New guy with TE610 questions

Discussion in '610/630' started by MATPOC, May 4, 2017.

1. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    took clutch side cover off last night, as I suspected... balance shaft locked up and spun the gear off, must have been some force... I did torque the nut and even replaced the tab washer because the old one was already reused twice

Trying to hot-link the photos from Google album, not sure if it will work, and if it doesn't I can't edit posts...

link https://photos.app.goo.gl/3CuiAYVVdrKW48Qa2

[IMG]
  2. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    guess it didn't..

20170713_163505.jpg
  3. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Ouch. So where are you at re fixing the matter Matpoc
  4. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    I'm kinda busy at work and spending weekends with my girl making up for time I was away, also I got a trip to Florida coming up in less than 2 weeks so Husky getting no attention, barely had enough time to pull the clutch since I came back.
  5. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    This is epic, got to leave for work at 7 tomorrow (on my husky) but stayed up until 11 reading this thread!

I'm planning to do a top end rebuild on my old 2001 610, gotta pull the motor from the frame to get the head off first!

I love a good build thread, well done!
  6. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many

Thanks! Glad someone finds it entertaining :)

I removed the top end from mine with motor still in the frame, but I suppose it's easier to have it out on the bench, unless you have a lift. One disadvantage of having the motor out is that it moves around when you trying to torque the bolts, getting proper torque on head bolts was simply impossible so I used the lift, using the front wheel chuck as a vice on the rear part of the cases where swingarm bolt comes through.
  7. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Thanks for replying Matpoc.

I am wondering how to access some of the bolts with a torque wrench when the engine is in the frame. I can imagine the head of the torque wrench not clearing against the cylinder barrel.

I believe there are two small head bolts on the side of the cylinder head that go in upside down which look like they would pose a problem with a torque wrench. Perhaps an extra long 1/4" extension might be required.

Also, when I tried to pull the head on my bike the jug came up with it and came off the piston, now I can't get enough clearance to pull the head nor can I get the jug back on the piston, hence the idea of pulling the engine from the frame.

Gotta replace the cam chain on my new one first though!
  8. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many

Cam chain was easy :)

Did you remove all the small bolts? there are 4 head studs, 2 more upside down studs with nuts under the intake and exhaust (Used "crow's foot" to torque them) then 2 small allen screws on the chain side
  9. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    Rode to FL by way of Deal's Gap, made it all the way to Key west before leaving my R1100S in Miami area and flying home with my 8 year old who was spending summer with my Dad.
    less than 3 weeks later I went back to Deal's gap for the eclipse... that was some experience!!

needless to say TE is not getting any love... but I did pull the left side cover and starter support out, left side lock nut backed off as well and was jammed against the starter reduction gear, came off probably because when beading failed the balance shaft was bangng on the gear and just spun the nut off from contact friction. I'm gonna get to it soon, but for now trying to enjoy the weather

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 11.57.14 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 11.56.04 PM.png

20170731_143835.jpg
    20914455_794938434011551_5418569512353529753_n.jpg
    jimmyc and mekanik like this.
  10. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
  11. overlandllama Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Great thread... turns out we were really close to passing you through Newfoundland and Labrador, going the other direction in 2017... we did the gravel section from Goose Bay to Blanc Sablon overnight and we’d been going non stop since Manic 5... it was brutal.

there are some valuable tips in your thread that I will be mindful of while going through a 610 being picked up this Sunday. It’s high miles and there appears to be very little history on it. Should be fun. Cheers, Orion