Oil Change Drama

Discussion in 'TR650' started by DirtyOldMan, Feb 9, 2013.

1. DirtyOldMan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    15 Beta XTrainer 04 250 RFS
    I have now escaped from my self-inflicted predicament and am now capable of absorbing mockery so I'll tell this story on myself.
    Finally got the bike up to the 600 mi mark and set about the first oil/filter change. I'd done an oil only change at 50 mi. so I'd already learned about the oil line drain and the need for a pop bottle catch funnel and proper refilling, oil level check procedure etc.
    Opened the bottom drain, burned my hand as usual, everything looking good.
    Set the cut open pop bottle funnel under the oil line, opened the drain, oil running out.
    Unscrewed the oil cap to let air in and just set it back in the opening for safe keeping.
    Back on the other side of the bike I moved the handle bars to get a better access and heard a "snap" sound.
    I instantly knew what it was and cussed myself. Peeked up over the bike and the oil filler was gone.
    Saw it down by the radiator and knocked it down to the floor. Was afraid to look. Peeked around the front tire and #$%^&**!!!, the dipstick had indeed broken off and was down in the tank.
    Put everthing back together and changed the filter while I thought. Flashlight down the filler hole does not reveal the dipstick miraculously caught near the opening.
    A length of safety wire fashioned into a spring shape does not miraculously retrieve it.
    Crap!
    Started investigating what needed removal to get to the bottom opening of the oil tank.
    Seat, 3 pcs of plastic, air filter, coolant catch bottle and no less than 20 of these

[IMG]

and I was able to see where the hose was connected to the tank. Pulled off the hose and found this

[IMG]

A screen at the bottom of the oil tank, which is handy because there were some metal shavings present from the manufacturing process or maybe break in.
    I was glad to clean them out though.

Next was 2 one hour sessions feeling around with a wire and flashlight trying to get that dipstick out. At one point it was completely lost, took a while to re-find it and I'd satisfied myself it could probably do no harm, but I really wanted it out.
    Finally held my mouth just right and said a few prayers and it came on out.

[IMG]

Here's where the fishin' took place.

[IMG]

Temporary dipstick until replacement arrives.

[IMG]

Mock at will.
    rajobigguy, FabOneUp and HuskyDude like this.
  2. HARDER1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400S
    Man! Too bad these aren't metal! Probably wouldn't break, or at least it could've been fished with a magnet! Thanks for posting.
  3. TerraCzar Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    And now it's time to change the oil, right? I hate when that kinda stuff happens. Good job on the fishing.
  4. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
  5. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    :thinking: Now who do we know that likes to Fab things up and doesn't mind sharing with us....
    I think a aluminum one would be a great in improvement.
    Sorry it happen to you D.O.M. but I thank you for sharing.
    :cheers:
    FabOneUp likes this.
  6. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    Wow! That was extremely entertaining. I think I felt every emotion you did while reading that. The highlight was "snap". Love the temp dipstick and it's good to know about the pre filter. That dipstick is kind of a PITA anyway. There was a nice red aluminum cap someone posted and might tune in. I think it was from a Ducati. I will check and edit.

Here it is; from Wadejesu post #11. Part number included!
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/mirrors-gone.30276/
  7. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    Mock? I'd be inclined to save the money on a new filler/dipstick and just put the bike key on your new dipstick keyring and use that whenever required.
  8. mario33 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra'13 - Lady in Red 2
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    I still dont have my Terra in yet so I cant check... But if the oil intake is the same as in BMW GS (and I presume it is...), so you can have that, available either in Red or Titanium:

[IMG]
    danielcure likes this.
  9. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Don't think so.

You did something that anyone could have done. Thanks for the information, and because it could have happened to anyone, think I will make this a sticky thread, at least for the time being. :cheers:
    Kenneth Webb and HuskyDude like this.
  10. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    What is this part? It looks like it is made by Kyle, or Kile, but I can't find it on the web. A little help?
  11. Terramack Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
  12. mario33 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra'13 - Lady in Red 2
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    This is a part produced by italian Kite for Twalcom, specially prepared for their Rallye BMW F800GS, not listed in Kite own catalog.

http://twalcomusa.com/ttr-by-kite-oil-plug-rod-inspection-racing-red.html

Lots of parts are interchangeable so worth checking if it fits. Mr. HighFive might help as he currently owns both (my own F800GS is now gone).

I will be getting their off-pegs for sure (much much better than Husky own ones):

[IMG]

Heck, maybe even their chain guide might fit...

[IMG]
  13. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Nice, all of it. Come on HighFive, fill us in on whether it works or not.

The problem with mounting any chain guide will be the mounting plate. I sure wish Husky had provided some mounting points for one.

The red pegs are serious bling! I am partial to Pivot Pegs though, and wonder what they have that will fit.
    HuskyDude likes this.
  14. William42 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT1200Z
    Hey DirtyOldMan I thought I was the only one who did stuff like this. Nice recovery.
  15. Highfive Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE390, BMW F800GS
    No....the F800 oil cap will not fit the TR650. It has larger threads and about twice the length of the Husky dipstick.

HF
  16. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    :( We'll find one that works yet.
  17. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Try something from the GS650 single
  18. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Not to sound like an ogre, but could we keep this thread about oil changing & replacment oil caps?

Just to keep things a bit on topic for the benefit of the casual readers who do not want to wade through non-oil change topics. :cheers:
  19. Terramack Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra

Not to sound like a dufus, but I thought this was about not what to do when changing your oil. Maybe we need to change the name of thread?
    I do like the idea of red pegs and oil caps tho. At least something good came out of dirties misadventure. :)

Cheers
  20. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I might know someone with boxes and boxes of oil caps... *cough* Can't quite remember the name... starts with a Z...

Maybe we could find out the thread size?