Oil Change Drama

Discussion in 'TR650' started by DirtyOldMan, Feb 9, 2013.

1. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    Congrats Donkeyses! That fits this thread just fine.....it took some lube to get the baby out.:D
    RidingDonkeys likes this.
  2. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    Lube...and 17 hours of labor.
  3. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    So I couldn't leave good enough alone. Chuffa over on ADV made mention that he matched his plug up to M10x1.0 instead of 1/8" NPT. Well, I didn't exactly get my valve in all the way, but I attributed this largely to not being able to get much pressure on it. So I found myself at my awesome local hardware store today that has every pipe fitting known to mankind...except a 1/8" NPT valve of course.

I came up with this heap of parts, which included a 3/8" NPT three way female fitting, two 3/8" NPT to 1/2" OD hose barbs, a 1/4" NPT valve, and a 3/8" NPT to 1/4" NPT male fitting. I liked the valve better, but it was a heavy bunch of parts that essentially restricted oil flow by less than 1/16 of an inch over the stock fitting. So I put it on the scale to make sure I wasn't wasting my time. Hmmm. i don't know if I want 250+ grams swinging from a hose on a thumper.

[IMG]

So I took the original solution off the bike. It weighs in at over 100 grams lighter.

[IMG]

And in case you were wondering what came from the factory, here is the stock fitting. It is close to 5/16" inner diameter. There is NOT a stop to prevent you from putting anything too far into the plug hole and blocking the flow...

[IMG]

[IMG]

So what does all this mean? It means that I had the best solution all along. I put my original valve on with a fresh coat of Yamalube 4, and used my bench vise to help me get it in all the way. I measured it off, and the thread is 27 threads per inch, which confirms 1/8th NPT. The valve I used, when screwed in completely, did not protrude into the oil flow when running. Once again, the part I bought is a PneumaticPlus MMTH-12, bought on Amazon here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EOXXYO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I rotated it down when I reinstalled it, and still use my elbow barb to hook up a hose. Make sure you tilt it out enough so that it doesn't vibrate against the engine.

[IMG]

And now my oil changes look like this.

[IMG]

And what do you do with that nasty hose when you're done? Just plug it into the other side. You don't need anything tight fitting here, so pick your hose so it is just tight enough to slide on your barb and stay put. I'm not sure what I've got, since I just pulled some extra hose out of my homebrewing stash. But it works perfect. Needless to say, now I don't need to worry about a drippy hose hanging in my workshop.

[IMG]

My oil change is complete. Now I just need to figure out how to clean up all that oil in my SW-Motech skid plate.
  4. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    Nice RD! It looks like you could make a small elbow coming off the valve cover bolt and zip tie to it to keep things from bouncing around. Dunno. Your assembly looks pretty close to it, but I could be wrong.
  5. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    Alrighty, that rips it. That's the mod I will use. Thanks RD.
    Dirtman likes this.
  6. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
    or you could just get the form a funnel, www.formafunnel.com no mess no trip to the store for fittings
  7. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    I'm going down this route. We use these on engines for oil sample or pressure test points. It's made by Parker so it won't be cheap especially if you have to buy the accompanying female quick release

sample01.jpg
  8. Gibster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '84 XR350R
    Missed this post. Looking through my collection of fittings at work today and this is what I came up with too. Been around for a long time and never seen one fail, even on high pressure systems.
  9. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Do you have the female to go onto the nipple? I had a look around work for spare but no joy:(
  10. Gibster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '84 XR350R
    Yes, I have a couple of them at work. Thought I came up with a good idea and you beat me to it! PM me. Maybe we can work something out.
  11. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    It's all good; thanks for the offer though. Our engines use them for bleeding the common rail fuel system so I have to look harder or book one out to an engine rebuild.

vent_fitting.JPG
  12. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Have been looking at the Swagelok bleed valve. Ss bvm2 not cheap but has a tamper lock and a 90 degree elbow drain tube. 1/8 npt stainless steel.
    image.jpg
  13. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Had a re think on this oil tank drain and got a few bits from the hydraulic workshop. The thread on the original fitting is a M10 x 1mm parallel thread, however an 1/8 npt will fit but will not screw in very far as it is a tapered thread. Used an M10 adaptor screwed in with an o ring washer and thread lock then made up an oil hose with a blanking plug on the end.
    20140312_180432.jpg

Reinstalled original fitting but faced the drain port towards the engine and ran the hose above the cylinder head and down the vent tube on the right hand side of the bike.

20140314_143707.jpg

20140314_143734.jpg

20140314_143911.jpg

Will get a dust cap for the bottom fitting (piece of larger hose slipped over fitting) and once the bash plate is fitted will sort out a way to secure the end, for now it is zip tied to the vent line.
    Filled the oil tank, cracked the drain plug to bleed any air and re torqued.
    Went this way because I found the option of a tap or bleed valve added a lot of weight to the unsupported original fitting, this way I get the benefit of no extra stress on the original oil hose lines and the drain plug is located down near the bottom of the bike just in front of the sump plug. (also cheap)
    PaulC and hasenpfeffer like this.
  14. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Found a walking stick end rubber to use as a dust cover for the new oil line drain. Fits like a glove! Will put another zip tie on just to make sure

20140315_154053.jpg

Also found one to fit in the handlebar hole to stop stuff getting in there

20140315_140433.jpg
  15. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I have been asked what fittings I used on the above modification to the oil tank drain.

The fittings are: M10 to 9/16 JLC adaptor, 10mm Dowty seal washer for the adaptor to original fitting, hose end fittings are two female 9/16 JLC to 1/4 Push Lock fittings, 9/16 JLC blanking plug and a length of 1/4 Push Lock hyd hose.

JLC fittings are metal to metal sealing type fittings that have a 37 degree flare (sealing surface angle) and straight United National Fine straight threads (UNF)

Push Lock hoses work with the applicable fitting to make up hose assemblies without crimping/swaging.

If you can get a male M10 Push Lock fitting, this will negate the need for a M10 to JLC adaptor allowing you to connect hose direct to original bike fitting(you will still need the sealing washer). I also used a tiny dot of stud lock on the adaptor fitting when I fitted it into the original fitting. These fittings are very common items, check out a few hyd workshops/hose suppliers near you.
    Hope this helps.
  16. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    What about the permanently oil-filled "drain" hose?
    It's filled with oil now and...
    needs thicker/ heavier material/ hose to hold that oil all the time, rather than just a thinner/ clear PVC tube for drainage?
    All up it might not make much of a difference?
    Neat fixes, all of them :applause:
  17. Engenia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Benelli Tornado Novocentro Tre
    Thanks Geeza. This is an elegant solution for changing oil when out "in the bush".
    I followed the form, but used lower pressure parts :-
    Speedflow: M10x1.0 male to 5/16" tail (pn: 414-M10-05-BLK)
    Speedflow: -6 female to 5/16" tail (pn: 411-06-05)
    Speedflow:-6 flare plug (pn: SF806-06)
    10mm Dowty seal (o-ring washer)
    600 mm 5/16 oil hose & hose clamps
    15mm walking stick tip + silicone grease to help it slip over the plug.
    total cost just under AUD 40.