Real world reactions to the TR models...

Discussion in 'TR650' started by ray_ray, Oct 11, 2012.

1. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    For the few who are riding these bikes today ...

What feed back or reactions are you getting from the public when you roll in up on one of these Huskies? Myself, I'd be blown away if I saw a Husky ~street looking bike ...
  2. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    My experience with our TE Husky's is that they might as well be a toppless woman holding a sign that says come talk to me. You know you are going to look, and you know you want to talk and find out what you can about the beauties. :D
    Tinken and ray_ray like this.
  3. roscotom Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BMW F800GS Adventure
    Yep last post is about how it goes. Just got a 650 terra stopped to get gas and two harley guys came over to tell me how awesome my bike was. Needless to say I thought that was a big two thumbs up for a Husky 650:cheers:
    ray_ray likes this.
  4. capt42104 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Took a look at one today and my BMW shop said they were $6800. Seems pretty cheap to me. I noticed a few things right off....Cheap rims that look steel, NO under engine protection at all, cable clutch (at least it wont leak), plastic rear rack with pre drilled holes (nice touch), seemed top heavy too. But, i must say it is very good looking and much more KLResq than i expected. If i was moving up to a Husky now from a KLR, like i did last year, i would definitely buy this. With that said, i have no regrets at all and i am very happy i did it when i did because the TE is much more off-road orientated than the TR. When i wear it out, i will get a 511 or KTM.
    ray_ray likes this.
  5. Planepower Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TC 250/ 450 6spd, 2007 SMR 530
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducat 1198S, SV1000, CBR125, DRZ125
    So, tell me; Terra or Strada?
    All this Hooplah and I'm thinking of jumping on the band-wagon (if I can find one locally, and IF they are just as cheap in CDN $$).
    ray_ray likes this.
  6. hudler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    HI Planepower, I have been trying to find one in Canada and also the MSRP. No luck yet, must be a month or two away. If you find out anything let me know through a pm. I will do the same for you. Cheers!
    Planepower likes this.
  7. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    The TR has its purpose, 95% street and 5% dirt, 408lbs, 58HP.
    The TE has its purpose, 95% dirt and 5% street, 256lbs, 51-54HP.

The TR looks fun to ride and it is realatively cheap compaired to other Huskys. I'd love to feel how smooth the BMW based engine is. 55 mpg is nice but also probably very lean. I would imagine there may be a power increase from fattening up the maps. I would like to see one fixed up to comapre with a KTM690. :)
    ray_ray likes this.
  8. rajobigguy Administrator

I cant really speak to the TR reactions but there was one time when I went to the local hamburger stand on my TE 610 and there were a couple of college girls on the patio, one of them asked if I was riding a dirt bike on the street. I said it's legal but just barely and she said "What a coincidence, so am I".:D
    I suspect that the reation to the TR would be similar.
  9. Planepower Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I've email contacted the local dealer here, but as of yet (2 days later), no reply. At a claimed $7500, I'd quickly snatch one up. The GF needs a new bike ;)
    ray_ray, hudler and Tinken like this.
  10. hudler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    I have not been able to find a price in Canada yet, did inquire in Alberta and to the big dealer in British Columbia. Both had no MSRP for me at this time. No bikes either..lol! $7500 does sound about right though with our dollar being pretty strong compared to the USD. Located in Saskatchewan, I do have a few months before any riding will be taking place here....:doh:
  11. Planepower Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    If its like any other comparative pricing; Canadian dealers will be selling them for $10K+.
    Lame...
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    the TR650 is a far better bike than i thought it would be and will be a super useful lightweight adventure bike. thats my reaction. My other reaction is I wish the weather was not turning for the worse as i want to hammer out a bunch more miles on it.
    ray_ray and WoodsChick like this.
  13. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Motosportz, you could always make red anodized tire studs lol. I miss riding my wr250x in the Colorado winters just buy some good gear!
  14. KLOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

I received an e-mail from BMW regarding the parts and warranty "issues" arising from Barrett's bankruptcy:

"We can confirm that the parts situation has now been resolved, however we are still working on getting the warranty system to work. Unfortunately we cannot give a timeline as to when this will be resolved at this time."
    -- September 13, 2012

I have no idea whether the warranty situation for previous model year applies to new MY bikes or whether it has been sorted out since I received the e-mail,
    but is it even possible to sell these bikes in Canada without a functioning warranty program in place?

Also, I just can't see these things moving at $10k+.
    At ... all.
  15. hudler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    If you look at the Canadian MSRP of the other Husky lines and compare to the US MSRP, the difference last year was less then $1000 and in some cases half that. Our dollar is stronger this year so I would be suprised if the Canadian Terra was more then $7500-7800. Puts it about $1300 more then the KLR.
  16. Planepower Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the input hudler. I can't wait to see one.
    Katten likes this.
  17. WHITEROCKET5.9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

thats a instant classic right there :cheers:
    ray_ray and Coffee like this.
  18. Thumpa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM Dakar, G650X
    I must agree with whiterocket, i think this bike truly has the making of a classic. It kind of sets a new benchmark, in a class of it's own kind of way. Build quality ergonomics simplicity of layout and one of the most solid feeling platforms of any ds or adv bike i've owned. power is really smooth and everywhere you want whenever you want it. It's seriously planted and holds solid and fast lines. I can hands down say this thing has improved my riding style within the first 1K miles of slab, compared to my previous G650X Co. It feels like a dirt bike and yet rides like a dream on the street for this class of bike. No light weight, but slots somewhere between big adv and lighter single track bikes. Pulls more like a twin, and hands down one of the best looking new single dirt capable machines to air in a while. Looks way better in the flesh and draws a lot of interest from many a folk whenever i park up. Sounds bloody great with them twin tail pipes, like ducati great!
  19. Toyboy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC250/2012 TXC310, 2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW Hp2E/Yamaha Super T/BMW R1200RTP
    Just at 600 miles on my bike. Oil change time so I rode the Super Tenere to work today. Can't believe I am going to say this but.....Ugh! Miss the Husky !!. Sooo much more fun to ride. The Yamaha felt like a Winnabago! Do miss the horse power of this but I do think with a few tweaks, the horsepower to weight ratio on the Terra would be just fine. 5-8 more horsepower and this will be one hell of a machine. Somebody make an exhaust,(twin btw) quick!! Need a bag and and a small windscreen, heated grips and I think I could even sell the Yamaha and ride the Terra as a prime mover....I agree with fleche and whiterocket. This bike is a classic.
    Netteb16, Ogre_fl and ray_ray like this.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Glad I am not the only one who thinks this bike is far better than it should be. Great machine despite all the BMW haters and remarks before the bike came out. there is a whole thread on TT to bash the TR650 that kinda fell flat as the real owners report how good it is. Some people just want to blindly bash because of the BMW influence and preconceptions but I'll just judge the bikes at face value. Works for people and bikes. I don't care what color or design a bike is (or people), some are great some are crap. Both the 449/511 and this bike should have been disastrous turds instead they are both very good. I'm liking it.
    Planepower likes this.