1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Oil levels post Zip-Ty Oil Recirculation Kit installation

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Husky Bob, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Normann Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449 MY2012
    611 paper filter has inner perforated metal tube and metal caps. ZipTy oil cap magnetize it well.
    Husky Bob and Tinken like this.
  2. Suputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250X, 81 Yamaha RD350LC, 90 RZ350

OK, so then the line from the head cover should run to the fitting on the top right (looking at the unit)? And the outlet to the air box should be the fitting on the top left?

The bottom oil return line runs under the fuel tank and throttle body to the left side of the motor and then down to the old drain plug. There are no kinks in it.
  3. Suputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250X, 81 Yamaha RD350LC, 90 RZ350
    Going through the old thread regarding the oil recovery system and found this pic. This is how mine is plumbed.

[IMG]

Which is also how this one is plumbed.

[IMG]
  4. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
  5. Husky Bob Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    300 XTR
    I hooked mine up yesterday. Will post pictures later. I found the Zip-Ty instruction leaflet excellent to the point of fitting the new outlet value to the value cover. I had to use the photos on the ZipTy website to work out how to connect the hoses. Topped up with 1150-1200 ml of oil, it started overflowing somewhere just after 1150. I don't know how the boys put more in then that. I will hit the road for a test run today! Draining oil will be a bit of a pain in the arse now because the drain plug has the new connector which also prevents removal of the two wire mesh filters. Maybe a small price to pay. Looking forward to a great result!
  6. N4544D Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449 sold, 2018 TX 300 sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 250 XCW, KTM 500 XCF-W
    Lay your bike on it's side to fit more oil in :)
  7. Husky Bob Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    300 XTR
    Cool, will do. Took my 449 for a short spin today with the new recirc kit and Akro pipe fitted. Awesome!! No oil leaking (even though it wasn't a proper test, it was enough to convince me it was worth it.

One bug bear I have with the recirc kit is having to attaching the run-off pipe to the engine oil drain plug point. its going to be a hassle to drain the oil because of this pipe.

QUESTION: could that pipe be connected somewhere else eg the OEM gas outlet which was used to pipe gases to the air filter?
  8. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I actually have a mod that allows you to do that, but it requires engine disassembly. Otherwise, it takes a fair amount of pressure to force the oil back through the tiny holes on the torque limiter.
  9. Husky Bob Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    300 XTR
    That sounds like too much PT. I'd rather find a steel step down connector for the oil drain plug to replace the aluminium one supplied in the zip-ty kit. The aluminium connector seems far too flimsy and vulnerable to permanent damage.
  10. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    You could try a forged 90 AN, XRP makes the best. I suggested this, but the cost was too high for Ty to go with it.

900506 combined with a 230006

[IMG]
    Husky Bob likes this.
  11. crashtd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna SMR 511
    I too am still getting oil in the airbox still, running roughly 1L of oil. Happens during supermoto sessions, so a lot of full throttle action.

After reading this thread though, I'm not 100% certain that my Zip-Ty system is setup correctly. Here's a look...

[IMG]

[IMG]
  12. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I set up the hoses differently. Out of the valve cover breather and around the spark plug before going to the breather bottle. Out of the breather, down and around to the back side of the airbox.
    Huskynoobee likes this.
  13. Normann Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449 MY2012
    crashtd,
    you have connected hose to water drain plug. When you cross deep river, water can go from airbox to oil tank.
    Motosportz likes this.
  14. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Good eye Normann. I thought something looked really wrong. You definitely need to connect that to the original vent port on the back of the Airbox by the throttle body. Running longer lines isn't as tidy, but helps it work properly.
    Normann likes this.
  15. crashtd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna SMR 511
    Thanks guys!
  16. Khaaf162 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 fe501s
    Can't tell from the pic but the way you have it hooked up looks like you might not of disconnected the orangial crank case vent line. If that is the case the Zipty kit may not even be doing anything.
    Tinken likes this.
  17. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    There's a cap in the kit that you use to block off your original breather vent. If it is still connected then you could still be venting oil up to your air filter box.

Please visit this thread for install options:
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/ztr-oil-recirculation-system.39308/

The breather vent should face this direction.
    [IMG]

And swing around the spark plug before going to the inlet on the breather tank like this.
    [IMG]

The return to air box should look like this.
    [IMG]

And the oil drain back like this.
    [IMG]

Cap off the old breather vent with supplied vacuum cap, add a zipty or grip wire.
    [IMG]
  18. Stephen Flint Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 RMZ450
    G'day Tinkin, live in australia and have a 2013 TE449 which has a noisey clutch at idle and oil carry over to air box. Am in the process of trying to purchase a zip ty recirc kit but as you can imagine freight seams to be a big issue. Anyhow sounds like the system works well.
    donjohnson likes this.
  19. CJW Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE511
    I just installed the oil recirc kit. All went according to the direction, except the provided part to connect the hose to my oil drain hole was not the correct size for my 2011 TE511. The provided part would fit either of the two prefilter bolts in front of the drain bolt, but was too large for the drain plug. I have hooked this up to the front prefilter. Will this work, or do I need to get the correct size from ZipTy?

[IMG]
  20. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    That's odd because it's designed to go into the drain plug. You should not run it this way because the pre-filter screens are part of the pump section and are pressurized which may cause oil to flow back up the return hose rather than allowing the oil to return to the drain plug area. I have the early version that returns to the filler plug (which I prefer) but have not heard of this issue before.

I know Ty recently had a new batch of these made and he may not be aware of the potential issue. Give the shop a call and ask to talk to Ty.