New 2011 SMS 630 owner here...

Discussion in '610/630' started by NorCalAthlete, Mar 24, 2014.

1. NorCalAthlete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 630 SMS
    :D Got some brap to replace my GSXR after it was stolen. Let the fun begin...found a 2011 with 600 (no, that's not a typo) miles on it on SMJ and drove from northern california to southern california to pick it up. It's bone stock, so now I'm hunting for mods..

1. Power up kit. I've heard this can be had from dealers, but some say it's supposed to come with the bike and others say the dealer sells it separate. Bike bogs down in the upper 3rd of the powerband, idles high, occasionally stalls if not completely warmed up and you clutch in at a stop sign. Swapped all the fluids and oil filter yesterday as it'd been sitting for 2 years (60 miles put on it between July 2012 and a few weeks ago when I purchased it). Helped a bit, but kit still seems to be needed. Sources for one? There seem to be a couple different kits as well and I'm not sure which one to purchase. Also, would it be worth waiting till I get the exhaust and do it all in one go? I can't justify the expense for a full exhaust system at the moment so I'm just trying to worry about the smaller mods.

2. Crash/brush guards and levers. I bought some Acerbis pro x guards but the stock levers are too long...so now I'm looking for levers. I have 30 days to return the guards to Cycle Gear. Thoughts? Options? ASV doesn't appear to make levers for the 2011 630, though a couple people apparently got some combo to work. Not sure I want to go that route - or if it's worth it since the reason to buy ASVs is their warranty for breaking if you crash. If I'm putting the Acerbis or similar guards on anyway...buy the cheapest decent functional shorty levers I can? Options? Sources?

3. Mirrors. I like the look of the stock Aprilia SXV mirrors. The angled look. Hate the boxy DRZ style square mirrors that come on the Husky 630. Any other options for similar besides scouring flea-bay and craigslist for someone getting rid of their SXV mirrors?

I think that's about it to start off with...just rolled over 1,000 miles this weekend :P ~400 miles in 2-3 weeks (with a full school/work schedule) ain't bad. More fun to come as I continue to mod though...
  2. NorCalAthlete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 630 SMS
    Don't know how to edit that first post...but...

edit - apparently, the ASV Clutch lever part #CDC602 and the ASV Brake lever part #BRC555 work perfectly for the Husky 630. That gets me thinking though - ASV does not list those levers as being designed or made for the Husky 630, but ASV reps have confirmed that combination works and multiple people on the CH forum have ordered them. So if one manufacturer's levers that aren't designed for the Husky works...shouldn't any other similarly designed lever work as well? In other words, the ASV clutch lever is designed for KTMs, and the brake lever for Ducati/Aprilias. (Specifically, a wide range of KTMs but including the '08/'09 690 and 990, and a wide variety of '99-'08 Ducatis and '99-'03 Aprilia Milles) So if I find other manufacturers that DO make levers for those specific KTMs and Ducati/Aprilias...it should also work on the Husky 630 right? Just exploring options here.
  3. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

The best thing you can do immediately is to purchase the power up plug and ensure the air box labyrinth is removed from under the foam air cleaner. The power up plug can be purchased from Halls Husky or other Husky dealers. I believe it is less than $50.

This will cure everything you posted in item #1.
  4. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Power up from Halls, get it to your nearest dealer with I-beat to tweak the base fuel settings when you get a chance.
    The JD Jetting (or similar) tuner lets you make changes on the fly until you find the sweet spot.

I just chopped my stock levers shorter to clear my MSR/Zeta guards, I don't feel the need for a ball-end lever if I've got handguards.

As for mirrors, I ditched the high mirrors and threw on a couple 3" rounds inside the grips. I always do a head check anyway, but with this setup my only blind spot is directly behind me, and a small shift can let me see that. You can get the same set of "bar end" mirrors from Amazon for under $20.

[IMG]
  5. LAHuskyrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    1983 Maico 490, 2013 KTM 300 XC-W
    I bought a 2011 TE630 in Jan and converted to motard. It already had the power up plug and rat maze in the airbox removed, but was bone stock otherwise. I added an FMF Powercore 4(was $477 on ebay). This saved a bunch of weight over the stock dual cans, has a nice throaty thumper sound, and IMO looks cleaner. I am not a fan of the dual cans on a motard, again my opinion. There are also threads here that show how to gut the stock cans for more flow.

I also added a PCV and ZipTy has generously provided their PCV maps to CH forum. Ty's 630 race map is awesome. Bike runs smoothly, revs quicker and harder, and runs cooler to me. I have the map switch and have Dynojet's open pipe map loaded in position 2 and the ZipTy map is noticably stronger.

One other observation about the 630 is how balanced the bike feels at extremely slow speeds. When I come to a stop at a light, I swear I can sit there balanced with both feet on the pegs for a few seconds. Don't know if that is b/c if the gyroscopic affect of the big single or what(first big thumper I have owned).
  6. mtne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE610 + 08'TE610 sumo'd
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950SE
    If you're planning on running barkbusters I like the mirrors that go with the HDB handguards. Small, folding and actually better than most of the sportbike mirrors I've had.
  7. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda VFR800, KTM 525 EXC
    Welcome to Cafe Husky, glad you found your way here :)

For handguard/mirror I like my HDB set up, it's a bit more spendy but if you are going to replace the mirrors w/ SXV version maybe the total cost comes out the same.

