1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Next project - 2002 CR250

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Motosportz, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    on my 165 it is good for 6-8 MPG better.
  2. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    I have a gently used stock husky 48 tooth sprocket that came on my 144 that I would gladly trade you for a 52 tooth...

Later,
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Again, the motor is near perfect as is and not looking to put a FFW on it.
  4. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    Oops I misread you're post #115. The lectron makes it so silky smooth provini valves and fww are a thing of the past.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I dont know about all that but it is a good carb and does seem to smooth the powerband out, have nice throttle response and get better MPG. Also very nice with temp and elevation changes.
  6. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    ATF is a very good fork oil, especially if you like to play with fork valving. The lower cost doesn't hurt as badly if you want to go in and change some shims between service intervals.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I actually love it as fork oil. Super slick and like you said cheap so you can change it all you like. I did a fancy goldvalve / progressive fork deal to my 165 45mm shivers with ATF in them and they are the best 45mm shivers I have ever rode. Went from crap to great forks. You might need to valve slightly softer but I have found changing oil viscosity does not have a lot of affect on forks, I think it is more volume flow than viscosity.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Also here is an update ripped from that post so I dont have to retype it. A bunch of it is suspension related but also explains how this bike has been totally transforms. I am loving this machine now. The motor is second to none and the handling is amazing as well.

I took one face shim out, one in the middle of the high speed stack and added two .2 clamping shims. I'm shooting for too soft as is seems 90% of the time I'm trying to make them softer and have the clickers all the way out. Did a 61 mile ride through my favorite local trail. Conditions were epic, 55 degrees and coffee ground dirt. This area is very technical and steep. Climb up one side of a mountain and down the other all day. We started with 5 riders, one had a shock blow 11 miles in. Two (on KTMs) went back to the truck on the road at about 45-50 miles as they were spent 10 miles before that. The two oldests guys on an 07 and 02 huskies kept riding and enjoying :) This area is very rocky, big loose rocks, lots of embedded rocks, roots and lots of slow technical stuff. I ride this area a lot as it is the best stuff local and as such is the target I am trying to get this bike to work in. Did lots of clicking of the adjusters front and back. First off the shock is a HUGE improvement but and would have been just unsticking the resi piston and adding oil. As I mentioned this shock was a mess. Before revalve if you flipped it upside down it would move over and inch with zero damping. Was obviously half full of oil, piston stuck on resi, not enough spring preload and the oil that was in there was white foaming fish oil. No wonder I was semi disappointed with the handling. Anyway the mods did exactly what I had hoped. Bike is amazing in the rocks a roots. Tracks super straight through the nasties and I felt I could do no wrong. Handling went from confused to seriously one of the best turning bikes ever. Now that the suspension is riding in the right place with damping I like the bike turning is fantastic. Very neutral, very planted, does what you want all the time and can place it on the trail with amazing accuracy. This bike feels very light for some reason. Very nimble and reactive while still very planted and stable. Once again, like with my reworked 04 CR165 these 02-04 generation of huskys just work right for me. I love the ergonomics and thin feel, how they are so neutral handling wise and forgiving. OK back to the suspension. Its not perfect but it is a huge step in the right direction and very happy with it as is. Like I said it tracks amazingly well, deflects of nothing, is plush, hitting rocks of any size and root wads and 1.5 foot step-ups with roots as the top part is exactly what I hoped for. My trail speed with this compliance, the fantastic handling and the amazing motor was very high yesterday even though I was knocking it back a notch due to some recent get offs and painful body parts (shoulder and hand). I was in that hero zone where you can do no wrong. Bike never hit the ground as everybody else had several interesting get offs. Bike is really coming around and went from a cool semi vintage bike to one of my favorite mounts for this type of riding. I was gaping our group by huge margins and was not trying hard to do it. So amazing what bike setup can do for you. So thats the good news. I could leave it just like this and be happy as a clam. But where is it not real good? On large G-outs, big hits and large stroke type things it blows through the rear. The front I was able to dial to within 90% plus of my needs and am really pretty happy with it. Handles the bigger hits well, does not deflect, tracks and steers wonderful and is comfortable. Not like super amazing end all forks but very good and right about where I want them. If anything on the forks it seems the rebound could be better. The rear is very good on slower roots and rocks. Gobbles the nasties up and the bike stays very planted and tracking straight, this was a big part of my increased speed as you can pick straight lines to corners and not worry about the bike being all over the place and always compensating or worrying about trail junk. Where it struggles in in the faster chop. Gets a little harsh feeling like soft compression is making it pack down. I tried increasing the low speed adjusters to hold it up but that made it worse. I tried loosening the rebound to get it to stay up in the travel better but it becomes to loose and did not really solve the problem. All that said even as soft as it is you can charge this stuff and the bike stays dead straight and does not buck. I can live with this. Maybe some different valving would resolve this and I might try some suggestions to sort it but really all suspension is a trade off. As is I am VERY happy with it and it does everything I hopped it would. The clickers ended up near the middle of the range which is good and did seem to have a lot of affect when twisted. This was a resounding success for me and look forward to further refining this bike. Oh, i just remembered I used air in the shock and could only manage 135 pounds so 160 or so of nitrogen might help some too.

