1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Review: 449/511 Zip-ty oil filter cover...

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by huskylove, May 21, 2014.

1. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Just got my oil filter cover in today. Immediately upon depackaging you can see this is a quality piece, both aesthetically pleasing with good anodizing and machining.

Pick it up and you will notice it is quite heavier than the factory cap (this is very good to be explained later)

20140521_112325.jpg

20140521_112330.jpg

Now if you recall me previous thread http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/te511-oil-change-from-hell-any-tips.40111/

It took forever to accomplish 2 things every damn oil change

1) screwing the oil filter cover on (pictures to follow)

2) removing the oil filter! no way to grab the damn thing!

Just be warned if you stick this magnetic oil filter cover to a flat plate of steel with no edges....you will have hell removing it. Being a typical ape....that is the first thing I did, this cover has some SERIOUS force behind it. Really shocked me..luckily after slipping a sheet/piece of copper under it I got it off.

Anyways, I drained the oil as usual with the bike warmed up, cleaned the screens and scotts stainless mesh oil filter. This was with typical solvent of choice....left over premix gasoline of course. Then used compressed air to clean everything thoroughly.

20140521_165854.jpg

Refitted the screens, filter and plugs.

I then took a shot of whiskey, and began to psych myself up for the inevitable wrestling match of the silly oil filter cover....The first time I did this was on the first oil change and it took a freaking hour. The cover would simply not engage threads or go on smoothly. It was a pain. AND IT WAS BRAND NEW!

All pumped up and ready to go with my zip ty cover in hand....(I say hand because it has beautiful machined divets to put it on by hand!) I pressed the cover to the case and turned.....It went on PERFECTLY! I was able to tighten it very tight by hand using my small ratchet to just "bump" it a bit more snug past that. Done deal! Took 2 seconds.

2 things...perfectly machined threads combined with some actual weight and the ergonomic divets for my hand to grab onto = instant easy installation. I got it tight enough without the ratchet but better safe than sorry.

20140521_181203.jpg
    Mr Ford40 and Tinken like this.
  2. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    The rest of the time was spent flushing the coolant system and adding the zip ty xf coolant.

Anyways all in all, this silly little filter cover is my new favorite purchase on the bike second to the billett fuel cap, and then the power commander :)

Hopefully you can see in the pics how the factory cover was flawed from the factory at the initial threads and the culprit of SERIOUS angst.
    20140521_165910.jpg 20140521_181154.jpg
    Tinken likes this.
  3. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I wanted to make something over and beyond anything else ever created. This billet 96lb pull magnetic cover is extreme. I'm glad you like it. :)

p.s. The o-ring that comes with it is Viton and over sized. Some of the pre-orders may not of gotten one of these seals, just PM me and I will make sure you get one. :D
  4. Normann Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449 MY2012
    I'm waiting this сover too! :)

P.S. Tinken, make please official shipping to Russia from ZipTy online shop! We have more problems to buy things.
  5. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    It is awesome! Seriously you can see in the picture how much a POS my stock one was. Also the threads on these motors are quite fragile, so you need something precision machined, not just mass produced junk. I want this bike to last me a lifetime or until a fast better husky comes forth that is not a ktm in disguise :)
  6. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    for the time being, you will have to email Danny@ZipTyRacing.com with your order, shipping address and credit card info
  7. Normann Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449 MY2012
    I have account in ZipTy online shop. I wrote Danny about this problem year ago, but he can't help me, or... don't want. :)
  8. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    He wants to, but he can't. It has to do with our online store and the way it charges customers. I will look into it further.
    Normann likes this.
  9. BR1 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS 125 MY2010, SMR 449 MY2011
    I sent a mail to order one of these PIECES OF ART :cheers:
    Tinken likes this.
  10. Mr Ford40 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    YZ250F
    Well guys if its any thing like the full oil kit, fuel cap this is going to be bloody awesome . I think this is just the start of a beautiful relationship between myself and ZIPTY racing.. ALL I SAY IS BRING IT ON .
    Tinken likes this.
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I'm doing the same thing. Good stuff from those guys. You should let them do your suspension :eek:

[IMG]
    Mr Ford40 and Tinken like this.
  12. Mr Ford40 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    YZ250F
    I'm doing the same thing. Good stuff from those guys. You should let them do your suspension :eek:

Motosportz Would love them to do my suspension but just alittle far away.
  13. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Haha, yea. Although we have done suspension for professional riders around the world.
  14. Lon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TE511
    Would love a gas cap and oil cap, but US$120 for the bits and US$140 for shipping... that's a bit rich!
  15. Mr Ford40 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    YZ250F

Lon email Danny@ZipTyRacing.com in the subject line what you want and ask him for a quote/shipment price it just cost me $40 AUS postage for a full oil kit and a fuel cap and I have just ordered more stuff . Truss me Danny will look after you in shipment costs.
    Tinken likes this.
  16. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    We run shipping that way because carrier prices change on a daily basis. Danny researches all of the carriers before quoting shipping, that day.
  17. Lon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TE511
    Cheers, will give it a go. As you know it really sucks living in Australia and trying to get any decent bits for anything from outside this country.
  18. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125

Zipty part looks great :thumbsup: those magnets look deadly ha ha.

Shame about your experience with the original though.
    Just did another oil change last night for todays ride, 118hrs old now(changes every 5 hrs), all plugs & oil filter housing drained & oil back in in ten minutes.
    Best system I've owned on a bike myself, all oil drains down one side, don't even have to move the catch pan. Love it!
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I love the side drain too. I build a little tin foil funnel just under the oil outlet and that keeps the frame spotless. Simple, EZ.
  20. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    [IMG]

I need to get a container to measure my oil in. I fill it with it on the sidestand until it comes out of the fill hole. No idea how much it is, but the bike is quite a bit quieter with it filled to this level. And it ends up 80-90% of the sight glass filled. I think I may try to get a bit more too maybe 10mm over the bottom of the fill cap hole.

I think between the stainless filter, zip ty cover, and a stahlbus oil drain valve + pre-measured oil. Man this will literally be a 3 minute oil change. I am quite excited! I will not even need to remove the skid plate!

....to be continued....