New guy with TE610 questions

Discussion in '610/630' started by MATPOC, May 4, 2017.

1. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    Hi All!

New to Huskys, new here but plenty of experience with bikes, got couple KTM's, bunch of Hondas, Aprilia and even a Beemer, had Duc's in the past so no stranger to Italian bikes but new to the Husky brand

Long story short, I picked up this 2006 TE610 from a friend of mine, the plan is to ride it to Newfoundland and Labrador this summer (leaving end of June) and that leaves me with maybe 8 weeks to make in roadworthy and reliable.

I have other bikes that are capable of making the trip, why this one? Sentimental reasons, belonged to a friend...

Anyway, here's what I found:
    Starts and runs, makes lot's of lose, probably not any more than my KTM 640
    Coolant is low, Vapor gauge showing 240F with fan running (manual switch)
    bike was very low on oil, less than a quart left.
    Magnet on a drain plug has lot's of sludge
    Oil filter has many metal particles between the pleats, also timing chain is gone: CCT is out 10+ clicks, chain grinding on reed.
    Motor has been apart at least twice, once for the shifting issue (stuck in 2nd) second time oil leak from the cylinder base gasket.
    Forks are leaking, one missing an air bleeder, assume it's full of water and dirt, so probably need to replace bushings...
    some other minor stuff like melted hoses near the header (bolts missing from the exhaust flange) few stuck bolts elsewhere.

I will be away next week but would like to get a jumpstart on the parts chase, owning a Ducati has taught me a lesson that parts availability is never guaranteed

Thanks in advance, promise to post some pretty pictures if I ever get going on this trip

20170501_103057.jpg 20170504_124623.jpg 20170504_124642.jpg
  2. mtne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE610 + 08'TE610 sumo'd
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950SE
    Hey Dmitry, this shouldn't be too hard if the parts are available. I just passed my 610 to ChickenHawk to put together for me so he can ride it........ He's still looking for a 610/630 but in the meantime he'll use mine.......... Hopefully others will chime in to help once you get it opened up.
    MATPOC likes this.
  3. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    I sent parts inquiry to Hall's, reply within the hour with parts list, prices, all in stock!
    One thing I'm concerned about is oil consumption, cylinder is plated, piston kit is $400...

Will dig in to it once I'm back from the Smokies.
  4. koth442 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FJ-09
    MotoExotica has always had the parts I need or know which parts will fit. Also a wealth of knowledge about the 610 if you just want to chat.

http://www.motoxotica.com/
    kwb377, MATPOC and KayDubbya like this.
  5. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    Question to Mods:
    How long before I can post WITHOUT mod's approval?
    My first post and personal knowledge of forum members (mtne) is not enough to prove that I'm not a spambot?!
  6. mtne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950SE
    Just keep posting things and you'll get cleared eventually. Looks like Jason picked up an 08'610 tonight. Amazingly enough it has all of 1024 miles and is mostly stock........
  7. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many

Seems somewhat typical for an obscure brand, bought a tay, lost interest... 10 years later cleaning garage...
  8. mtne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950SE
    Actually, the guy that had it........... had sold me my spare back when my first 610 had been stolen. He found a pristine bike last year and had to have it, then realized it wasn't getting used and listed it......
  9. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    someone have to had stored it nearly a decade... love those guys!
    Picked up my 640 when it was 10 years old with 5K on the clock, cheap money and lot's of life left
  10. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    Finally had some time to work on the bike last night, it's a mess... bolts missing or loose, wrong hardware everywhere, some melted hoses (most notably coolant overflow tube) almost no coolant in the bike, what's left in it is just rust and water, carb has 2 miles of tubing attached to the vents and it's all looped, which seems wrong, but I never worked on one of those so I can't say for sure, carb seem similar to 4 stroke KTM's, also 2 miles of wiring looped in to a rats nest...

Piston seems fine, cylinder bore looks clean, ring end gap looks tight, but I will measure it now that I found specs.