On a side note the amazing motor in this thing feels even better with the wheels following the ground so closely and putting the power down. I traded off with my buddy on a 07 WR250 and there is no comparison, the CR250 has way more power, is more usable and surprisingly not violent. He loved it and was semi disappointed in his bake afterwards. (now there is one more guy looking for a 02 CR250 ignition) Can be short shifted and lugged like a perfect running 300 (actually reminds me of the 300rr beta I just rode), has sweet mid range and big top end. Bike makes great power from 2 rpm to redline and is super linear. Impossible to stall and pulls from so ridiculously low you do stupid stuff to see what you can get away with. I need a new muffler (to loud and leaks everywhere / annoying) and a lectron carb (because i love them and want more milage as well) and the motor will be ridiculous. I dropped the needle in the stock carb and it really runs very good but I like how the Lectrons work much better. The 7/8th inch bars with crossbars are a nice bend but might have to go, after riding with fatbars forever these feel harsh and unforgiving. Also these 250 huskys vibrate a good amount and I found it semi irritating for the first few miles before I learned to ignore it. I think fatbars will squelch some of this.

Thanks a ton for the help guys. The bike is completely transformed into 95% of what I was hoping. The suspension changes made the bike handle and react amazing, the motor is amazing and the bike just flat works for me. There are very few bikes I would choose to ride this gnar with over my much loved and totally reworked 04 CR165 but this one just pushed its way into "take me this time" zone big time.

[IMG]

[IMG]

For a reference this is on my 165 but we ride a lot of these types of trails mixed in with more open faster almost quad width stuff covered in rocks both embedded and loose mixed in. So you get an idea of what I am shooting for. The vid is kinda crappy and you cants wee all the rocks, roots, little sink holes and general trail trash that knocks you off course. Need to get Jake to post up a good rocky vid from his gopro-3.

10. woodsrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    '18 Alta MXR
    Very interesting. Any particular brand of ATF?
  11. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph

For your situational awareness, Honda automotive says to use their ATF Z1 formula and none other in their automatic transmissions. They recommend their own manual transmission fluid too. I run Chevron Mercron Dexron 3 ATF in my Husky transmission, my Nissan Titan automatic transmission, my Honda automatic transmission (10 Civic), and my Honda manual transmission (98 Civic). So, even the cheap MD-3 ATF from Chevron ($2 per qt at Costco :notworthy:) does the job. I'm sure it would do it for your forks too.
  12. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph

Mighty fine looking trails there Kelly. :thumbsup::banana:
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Get your ass down here for a rip.
  14. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    does it use the same silencer as newer 250/300s Kelly?
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I believe so. Thats some old answer job that is hacked on there. My buddy with a 07 WR250 was on this ride as well, we looked at the bikes a lot and the frame, subframe, and motor look physically the same.
  16. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    yeh it looks a bit 'how ya going' like its hanging too low or something. answer brand or just a sticker? never knew they made hard parts if so!
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yep Answer used to make hard parts.
  18. firffighter Husqvarna
    AA Class

19. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    There is a 2002 in Arkansas for $1400 on CL too.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many