New 2011 SMS 630 owner here...

Discussion in '610/630' started by NorCalAthlete, Mar 24, 2014.

1. NorCalAthlete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 630 SMS
    FUCK YEAH GERMANY !

*ahem*

So, ordered the Acerbis Supermoto X-strong handguards + triple tree mount kit along with the ASV levers. Looks like there's only a couple other companies out there that make shorty adjustable levers, and they're damn near as expensive as ASV and don't have as good of a warranty so I said fuck it and ordered the ASVs. Will be ordering a JD Tuner from MotoXotica as well, and still have to figure out exactly what LED strips to buy and how to mount them as blinkers for the front.
  2. NorCalAthlete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 630 SMS
    And of course, I'll be taking some good before/after pics of each step of the process. If I remember to. Gonna be working on the bike at my old roommate's place and good German beer will definitely be involved.
  3. LAHuskyrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    1983 Maico 490, 2013 KTM 300 XC-W
    Have you considered a PCV instead of a JD Tuner? Nothing against the JD as I have one on my 310 and it works well but I have a PCV on my 630 and loaded ZipTy's 630 map and it runs very well.
  4. NorCalAthlete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 630 SMS
    JD Power Surge = $209.99
    Power Commander V = $379.99 ($282 on Amazon, but not sure on reliability of seller with the correct part number)

Anyone else have a 630 with the FMF Factory 4.1 and care to comment?
  5. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I´d need a `puter for the Power Commander and I´ve only got a MAC, so there was no real choice. Am happy with the JD.
  6. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S

For $150 you can own iBeat. You can adjust fuel and pull/diagnose codes also. Better deal IMO than JD or PCV. It does require a 32bit windows computer.

Fast1 likes this.
  7. NorCalAthlete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 630 SMS
    iBeat, from the general consensus I've gleaned from this forum, does not have the range of adjustability JD or PC have, and the JD is easier to adjust on the fly if need be. iBeat needs to be plugged into a computer to tune, JD doesn't. I dunno just seems to be simpler to use + greater range to be able to smooth things out through.

Only question after I do all that is what to do about the airbox. Also, Cycle Gear called and said the ASVs won't be here for another couple weeks, so I guess the only thing going on anytime soon is the exhaust.
  8. NorCalAthlete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 630 SMS
    Besides, $209 shipped including an extra oil filter ain't a bad deal at all for a JD tuner :D (just ordered)
  9. NorCalAthlete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 630 SMS
    FMF Factory 4.1, JD Power Surge tuner, Seat Concepts seat installed today. Holy shit does that pipe and tuner make a difference! My bike sounds straight PISSED and NASTY! I love it! And good god is that factory mid pipe + twins heavy. Hell, even the heat shields feel like bricks! Not sure how well the FMF heat shields will work, but they're a lot lighter for sure.

I didn't have the rear bracket I wanted to make turn out as well as I wanted so I'm going to be hitting up a machinist buddy to see if he doesn't have some scrap metal around I can work with. I want something sturdy to hold the license plate. I was going to go the U bracket route like loften did in this THREAD, but it didn't turn out quite right. Didn't take the time to line it up or measure properly plus didn't have anything but my hands to bend the metal.
  10. NorCalAthlete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 630 SMS
    Ok, took it for a nice ~1.5 hour ride through the twisties yesterday.

Some more questions on tuning/PU kit stuff:
    1. Any issue with just having the O2 sensor unplugged from the harness but still plugged into the mid pipe?
    2. Bike surges at mid/low throttle after downshifting and holding through turns, occasionally but rarely pops on hard decel, and when blipping in neutral at a standstill I can hear a bit of a whining/squeaking/squealing noise when the revs are coming back down. Sort of sounds like wind being sucked through somewhere. I took the snorkel off but forgot to take the whole air box cover off and remove the "maze" if it has it.

JD tuner settings are at the "recommended" for this bike, but will need tweaking obviously.
    Green- 3/4
    Yellow- 4
    Red - 3
    Green/blue- 3/4
    Yellow/blue- 4
    Red/blue- 4/5

Given what I described above, factor in the FMF Factory 4.1 pipe, and I weigh 180+ with gear, what do you guys think?
  11. NorCalAthlete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 630 SMS
    The results of this thread...debating on whether or not to remove the 630 emblem from the sides still, and do something about the blinkers - the ones I got didn't fit well in the rear and the front ones still bug me a bit.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    DYNOBOB likes this.