New FI tuner on my SM 630

Discussion in '610/630' started by husky666, May 18, 2011.

1. husky666 Mini-Sponsor

After a lot of changes and modifications I finally got my 630 running excellent. First I did the power up kit just so the bike would run. I tried a few exhaust systems dual and single, MRD, FMF and Leo Vince, (the Leo single being the best). I made some mild airbox mods and finally decided on a FI tuner by JD Jetting. There wasn't a listing for the 630 so I called James and we concluded the 630 should be the same as the 450/510 that he has available. It came with settings that he installed for my bike and so far I left them alone because it runs so much better that I don't have the need to change anything. This tuner is simple to use, there is no computer necessary and you can make adjustments on your ride. The airbox mods I made work excellent while keeping the integrety of the lid in tackt. I got great air flow by adding 2 1" diameter holes in the bottom and 2 in the front edge of the lid and then adding some screen behind them to keep debris out. Then a couple more 1.5" holes next to the stock one behind the side cover so they would not be visible. By not cutting the sides out you maintain the all the ribs that keep the air gap between the element and the cover plus washing your bike is easier.

tune1.JPG tune2.JPG tune3.JPG tune4.JPG tune5.JPG
  2. robertk61 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250
    I pick up my JD Jetting kit for my 2011 TE310 on Saturday. Is it easy to use, and did you get immediate improvement from it?
  3. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That sounds VERY interesting ... thanx greatly!

Could you post up a link?
  4. husky666 Mini-Sponsor

Yes, It runs better right away. Every aspect can be adjusted, it idles better, revs smoother, and transitions flawlessly through the entire rpm range. My bike always stumbled between 5-6000 and 7-8000 rpm but no more, it's totally smooth. The unit is plug and play, and like I said, I haven't even touched the adjustments out of the box. It really takes the fear out of FI tuning and puts it in terms similar to carb adjusting. I was getting ready to pay someone $600 to dyno my bike and 'create a map' that would solve my problem but then I still would not know how it worked or be able to change it. Call James and have your questions answered. :cheers:

http://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/product.php?productid=122&cat=8&page=1
  5. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thanx for the link 666.You´ve given a good description of my problem ... I´m clueless.I´ve got the pu kit and am entirely satisfied with performance. But I definitely need to reduce power in winter, wet weather, snow and ice. So how easy is it to "... adjust at track or off road." And does it include simple and detailed instruction as to how and where to plug it into the 630 system? (It sound too good to be true)
  6. robertk61 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250
    Put mine on the bike today and put in the recommened settings, seems crisper already, going for a ride tomorrow and will let you know the results
  7. robertk61 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250
    Well I tested it out today and almost the same as HUSKY666 says, smoother, easier starting, better idling, no flat spots through the range now and seems more "linear" through the range, I would say 2-3 more HP, best money I have spent on the bike yet.
  8. robertk61 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250
    Easy as to fit-just 2 plugs and an earth wire, very easy to adjust (if you know how a carby works, you can use the same principles, and it comes with comprehensive instructions)
  9. husky666 Mini-Sponsor

The power up kit helps but it does not solve the problem, basically the bike is jetted wrong and thats what this will fix. I had to remove the tank to access the the plug but that was all,simply plug and play. There is a ground that you connect but that is simple too. You can adjust it with the push of a button but only after learning how it works and to be honest you probably won't bother, it will be so much better you'll be amazed.
    organ donor likes this.
  10. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    WE sell the flaps for about $19.95 I think,it really cleans it up.We are doing a 125 /150 mile road trip in a minute to a Vintage bike show at Benton county fairgrounds on the 630 and my new Te449,I went from 51t down to 40T on the rear .It pulls easy from a stop.Gas mileage should be interesting.The 630 looks lower but sure if it is really,I have more 630s coming in next weeek will have to measure them.Ill keep posting as the SM511 and Te630 project s continue,.BILLf>Thanks for the info on the 630 above.
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I almost headed down to that with a friend Bill. He bought a sweet Guzzi and wanted to go but we bailed last minute. Was it good?
  12. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    The show was great as usual,threat of rain made for alot less show bikes,but there were some sweet rides.I took about 25 pics,Ill post them on the web site for viewing.40T is a bit much for the 449 ,a 42 or 44 would let me pull 6th at 65 easy.40t makes 6th a 65mph plus gear,havent measured fuel yet but looks like the bottom tank is full after 80miles at 55-70mph riding.Its smoother than I thought it would be and pulls along nice at 65mph.
    germanpilot64 likes this.
  13. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Very grateful for the advice.

