New FI tuner on my SM 630

Discussion in '610/630' started by husky666, May 18, 2011.

1. rocko Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630 SMS
    Other Motorcycles:
    SV650
    Brutha,

You said when you richened your green/blue it made on/off throttle response much smoother.
    How high is your green/blue setting compared to your green setting?

I set my green blue setting to 1 full step higher than my green setting and my bike is still pretty jerky during on/off throttle transitions.

Ketek,

When you were on the dyno could you see at about what RPM red kicks in? My bike pulls stupid hard from about 4 to 6k RPM but then loses steam. I figure this is when I get to the red zone...

rjdenya,

I calculated it out and I have more than twice the throttle body size. But as you pointed out perhaps placement of the holes is more critical.

Just for everyone's info, if you ignore the snorkel hole, if you drill six 3/4" holes that is about equivalent in area to a circle with 45mm diameter.

I'm going to put take apart my bike and put the unit on my handlebars so I hopefully I will have some good numbers in a few hours :D
  2. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

No sorry didn't look at the Power Surge.
  3. kingmoochr Husqvarna
    B Class

timing really plays the biggest role in what quality of gas you can/need to run. i guess if JD says you can't hurt the bike going full rich or lean with his tuner, there isn't a lot to worry about, just be on the lookout for pinging while playing around. lesser quality gas may mean richer requirements.
  4. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    My JD Settings are:
    Green - 4/5
    Yellow - 5 (have not experimented with this zone at all)
    Red - 6 (very little experimenting done here)
    Green/Blue - 4
    Yellow/Blue - 4/5 ( too high, should be max 3)
    Red/Blue - 6

Other relevent information is:
    PU Kit Yes
    ECU European
    Altitude above sea level: 1600 metres.
    Average Winter temperature: 14 degrees Celsius
    Winter Humidity: zero
    Average Summer temperature: 24 degrees Celsius
    Summer Humidity: low
    Fuel grade: 95 RON
  5. rocko Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630 SMS
    Other Motorcycles:
    SV650
    So I tried Ketek's settings since he has been on a dyno, and they were an improvement but I added fuel in the red zone to see if I could get more power and I did :D

I might be able to get more power if I open my airbox more; I'd be interested to know the throttle body size and the size/number of holes in the eddy seel replica bike's airbox to see what throttle body size/intake holes size ratio they went with.

Mods:
    ECU - USA SMS
    Airbox - maze removed, snorkel removed, 3 square inches of holes drilled
    Power Up - yes
    Lambda Sensor - no
    Exhaust - Leo Vince full system
    Elevation - 100 m above sea level
    Average Summer Temp - 75F/24C
    Average Winter Temp - 50F/10C
    Fuel Grade - 91 Octane

JD Settings:
    G - 4
    Y - 5/6
    R - 6 (going up to 6/7 didn't seem to improve things)
    GB - 3/4
    YB - 2
    RB - 8
  6. MrClean Husqvarna
    AA Class

I tried not to stray too far away from how JD had the tuner setup. Except for the red/blue setting. That's the critical one for curing the SM's lazy throttle response.

Strange... my bike is the first I've seen that was a bit too rich right off idle. Maybe the dealer over-tweaked the settings in ibeat when the power up was done. Who knows?

I'm starting to think that the over-rich setting just off idle was contributing to the "lugging" feeling that the bike had to begin with. Now, with just the smallest twist of the throttle, the bike will jump off the line. Before, it would not respond aggressively at all. I'll bet I can go back to 14/38 gearing from the 14/40 I'm running now and not be disappointed at lower speeds...

Mods:
    ECU - USA SMS
    Airbox - maze removed, snorkel removed, 4 holes drilled
    Power Up - yes
    Lambda Sensor - no
    Exhaust - Stock
    Elevation - 3500 feet above sea level
    Fuel Grade - 91 Octane

JD Settings:
    G - 2/3
    Y - 4
    R - 4/5
    GB - 3/4
    YB - 4
    RB - 8
  7. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had some lugging when driving in traffic now. After lowering the green setting again it got better. 4/5 was too much I guess...
  8. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    This is where I ended up, except I'm at 6/7 on the Red because I've opened up the mufflers to flow-throughs.

USA SMS ECU
    PU
    Airbox maze and snorkel removed, added 5 1" holes
    Flow-through mufflers with ~1.7" exits
    1000-3000ft above SL (depending on where I go riding)
    93 Octane (BP or Mobil only)
  9. husky666 Mini-Sponsor

I adjusted the red zone first and I think it showed the biggest improvement in power. The other zones I changed gradually until the hesitations went away. It runs great now with the same mods as above.

