1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Review: 449/511 Zip-ty oil filter cover...

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by huskylove, May 21, 2014.

1. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    If you received one of the original spacers, please email Danny for a replacement. The original spacer was out of spec. I'll get one out to you asap, free of charge.
    Motosportz likes this.
  2. Gerald Vincent Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    In the past: XL600R, CX500, KAW H2,
    "Got the stainless flo oil filter, the spacer and the, Zipty oil filter cover. Did anyone else have difficulty inserting the filter, spacer and putting on the cover? "

I also had some difficulty aligning everything, next oil change I am going to take Tinken's recommendation, and epoxy the spacer to the filter. For me the difficulty was exactly centering the spacer on the magnet, then carefully aligning the filter so the spacer would center on the filter end divot. After several tries though, it worked for me. (If you have the proper length spacer, of course)
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    My original spacer was the long one and did not work. Tinken is providing the corrected one :cheers: Since having the right one I find it very EZ to attach it centered on the magnetic cover and installing it. It works very well and has proven itself to be a useful upgrade. Highly recommended.
  4. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    Got a video/photos of the stahlbus valve in action?
  5. Waverider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 449
    Yea that sounds like my situation. I plan on attaching my next oil change. TY for the reply.
  6. Gerald Vincent Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    In the past: XL600R, CX500, KAW H2,
    Well, I was running out of time last oil change, and didn't want to wait for the epoxy to cure, so I assembled again with the spacer not adhered to the filter. This time, it went together NO PROBLEM. I guess the oil film on the end of the filter and the spacer caused it to slide into the filter divot smooth as silk.

Hope this helps.
  7. River-Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511, 2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM690 Enduro

Kelly,

Getting all of that small metalic material out of the system is just fantastic. I will change my oil for the 1st time with the ZT filter cover tonight including SS filter cleaning.

So where is the big, really ugly stuff? When we ran magnets in the oil drain plug before the drain back systems came into vogue, everybody had some pretty ugly chunks on the magnet.

So is this stuff still floating around in the bottom of the dry sump and not getting picked up and run by the oil filter? I also don't get the big chunks of metal out of my oil filter when I clean it - so where does that stuff go or maybe where does it hide? Seems to not show up on the screens as well? At least not my screens.

If it is still in the dry sump, what does that oil lube that isn't getting cleaned by the filter/magnet? Transmission?

I'm changing oil tonight on the 511 and will go back to an oil fill plug oil return from the ZipTy oil return tank and will be putting my 7602 magnetic plug back into the original oil drain plug. See if I can pick up that big ugly stuff with the mag plug on the drain hole again.

Thanks.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    There is no big ugly stuff in these motors (449/511). My 08 TXC450 sometimes had some chunks that kinda scared me but all was good. It also had a lot of crap in the two prefilters like sealant and stuff the first 2-3 oil changes. I just changed oil on a 07 YZ450F and it has some bigger stuff. These 449/511 motors seem very well built and do not shed like most. I check the prefilters about every 5 or so oil changes and there is never anything on those. Clean running motors. Big chunks should never make it this far as they will be on the drain plug and pre filters. If they get to the main filter somethings up. Getting this last bit of super fine particles out is the icing on the cake.
    Big Timmy likes this.
  9. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    I agree with Kelly.

My bike still has the stock magnetic drain plug, never had anything I could feel on it or seen anything in the strainers for the pumps.
    I only undo the strainer plugs to drain the oil out now, I don't bother pulling them out very often at all.
    Coming up to 130hrs now....still sweet.
  10. jasov Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB-1, LEM 50 (for the boy)
    How can i get the stock oil filter cover off? It is stuck on there very tightly. I'm not sure what size socket to use or if i can even get one that large in there. Measured with a caliper it's hex is 21.3 mm across. Vise grips didn't work in there. Does anybody out there have a trick up their sleeve to get this bugger off?
  11. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Yep, it's not quite a 21 or 22. I think they must have gotten them from some old Triumph stock that used Wentworth sizes. If you're going to replace it with a ZipTy/other cover you can get it to turn with a hammer and chisel. Get it warm and just be careful not to nick the case. Once it starts to move you can probably get it off with a socket.
  12. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I used to impact them off. Definitely a Husky item, BMW had a Allen in the middle of theirs.
  13. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    Lay the bike down and use an electric or air impact. First take a look at the 1/2"drive 22mm socket if it has a chamfer in the working end grind the end of the socket back so there is no chamfer. Make the end of the socket flat, square and flush.

My BMW engines oil filter cap had know such Allen head in the middle on it "Tinken". It was exactly the same as my TC449 engine which I now have your cap on.

