Rear linkage bearings/bushes

Discussion in '610/630' started by BiG DoM, Jan 29, 2014.

1. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    Well done.
    When you punch in the bike details on there website it doesn't show.Put in the part no and there it is.

[IMG]
  2. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

I know that is why I thought there were none out there! I have ordered a kit so lets see. The parts are also available seperately if need be - they showed the individual components in a diagram with part numbers and I searched their site. So also an option for some.
  3. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    Eventually, today I've checked the swingarm and linkage bearings. Here they are:[IMG]
    [IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    Some of the dirty spots are due to the disassembly.
    They seem to be in a very good shape to me, much better than I expected! None of the linkage bearings have play; only the swingarm ones has a very very little play, barely perceptible, far less than 1 millimeter. In fact, they are a little dirty.
    The shock doesn't seem to have any play in its upper link, so I don't know where the play of the video comes from.
    Maybe the linkage leverage multiplies the little swingarm play.
    What do you think?
  4. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

I would agree they look good. The linkage bearings have loose rollers (ie not captured) so be careful not to lose any! A regrease should do the job. Is there no play in the bottom shock bearing? Does seem strange and the play in the video appeared to be linkage related rather than swingarm. IMO.
    Kyle Tarry likes this.
  5. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    In the bottom bearing of the shock there is no play. By the way, should I grease it and also the other bearing on the top? I read somewhere on the Internet that you shouldn't grease spherical bearings, but on the workshop manual they show the bottom spherical bearing as a part to be greased.

I agree that the play seems to come from the linkage zone. There's some between the gudgeons and their screws:

I doubt that this would vanish after having installed the parts and tightened the nuts.
    Is it possible that the screws and/or the inner surface of the gudgeons are worn?
  6. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

I doubt it looking at the condition of the bearings. Maybe the slop will go when all re-greased and re-torqued?
  7. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    Until Yesterday I would have thought no, but today I've noticed that between the top shock bearing and its screw there is play, while there wasn't any play when the shock was installed on the bike:

BTW, do you use to grease the two spherical bearings of the shock?
  8. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

You possibly may not have noticed play there due to the pressure being applied by the shock. I would definitely grease the spherical bearings with the same quality waterproof bearing grease used on the other bearings. It is maybe also possible one or more of the bolts were actually loose on the linkage to start with ... Husky loves loose bolts on assembly! :confused:
  9. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Don't worry about the looseness between the bolt and the sleeve. If everything is torqued properly, the sleeve is "squeezed" between the linkage on either side, and you're no longer depending on the bolt(s) to control that motion.

It seems odd that one of the bearings wasn't a bit worn, given that play, but everything looks ok. I'd clean, grease, and re-assemble! They will always be a tiny bit of play, that might be all that we were seeing.
  10. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    Some bolts of the bike were a little loose the first time I checked them, but I've kept those linkage bolts tight checking them periodically, like the others.

So, I'm going to grease and reinstall the parts on the bike.
    Thanks for the help.
  11. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Good luck - keep us informed. :thumbsup:
  12. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

View attachment 37637 View attachment 37636
    Ok managed to source the only swingarm kit in my country at present so saved some time and money! All looks spot on and ready to mod.
    Now also waiting for the All Balls pivot bearing kit and then can soon button it all up again.

View attachment 37634 IMG_1624.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg
  13. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    Sure! :)
    I've rainstalled the linkages and the swingarm and there still is that play.
    I'll keep it checked in the future to find out if it increases.
  14. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

I eventually received my All Balls linkage kit and am in the process of putting it together. The lower shock bearing - a rotating ball type - has two round recessed wire circlips with no grab holes for a circlip tool. I have tried to get a small screw driver under them to release them with no luck - I also do not want to damage the surface alongside that houses the seal. Anyone got insight into how to remove these spring clips?? Bloody frustrating! They are number 16 in diagram below (listed as seals but are actually clips). HELP PLEASE.

Attached Files:

• 9.pdf
      File size:
      975.8 KB
      Views:
  15. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Show us a picture. Shocks are assembled with recessed wire circlips, and you pry those out with a thin screwdriver.
  16. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    The third picture on my message #23 shows that bearing.
    By the way, I have to rectify some of my statements: I wrote about an upper shock ball bearing, but later I found out that it didn't seem to be a bearing; it looked like a simple couple of bushings.
  17. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Tap a thin flat head screwdriver in behind that with a small hammer. Then carefully pry it out with 1-2 screwdrivers or picks.
  18. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks - that is what I was trying ... need to give it another bash ... literally and figuratively. Real PIA. :mad:
  19. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

OK in the end I drilled a small 2mm hole in the groove at the tip of the end of the clips so I could get a pick under it. It was impossible to get a screwdriver underneath it without damaging the sealing area. Worked great. The actual bearing housing was also a bit rusted on the alu inside part of the linkage. This bearing definitely needs greasing and the good thing about the All Balls kit is it supplies proper seals for this bearing - the OEM ones are just a white foam rubber washer and have definitely allowed water ingress. The freezer trick helps with refitting these bearings - all you need is a good bench vice to press them in. :thumbsup:
    Xcuvator likes this.
  20. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Pic of the bearings all pressed in and the seals for the lower shock bearing in place - vast improvement over the OEM styrofoam washers. linkage.jpg