Have now got and installed the JDjetting Power Surge6X. If I can do it, anyone can! The lights flicker and the engine sounds ok, so it works. Haven´t been out with it connected yet but I can already state with confidence that installation is no great problem and it is also easy to set and check.

(630SM with twin Arrows and p/u kit)
  14. husky666 Mini-Sponsor

Have you made any changes yet? The first 3 modes are the main ones that you'll notice, green yellow and red. I settled with green 4,yellow 4, and red 6. Each # for example, changing from 3 to 4 is a 5% increace of fuel. The red mode (main jet) was set at 3 and I bumped it one # on each ride and it continued to pull harder on top every time. Now I settled at 6 so that was a 15% increace in the main jet. Be sure to remove the baffle in the air box and add a few holes somewhere. Keep in mind you can give a little more to an SM than a TE because of the different riding style. It's amazing how simple it is to adjust fuel injection.
  15. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Took it out on the German Autobahn today but didn´t change the factory settings. It seemed a bit smoother from lower gears upward. Think I´ll try your settings next. Haven´t got the maze in my airbox lid. The thing really is simple to adjust (and install). Was thinking of posting some pics of where the plug goes as the instruction leaflet wasn´t for the 630.
  16. rocko Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630 SMS
    Other Motorcycles:
    SV650
    This sounds really cool, especially the price!

So there are three modes and it sounds like these emulate the jets....but a bike has only 2 jets. So what does the third mode emulate? The needle?

And where do you buy the screen and how do you secure it? Did you do anything to the stock tube that the stock airbox breathes through?
  17. rocko Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630 SMS
    Other Motorcycles:
    SV650
  18. husky666 Mini-Sponsor

There are 6 modes that you can adjust. They all come set close enough, I was only referring to the main ones that I experimented with. I modified the airbox lid by putting some holes in the front and bottom edge of it and a couple around the stock opening. You can see that in the pictures I posted. Just use silicone around the openings and press some screen material into it. You should be able to find some steel screen at the local hardware store.
  19. rocko Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630 SMS
    Other Motorcycles:
    SV650
    If I roll off the throttle and roll back on when the engine is at anything lower than 3000 rpm, my bike really shudders until it gets to above 3000 rpm. Is this something that can be fixed or minimized if I buy the JD unit, or is it something that is just a characteristic of the motor?

My only other bike was a v-twin so maybe i'm just used to a more balanced engine. [IMG]
  20. rjdenya Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    05' Honda CR250R
    I have the JD tuning device and couldn't be happier with it. Open up the air box and add fuel in yellow (mid) and red (high) if you want a serious mid range rush. As husky666 suggested try adding fuel and then test riding. It's very simple to try different settings. Worst case you end up too rich and can back off a bit. You'll know when it's too rich because the engine will stop increasing power and or start losing some.

Organ donor, you have the twin Arrows which flow the exhaust nice. Adding fuel is just part of the equation. Give her some more air man!! [IMG]
    Our bikes have a 45mm throttle body so try for a minimum of 2 times that size in the air box opening. I'd say even more because the stock air box opening isn't lined up with the throttle body inlet. The best part is adding air flow only requires a drill and 3/4 spade bit. You won't need to buy anything more. If you end up in very rainy conditions just tape up the holes. I drilled all my holes behind the side panel similar to husky666. Remove the air box cover and drill from the inside. This way you can avoid disrupting the air filter support tabs.

Good luck!

[IMG]