G-4
    Y-5
    R-6
    GB-5
    YB-5
    RB-6
  10. Justang Husqvarna
    C Class

After buying my SM630 I really haven't been impressed. I deporked the bike of all excess weight, drilled holes in the air box (10, 1" circles) and did the power up mod. Other than running better and a little more power, I wasn't really impressed. I saw this thread and decided to give the JD a shot. Amazing. First time I ever pulled a wheelie on this bike. It runs so much better and pulls through the entire tach!!!

My settings:
    G - 4
    Y - 5/6
    R - 6
    GB - 3/4
    YB - 2
    RB - 8

Plan to play a little more with it.
    Exhaust should be here this week and I'm going to drop a tooth in the front sprocket.

This is a great product!
  11. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250i & 701 Enduro, 501 & 630 sold
    Hi All,

My JD kit arrived today so I need to start thinking about initial settings. This thread provides excellent information but I wouldn't mind knowing whether these are still the settings you are running.

As far as I can see 8 members have provided their settings, with the ranges being:
    G 2/3 to 4/5, most common 4
    Y 4 to 7, most common 5/6
    R 4/5 to 6/7, most common 6
    GB 3/4 to 5, most common 3/4
    YB 2 to 5, most common 2, but the rest all between 4 & 5
    RB 6 to 8, most common 8

YB seems to be the setting with the largest variance - any idea why?

My bike is a TE, Arrow pipes & ECU with standard air box for now. I might start with the most common settings above and go from there, unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Thanks,
    Russ
  12. rocko Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630 SMS
    Other Motorcycles:
    SV650
    The YB changes when the JD unit goes from G to Y. If you have it on 1, you will basically shrink the time the unit is in G so it will go from GB (idle) straight to Y. Or if you have it on 8 you will make the time the unit is in G mode longer and so the unit will go straight from G to R.

If you don't understand what I'm saying there is a good picture of it on the last page of the instructions for the JD unit.

I mounted my JD unit right on the handlebars; this allows you to see exactly what the JD unit is doing at a given time and will help you see when it transitions through the various modes.
  13. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Green (low range), 3/4
    Yellow (mid range), 4
    Red (top end), 3
    Green/Blue (idle), 3/4
    Yellow/Blue (green-yellow transition), 4
    Red/Blue (accelerator), 4/5

2011 TE630 w/these mods:
    • PU kit
    • airbox labyrinth removed
    • Leo Vince full system
    The settings I have are what was pre-programmed from the factory. I want to tweak them; I just haven't had time. Based on what I've read here, I should probably start by turning Yellow/Blue down some and Red/Blue up some, huh?
    I also have the EHS pre-filter kit that I haven't installed yet, which will probably mean adding some more fuel. Maybe a little more Red?
    [IMG]
    Thoughts?
  14. ContraHusky Husqvarna
    A Class

Maybe, maybe not. The motor can only ingest so much air (40 L/s at 8000rpms)...once it's getting however much it can use, making more available won't do a thing. And even if it can use more, it's only at wide-open throttle, max work load, and max RPM that you get more horsepower.
  15. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

If you are tuning with the JD in 40 to 50 degree temps you will require a slightly richer setting than during the summer at 80 degrees. In addition elevation has an impact so you have to realize that others that posted settings may be at different elevations and temp ranges, all of which impact your tuning.

Without the EHS I'd try it with the JD set as delivered and then go up to 3/4 on red. Then try 4 on red.

Are you running a sparky in your Leo? This will also impact your settings.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    the EFI is temp compensating and still will be with the JD.
  17. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Do you know where the sensor is located and if it measures outside air temp or the temp of air in the intake tract?
  18. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Spark arrestor, yes. Db killer, no.
  19. ContraHusky Husqvarna
    A Class

Question for those with the JD mounted where you can see it...

What zone is the bike in at steady highway speed...say, 65-70mph? Green, Yellow, Red...?
  20. rocko Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630 SMS
    Other Motorcycles:
    SV650
    Depends on throttle position and RPM. If you are cruising at a steady throttle opening at that speed it will most likely be in green but will change to yellow pretty quickly if you open the throttle up further. But of course this is how it is with my Y/B setting.

There really is no substitute for being able to see it in real time as you ride...I highly recommend mounting it on the bars. The unit is weatherproof according to JD himself.

Plus it's pretty cool to see the LEDs sweep from left to right on startup at night time....kinda knightrider-ish! :D