Someone misaligned timing gear for the balance shaft, off one tooth so I don't think it would have been very noticeable but I will fix it.

Timing guide seems twisted (seems because I never seen a new one)

Also clutch basket missing one tab, someone was trying to hold it in pace? probably same shop that missed a gear alignment marks

Forks are apart and need bushings, other than that better than I expected (after running with missing bleeder)

Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 7.51.13 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 7.50.56 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 7.50.39 AM.png

Attached Files:

DYNOBOB likes this.
  11. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    Parts are on the way, should be an interesting week trying to get it built back up.

Meanwhile everything that can be removed is being removed and cleaned, either in solvent parts washer or my 40 gallon sonic tank.

18813688_747581562080572_7681759202448100643_n.jpg 18838924_747581578747237_7367952927825619984_n (1).jpg
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  12. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    Been a member for over a month, CLEARLY not a spambot, why do I still need to wait for approval? Member of several bike specific forums, this is the ONLY ONE that requires approval after first post
  13. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Nice rebuild thread :popcorn: This thread might go some ways to explaining the issues youre having - http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/what-is-wrong-with-this-forum.86926/ Its a bit ironic that your avatar picture is a coffee
  14. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many

Had no idea about missing Coffee/owner... not gonna complain since there seems to be no current remedy.

While waiting for parts I have taken it down to bear frame and started assembly process, parts are due in tomorrow (Wednesday) morning (actually today since I'm up past midnight) can hardly wait!

I was scheduled for Jury Duty at District court and last minute it was cancelled, still went to work and tried "working" didn't take long before I was back in the BatCave tinkering with Husky. Got some real work done as well, but nowhere near my usual productivity. Once i get in to something, like this build, seems I can go round the clock till its finished, sadly if the project sucks I can't stay focused on it for more than a minute, and I have few of those, it's called a "JOB"

18922489_750636378441757_7262483488569248491_o.jpg

Subframe was removed and some hardware issues updated (wrong size bolts, spacers in wrong spot)

Triple tree bearings got washed, repacked and reinstalled, last thing I was working on was a rats nest of wiring behind the headlight, many redundant wires added on over time and just bunched up together. Vapor gauge, heated grips, cooling fan bypass... shortening some, eliminating others, replacing crimp with solder and heat shrink.

Tomorrow probably get started on the motor build, still need to pull flywheel (tool coming) then have a final look inside and start working on re-assembly....

I have ambitious plan on having it ready for the following weekend...
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  15. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    Can't edit my posts, just spotted spelling errors (bear->bare) is there a button for that?
    Also can't "start conversations" assuming it's something you can fix? Mainly "conversations" not spelling :)
  16. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    Flywheel puller came in today with a bunch of other stuff from Halls, got to say it's the most impressive parts-shopping experience I had to date, quick response, almost everything in stock and parts guy (Raymond) knows the bike! Probably the best service I ever got in my 25 years of wrenching.

Finally I was able to get the flywheel off... aaaand found more bodgery: cracked starter support housing, that piece with a hole for a starter, someone did not bother aligning starter gears and just cranked the screws, can see gear teeth impressions in the casting. Luckily I found a used on on evilBay, should be here in few days.

Meanwhile valves got lapped, new valve seals, head assembled, cylinder and head are back on, new chain, new water pump seal, could not find any thread-lock so I left rocker box off for now and did some other stuff: suspension components got washed/greased/replaced .... .

19021406_751350468370348_285848665_n.jpg
  17. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Don't give up on posting. I'm enjoying this project of yours!
    Thumperama likes this.
  18. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
  19. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    Gas tank is here!! And more gifts from Halls, few more orders and I will have enough tees to start a Husky clothing store :)

19024966_752548688250526_6586167061605678503_o.jpg 18954839_752552014916860_7854062242270470638_o.jpg
  20. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    overlaid the new and old timing chain guides, seems "someone" jammed the tensioner back in without backing it out first...

18952875_752843541554374_686651885110321855_n.jpg