Here you can see the mirrors out:

[IMG]

And they fold in nicely when you don't want them sticking out:

[IMG]

And you save $25 if you only need mirrors on one side :D

http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/
  8. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Those mirrors wouldn´t last long on my bike. It drops regularly. Have just broken one of the trashy Husky hand guards when it dropped off the stand. `Tis a HEAVY bike and turns like an ocean going oil tanker.
  9. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've got the same mirrors and they just fold in when/if the bike hits the dirt. And if for some reason you did break one they are relatively cheap to replace.
  10. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS

Cheaper than $12 a pair from Amazon? :p

[IMG]
  11. NorCalAthlete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 630 SMS
    Dealer contacted. Moore + Sons in Santa Cruz, CA. Tom said he's familiar with the recall services but seemed doubtful they hadn't been taken care of already. I explained the bike had not been ridden much by the previous owner, and he'd only had the 500 mile break in service done to it and then garaged it for 2 years till now. He requested the VIN and my contact info along with the info for the dealer that sold the bike and the shop that did the first service (3 brothers offroad racing in costa mesa, and long beach BMW / Husky respectively). I provided all this with my contact info and he said he'd get back to me. Asked him about the powerup kit as well and he said "that voids your warranty, but I guess there's no more warranty anyway by now." Told him I had the extended service contract from Western Service and he said "oh yeah, they're really good". Not sure if that means it'll void THEIR contract if I install the powerup kit. I was under the impression that as it was a dealer-offered upgrade, it would not void the warranty.

As for the mirrors, someone may have an old set from their SXV they'll be providing me for (hopefully) fairly cheap, they're digging through their garage and going to get back to me...heh. I'm not a big fan of anything that sticks out further than the bars - I live in California where lane splitting/sharing is legal, so anytime I'm riding through traffic it's bad enough as it is on this bike. On my old GSXR, the bars were at a perfect height below the average car mirror and my mirrors were at a height that went above car mirrors but below trucks so lane splitting was fairly easy. With the Husky 630, my bars are *right* at the average car mirror height or sometimes a bit above, and the mirrors are right at the height of truck mirrors. So it takes a lot more maneuvering. The angled SXV mirrors not only look better but adjust the height down to where they'd pass below a truck mirror easier, plus they don't extend as far out to either side as the stock mirrors. I might end up looking at my elbows a bit more but they'd still be more usable than those little round ones imo. Yes, I always do a head check when changing lanes anyway but still. I like to be able to use my mirrors.
  12. NorCalAthlete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 630 SMS
    Tom is attempting to figure out what's going on with the recall services. Apparently Husky told him they wiped the bikes from inventory and aren't servicing them anymore due to new ownership or some crap. He's now trying to get a hold of someone at KTM or whoever. Says he has parts on hand and everything but doesn't want to leave me with the bill for a recall service so he's trying to make sure the shop still gets their cut for the service or whatever. Taking it in next weekend probably one way or the other. SXV mirrors for $30 shipped from a dude on another forum, so that's a start. Just got my tax refund so the power up kit and whatnot may be next...hehehehe.
  13. LAHuskyrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    1983 Maico 490, 2013 KTM 300 XC-W
    PCV w/Zipty's 630 racemap, FMF Powercore 4 slip-on.
  14. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

My dealer installed the power up kit before I left with it upon purchase. Never did I have any problem with any type of warranty or service coverage as a result of the power up.To run the bike without ithe power up kit, IMO, has significantly more potential to cause engine damage from extremely lean fuel metering than installing it.

The only TSB that I'm aware of for the 630 was for a revised clutch push rod on early production models experiencing problems with finding neutral from 1st or 2nd gear at stop. I obtained the push rod under the TSB and just put it in myself without issue.
  15. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    You forgot about the sprocket lock nut TSB, and free replacement.
  16. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

yes you are right.. I still have the package of nyloc nuts sitting in the bag. Never required install on my bike.
  17. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS

I never needed them, but when I swapped on a new sprocket, I went ahead and used them.
  18. NorCalAthlete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 630 SMS
    How long did your sprocket last, just out of curiosity? I'm still waiting to hear back from Tom at the moment. Also debating between buying Zeta hand guards and their built in signals, or the HDB version with the beefier top clamp and wiring/drilling my own custom LED strips.
  19. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    When in doubt go beefier...except when it comes to women...unless you're into that then all good. :thumbsup:
    mekanik, DYNOBOB and LAHuskyrider like this.
  20. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Which sprocket? The factory one was still plenty useable at 11k miles, my first Kush went about 1500 miles last fall, showed a little wear on the bushings, then the first ride of this year it squirted out every single forward bushing, the replacement is holding up fine so far.