Real world reactions to the TR models...

Discussion in 'TR650' started by ray_ray, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    I've just 15 miles on my Terra now, so my impressions are VERY preliminary but here they are anyway.

Like the seat height and with a 32" inseam I can get my leg over the bike without a problem.

A little cold blooded until it warms up. Until it does I can't roll away in first without giving it around 3K rpm or it will spit back and stall. Once warmed a bit, no problem. My other FI bikes don't do this and take some throttle right away. Initially I thought I had a problem. Anyone else notice this?

Very smooth and vibration free. Amazing really, for a single. Keeping it under 5K for now and rolling at 65 mph at around 4K in high gear. Dead smooth. This is going to be a great road bike.

Suspension is very stiff now, and I hope it will loosen up with a few miles. I'm not going to fool with the preload or rebound for now, just use it as is. The rear will need to have some preload removed though as it is set up for two on board.

Love the tight turn ability, especially compared to the 630. Much easier to maneuver around the garage, etc., too.

Filling with gas is going to be a bit of a hassle, and I think I will carry a rag to put around the fill opening. You just have no idea when the tank will top off and gas come up and onto the plastic. I filled very slowly, and still got some spill-over.

The seat is hard as a rock, but folks are saying that it's comfortable for long rides anyway. I will have to reserve judgement on that. Seat Concepts is working on replcement foam I think.

I like this motorcycle a lot, and think it is just what I need. 'Can't wait for another nice weekend so I can put it on the highway, but need to get some miles and an oil change on it first. A couple of weekends should do it.
  2. roscotom Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BMW F800GS Adventure
    if you put the gas nozzle down into the filler hole the sensor in the nozzle will stop before overflow at the gas station. It works just like your car. It works that way in mine. At home with a gas can it takes a little more caution. If you listen close you can hear it coming up the filler tube.
  3. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yep, tried that with the nozzle. Not all nozzles are the same though, and some shut off better than others, and every once in a while, they don't shut off at all! Too much noise at the station to hear anything, but I will be sure to try and listen.
  4. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    Rode my Strada away from the dealer and I could hardly keep it from stalling. Just rolling off to idle was unsettling. 10 miles later, better, 100 miles later, better, 250 miles later, better. It doesn't want to stall on roll off any more, but it doesn't like 2000-3000 rpm much. I rode the dealers Terra, it was fine, I don't remember how many miles it had on it. I'll be interested to see how things develop. Love the bike, rides great, surprisingly comfortable at highway speeds. Just a bit rough off of idle.
  5. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    I've filled twice at the station, both times putting the nozzle down in, and just squeezing away. Flawless both times. I didn't think it had a chance, but it seems very functional. The can will be more challenging I'm sure.
    roscotom likes this.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    thats been my experience too. Shove the nozzle in and pull the handle till it stops, works great.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Mine was too, went full soft on the preload and added some rebound and it is about perfect for me now (190 pounds)
    Kenneth Webb likes this.
  8. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Beta 430, Honda CR 144, XS650
    My Terra wants to stall right off idle as well. First tank of gas so we'll see how it goes. Mine doesn't want to stall rolling off to idle- rather just off idle it seems to have a massive miss (worse when it warms up) Giving it some revs as you take off keeps it running, but that's not how I ride. Other than that it runs good- very smooth I'd agree. Seems pretty slow, but maybe it's the other bikes I have that make it feel that way. Handles really well. Brakes feel kinda wooden right now- not much feel or power especially from the front (I realize, brand new brakes so I'm not too concerned) neutral can be hard to find- sometimes my neutral light fails to come on as well. I'm not complaining, just honest observations. I'm in love with the bike. I could see it easily becoming my main ride. Hitting some dirt roads and 2 track this weekend- cant wait.
  9. v12gte Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husqvarna Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, MV Agusta
    classic. I need to visit socal more often.
  10. Toyboy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC250/2012 TXC310, 2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW Hp2E/Yamaha Super T/BMW R1200RTP
    Got my bike and it was a demo with 151 miles on it. I has none of the symptoms you guys are having from new so might just be a little break in time....
  11. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Finally had a chance to get on the freeway today and put in about 70 miles at 65 to 70. The engine is just loafing along under 5K so I know this is going to be a good one for long trips. I'll be putting in thousands of miles at a time. I did notice that up around 70 I had what felt like an out of balance tire(s). Could have been the road surface too, but it felt worse at the rear than at the front. I presume the wheels/tires are balanced at the factory, but maybe not. I'll pull each and balance here with my static balancer once I figure out how to support the bike. No skid plate! Yet. I also wondered about the tires. I have them at the manual recommended pressure, which is a lot higher than I normally run my dual sports, so little cushion effect. Shouldn't make a difference though. Suspension is pretty stiff but should loosen up. Rear preload is at mid point. Maybe it should be softened up a bit too since I'm riding solo and no luggage. Bar vibration is there but very mild. I may wrap some bicycle cork tape around the grips like on my 630. Makes the grips a bit fatter, but dampens the vibes a bit. Very happy I bit the bullet and bought this bike.
  12. mario33 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra'13 - Lady in Red 2
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Isnt it something with Metz Sahara's ? Some folks around here complained about them in the past as being unstable. And tyre balancing didnt help much.

BTW, TKC80's are also unstable over 80, but more upfront than at the back.
    fleche phoenix likes this.
  13. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Interesting... never heard of that idea. I might do the same on my bike.
  14. Travis Shrey Husqvarna
    A Class

I cured a nasty wobble on my 630 when I switched to a Sahara rear. It's stable now up over 100...
  15. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    +1 I had to switch back to the Sahara's on my X-challange because the 606/908's I had on it were scary at anything over 65.
    Also stable up over 100 with the Sahara's.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I had the same high speed wobble. Went away after i moved the shock preload to the lowest setting and added some rebound.