. But I'm saving for a 350 dual sport bike. So I have to scrimp and save where I can.
  16. farmerj Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    GG XC 300, GG DE 300, GG TXT 321

Good info. Motosportz, I have a GT333 sitting in the shop, but thought I might send it back and wait for the 369KX since I like the "gummies"...

- so I am curious about how the GT333 compares to the GT369KX (or 523KX) in the woods? Can it compare to the gummy tires in the roots & rocks & more "technical" stuff?

Thanks,

Jeff

P.S. FWIW I found that the GT216X rear had great traction in the woods, but chunked knobs in the rocks/desert. Equilibrium was great in the woods when dry, not good in mud. Running a Shinko 505 Cheater now - very good traction, doesn't chunk, wonder if I should have got the 120 instead of 110? I'd like to try an Ibex - but I'm not sure how they would hold up in Central Oregon rocks...
  17. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    You spelled Korea incorrectly.

They actually *change* the logos back and forth from GoldenTyre to Shinko.

Some of the comments in this thread are hilarious, especially the people saying that the Shinko 216 Fatty is inferior to the GT 216 Fatty...They're exactly the same tire, made in the same factory, by the same people, using the same rubber compound (both tires have a durometer of 71).

Fact: Any and every motorcycle tire that says "Made in Korea" on it was made by Shinko (pretty easy to say that because Shinko is the only motorcycle tire manufacturer in Korea). This includes certain models from Continental (TKC80 for example) and other brands.

That said, GodenTyre has recently purchased/contracted a manufacturer in China - so I expect that you guys bashing "China Tires" will be abandoning your fashionable GT's pretty soon
  18. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Good points JonXX. You spelled "China Tyres" incorrectly.

I do have one thing to point out though. When I measured them side by side the Shinko was 95mm and the Golden Gen 5 was 100mm. I have just measured the other 2 Golden GTs I have that are older and from the "same mold" and they also measure 100. These were all measured mounted on wheels with my super expensive and super accurate Harbor Freight digital caliper.

Just to throw a wrench in I also looked at the new Hi Point version of the Fatty. Pete from Motoman distribution (SWM and Scalvini Pipes) commissioned the same factory that now makes Golden to use the same carcass and compound but changed the tread pattern. I haven't mounted it up yet, but it looks like it might come in over 100mm. Yes is says made in China and is DOT compliance stamped, just like the GT. I will replace the Shinko on my 449 with the Hi Point and give it a shot.

Like I said before. I think it's great we have tire companies offering a wide front tire at lower prices than the Golden. Golden does continue to lead with innovative compunds and tread patterns, especially with rear tires. They have a great reputation, are used by top racers worldwide, and will continue to be the high priced choice.
  19. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    The shinko is a tiny bit heavier and the compund on the shinko is a fraction softer.

View: https://youtu.be/LgqLFvAnDG0

View: https://youtu.be/LgqLFvAnDG0

My experience with the Shinko 216SX rear has been that it wears faster than the GT216X and looses traction after a few rides and needs to be knobby knifed to keep hooking up. I know they are supposed to be almost identical tires, but after using both I have to say they aren't.
  20. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    what cosmo said my latest GT216AA front looked higher quality and acted better than my previous Shinko 216MX. And who has really gone over the china to see about these tires I have believed and heard 10 different stories about brands molds durometer where they are made etc. . All I do know is that I met and hung out with the Italian original owner of Golden tyre, but that was quite a while ago and he said all his tires were his and his molds were all company proprietary, with most rubber chem compounds coming from Korea at that time.