Here's a picture of the BMW engines cap, it's still sitting on the bench. Collecting dust. Not a thing wrong with it, new clutch and TL and has 130 hours and plenty of life left in it.

I don't know what I'm going to do with the G450X and the 2 engines I have. I have only ridden it once since getting the new FE501. 3 miles to work and back. It just sits but am reluctant to part with it. Too much money tied up in it's suspension and other goodies.

SAM_1041.JPG
  14. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    On the subject of the cover, what material is the o-ring made of on the ZTR cover? Mine is starting to show little slivers of rubber and I think I would like to replace it soon. No leaks our major chunks but want to be ready.
  15. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Huskynoobee,
    I have replaced my o-ring on my ZipTy filter cap once already with a new neoprene o-ring. I got a few of them stashed in an plastic bag that I got at my local Napa car parts dealer. I forget the actual size.
    We didn't have a matching size at work and my 460+ metric selection of O-rings I got from Amazon for the oil screens and so on didn't include or have one that size included.

Are you meaning "Whitworth size scale"? from your previous post?

My 69'BSA Rocket 3 750 and 67'Triumph GT6 used many Whitworth thread sizes. Like some of the early pre 69' or earlier, Harley thread pitch sizes , instead of being like a 1/4"- 20 coarse or 1/4"- 28 Fine, For example the early Harley's would have a goofy proprietary thread pitch size of like a 1/4"-24. Those days made it a bastard to get the proper size studs etc. for building a Harley engine before the internet came along but they still used standard fractional wrench sizes.

The "Wentworth scale" is the scale that refers to sizing of grains like how you would measure the size of sand particles.
  16. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks Timmy, my Dad had a GT6+ when I was a kid. Made sure the tools went with it when he sold it.
    Big Timmy likes this.
  17. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    At one point in time... BMW had a special cap with an Allen hole in the center. It also had little holes around the circumference. There was a special tool that had both an Allen wrench and spikes for the smaller holes. I guess the did away with that design finally..
  18. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Oh Tinken, You are right!

You are talking about the Gold colored "Touratech" oil filter cap that they used to sell, I think you can still get all those matching drain screen plugs, replacement drain plug, frame guards, clutch case guards, Allen head oil filler cap plugs, frame plugs, etc. from Touratech, they are a bit pricey. Although I don't think the oil filter cover is still available. It used the same T handled spanner they sold specifically for it that also fits the left side swing arm nut.

It was about useless.

I use a Makita 4 1/2" disc grinder spanner wrench on my swingarm nut.

The "Touratech" T handle wrench arrangement was a joke. Their was only 2 pegs on the fabricated "T handle wrench" for the holes on those "Touratech" oil filter cap covers because it also matched the 2 holes on the shown swingarm pivot nut. They would have probably snapped right off before you would have ever got the oil filter cap off.

Your billet magnetic filter cap cover is the only way to go...

Here's a picture of what you were talking about. You can see the Touratech oil filter cap it in the back ground. PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE ARROW! That's from the Touratech ad showing their sprockets case saver.

I kind of like the full carbon fiber side case savers as shown in this picture. They are trick, they have one for the BMW's clutch side as well. It only covers the rear half of the case though behind the BMW cases clutch actuator. A pair of Frame guards for the frames sides as well are available, made of Carbon fiber. Not cheap though. The frame guards alone they have are about 100.00 bucks a piece. A carbon fiber master cylinder guard and pipe heat guard are also available, or were anyway. If you had money to really throw away, as this stuff was and is very pricey.

I think they just about quit trying to sell any of these oil filter caps right about the time ZipTy's billet magnetic cover for the oil filter came out, now that I think about it.

The ZipTy magnetic cap is about half the price of what one of these was costing and being magnetic, was about twice as good for the engine.

[IMG]
    Tinken likes this.
  19. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Not sure what all the fuss is about here.
    A- Don't over tighten the cap (The o-ring seals from the sides, so the cap only has to be nipped up enough to stop coming loose, no more)
    B - a couple of light taps around the edges of the cap with a plastic hammer should free it up.
    C - Use a single hex socket on the nut section.

My bike now has 170+ hrs on it & never once has the cap be hard to remove.
    It was never great fit for the socket, true, but still comes off every time.
  20. jasov Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB-1, LEM 50 (for the boy)
    The modified 22mm socket did the trick. Thanks!
    And thanks to the community at Cafe Husky at large; without you all I would have a beautiful machine that wasn't performing up to it's potential. :applause:

Next oil change I'll be installing the oil filter cover that I just bought from ZipTy!