1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Review: 449/511 Zip-ty oil filter cover...

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by huskylove, May 21, 2014.

1. Lon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TE511
    Whoohoo! CC has been charged... eagerly awaiting arrival of bling bits :D
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    yeah I drank the kool aid too :D

[IMG]
  3. tunp Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TE610, 13 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 990, 02 FLHTPI HD
    I am waiting for my kool-aid to show up:)
    Motosportz likes this.
  4. River-Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511, 2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM690 Enduro
    Tinken:

Can you provide the length of the filter you guys used to size the filter spacer in Motosportz' photo above? If there is room for a spacer and it didn't come stock, I'm wondeering if all the vendors selling SS mesh filters size their product the same for the 449/511? I really like the idea of an easy way to grip the filter to remove it - given I epoxy the spacer into the end of the oil filter - but want to know if it will fit with my filter.

Is the same critter possible for the 310 as well? I think I purchased Scott's filters for both bikes, a 310 and 511.

I too received my ZT filter cover for the 511 and it is indeed a very high quality piece that also looks really cool - it replaces a stock piece that consistantly caused me grief to remove. I'll do my first oil change with it soon and wonder what the magnets will have trapped?

Thank you.
  5. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Did my second oil change after a track day the other day, and am LOVING this piece. Seriously saved me so much grief! MUST HAVE!

Sorry i am just so excited everytime i use it to see how easy it is. I used to damn near workup a sweat with the pressure of almost stripping everything each oil change!
    Tinken likes this.
  6. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    The spacer will not work with the Scott's filters. You will need a smaller ring for that one.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Just dropped my oil for the first time after the magnetic oil filter cover and SS filter. Oil was for sure cleaner than ever (400 miles). No particles you could feel but for sure magnetic fuzz on the magnets. As i said oil looked better than ever, still semi clean and honey looking / clear.

You can see where I wiped the top one...

[IMG]

Good stuff :thumbsup:
    Mr Ford40, Tinken and Dangermouse449 like this.
  8. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Tinken, can the cover be used with the regular original paper type filters without the spacer??
    Tinken likes this.
  9. danny318 ___________

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    TTR230, '72 CT90
  10. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Cool, might be on my shopping list then =)
  11. Mr Ford40 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    YZ250F
    DM Ive got one with a paper filter and no problems my white brother with a red head. inwhiteament thats what we have.
  12. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    HOLY CRAP.

I did 350 miles of supermoto track riding. There was some fuzz on the oil cover (nothing like motosportz) but that WAS IT! I payed attention to the oil this time and realized kelly is correct and my oil is WAY cleaner than it has ever been! I compared it to a few oil changes ago (kept in a mason jar). It is way more clear.

The only issue I have is with the stainless scotts filter, some "sludge" of metallic particles built up towards the end, and the filter is also now slightly magnetized. SO cleaning it in acetone/gasoline/kerosene/diesel, it still will not remove the magnetized sludge. Which is okay but I would prefer to clean it out. It is about .5mm of the end of the filter screen mesh has this gray sludge.

Open to ideas...

Also I cant believe at 1400 miles this bike has such clean oil screens. Its kind of crazy actually! My last husky 450 had clutch fibers, clutch basket metal, random copper shavings....etc etc. I thought it could grenade at any second! This one is always super clean and clear.
    danny318 likes this.
  13. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    By the way that was 350 miles of riding the rev limiter hard out of corners and sliding the rear into the corner entry. Hard riding...and no sign of problems!
  14. danny318 ___________

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    TTR230, '72 CT90
    Maybe try some compressed air for cleaning the filter
  15. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    I did....it wouldnt budge the fuzz....
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    [quote="huskylove, post: 427657, member: 12084"Also I cant believe at 1400 miles this bike has such clean oil screens. Its kind of crazy actually! My last husky 450 had clutch fibers, clutch basket metal, random copper shavings....etc etc. I thought it could grenade at any second! This one is always super clean and clear.[/quote]

Same here. Had a much loved 08 TXC450 (bike is still among friends and going strong) and it shedded like it would disappear some day :>) These 449/511 engines seem to not shed much at all.
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  17. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Same here. Had a much loved 08 TXC450 (bike is still among friends and going strong) and it shedded like it would disappear some day :>) These 449/511 engines seem to not shed much at all.[/quote]

I agree, my old WR450 horrified me on my first oil change, I thought it was eating itself up......
    It was the same every change & ran for 185 trouble free hours before I sold it, so can't have been much, but man did it look bad!!:eek:
    TE is always slightly dark, but clean of debris :thumbsup:
  18. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    That black fuzz is super fine metal most likely from cylinder/wall, gear mesh wear. You can use paper/fiber filters with my cover, no problem.
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  19. Normann Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449 MY2012
    Heating usually helps demagnetize metal.
  20. Waverider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 449
    Got the stainless flo oil filter, the spacer and the, Zipty oil filter cover. Did anyone else have difficulty inserting the filter, spacer and putting on the cover?
    Tinken likes this.