1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Need a thread about air cooled 4st stuff

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by silverstreakNZ, Jul 1, 2018.

1. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
  2. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    nope, thats an industrial estate now! i was just behind my house...
    ajcmbrown likes this.
  3. moto_surfer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430XC/ Silver Streak/TE300
    I just picked up this 84 510 tonight. TE? I was told it runs but with my 430 luck I’d crack the case on the first kick. I’m going to do a full inspection before I kick on it. Eager to know what I just got myself into. 6A876DB5-0D24-4BD6-A950-345EF2952F84.jpeg FC26750B-22F0-4941-8F40-BA82FE22C80A.jpeg
    wrx likes this.
  4. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    Jealous . Keen to see how it turns out .
    Check the oil . Then crash start it . That won't break the case
    moto_surfer likes this.
  5. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    clean the carb out, check the cables change the oil, check the tappet clearance, do the air filter, clean the screen filter on the barrel. big issues are the cam chain, worn valves and or worn piston rings / piston / bore. Also the carb slide wears prematurely making it run rich in the low to mid...the bikes vibrate like all hell and wear down the needle so check engine mounts and swingarm tension carefully. i have the service manuals for this model engine in pdf...PM me your email if you want a copy. back check for 510 posts in cafe husky, lots of good info on that year bike. check the state of the main nuts and bolts...axles and chain tensioners etc, they will tell you how much work it has done. the bike I had came apart like it was fully services the day before, axles greased, nuts in good nick, no stripped threads... hopefully yours had descent owners. I couldnt find a twin air filter for the bike (paper element type) so i made a cage and used a foam element that is available. it should start by religiously following the 4 - start ritual...handfull of bones on the fire, a naked midnite dance...just kidding....:D choke on ...kick thru to comp then hit the decomp lever and get it just past tdc then release the lever and give it a serious kick. it should fire ok. if after a few kicks it hasnt started, pull decomp and kick 4 times then start over. if it doesnt go something is wrong... you prob know all this... they are a fair bit of scooter...
    hey it looks like the plastic tank has been replaced by the earlier alloy one...did you get the plastic one with the bike?
  6. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
  7. moto_surfer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thanks suprize! That’s just the kind of info I needed to start tinkering. It came with the original tank, I stuck an aluminum one on there to dress it up a bit. At first glance I see that someone regularly registered the bike with ORV tags indicating that it was ridden a fair bit through the 2000’s. Repairs have been made to the clutch cover. Nothing looks too out of place or monkeyed with. There also seems to be evidence of head service and some homemade gaskets. I’ll report back as I dig deeper.
    wrx likes this.
  8. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    enjoy, they are a unique machine...you planning a resto or a rider??
  9. moto_surfer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    No plan yet. This thing just popped up for sale on Facebook and I scrambled to be first in line. I’d like to get it sorted and ride it before I consider restoring it.
    wrx likes this.
  10. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Has anyone had the four strokes kick back? I sure recall my 1988 back firing and blowing the carb off. If no tools it can be re installed without the clamp. Can not recall it kicking back or kicking it in fear of a kick back. The cases are aluminum and heavier than the two cycle standard shift ones so the case cracking at the intermediate starter shaft may not be significant. I would assume that in 1984 the clutch cover does not have the extra fastner added around 1986 so the clutch cover might be in danger of cracking at the rear locating pin.

Fran
    moto_surfer likes this.
  11. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    there are a bunch of guys here to walk you through the starting procedure. they can be very finicky. but once started they are a ball to ride . gobs of torque and great top end.
    moto_surfer likes this.
  12. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    ol mates 84 was a regular carb relocator if the kick was wimpy.... mine gave a few pumphs but never really backfired. so saying my top end wasnt great and i suspect the timing / cam timing was a tad quiet. they really respond to a cam dial in.
  13. moto_surfer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
  14. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    shes a runner!! bike looks cool too!..its blowing a heap of smoke and rattling like a nudists teeth in the snow! but at least its not a basket case!. nice find...
    moto_surfer likes this.
  15. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Believe it or not, sometimes the motors will reseal and blow less smoke. Who knows what's in there and whether there is any contaminant on the cylinder or valve seats.

You gonna take it for a ride or just post sexy vids?
  16. moto_surfer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Posting a sexy vid got me a sore shoulder from my wife slugging me when she saw it. I think it’s a literal ticking time bomb. It was good to hear it run but it needs lots of love. Torn between selling it or stashing it away. Riding it isn’t an option that I would entertain in its current state.
  17. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    id service the forks and shocks to remove old oil moisture etc then storage proof the motor and then stash it away for a year or two... under cover. unless you need cash then bang on fleabay and stand back....
    moto_surfer likes this.
  18. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    It's rooted . Sell it to me
    moto_surfer and ajcmbrown like this.
  19. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    pull it apart ,inspect it and a few new gaskets wont hurt it or your wallet. it runs and seem to be all there. I'd hang on to it (stash it) . to cool to let go.
    Picklito, ajcmbrown and moto_surfer like this.
  20. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Not a 4-stroke guy, but I'm starting to agree with keeping it. Most of them aren't running anymore and can take a lot of cash to get back to working condition. I say stow it away and think about it for a while. Or, do a casual disassembly, cleaning, inspection, and reassembly. I agree that it shouldn't cost much on such a complete runner.