Kurt Caselli Passes away ..

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Kevin_TE250, Nov 15, 2013.

1. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

There have been thousands of post about this great man on every sight you can think of. Every one who ever met him came away with a story. Over the years of racing in the Desert and the National Hare and hounds I had talked to him and even lined up next to him on the line. It did not matter to him what you rode or how fast you were he always had time for you Here is a esample of how he was When he got back from Dakar and he was out at one of the Nationals I rode up to him and asked how was Dakar? Just think how many people had already asked him that questions. Well he saw I was on a Husky so he started off telling me about the Dakar Husky how fast they were and how hard he had to work to beat them. He was a Factory KTM guy he did not have to talk to me about the Husky But he must have know that for me the story of Dakar would be more interesting if we talked about something I would want to hear That was Kurt the most down to earth guy you had ever met If you never knew him I hope this one esample
    will help you under stand. RIP My friend the world has lost a great man
    BILLF, utopia, Aaron8 and 9 others like this.
  2. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Way cool John... RIP Kurt.
    john01, robertaccio and BILLF like this.
  3. borpa Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC511
    Other Motorcycles:
    TE610, Wr426, Drifter
    No, booby traps at baja are commonly constructed by spectators along the route as obstacles. Its been done for years and will continue to be done. Its part of the race as much as people standing dangerously close trying to get a photo. I hope they do find out who did it but in reality as others have said nothing likely will be done. Senseless tragedy, but a risk that Kurt and every racer is well aware of.
  4. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Statement from Taylor Robert's FB page

I want to make something very clear and stop the rumors. Kurt Caselli did not crash because of a man made booby trap, a spectator, or any other nonsense that people are saying about his accident. My teammate Ricky Brabec was the fist person to Kurt which was in a very secluded area with no Spectators. Ivan Ramirez showed up shortly after Ricky. They decided Ricky would go get help while Ivan stayed with Kurt. Even though the news didn't come out until the night time the accident happened while there was still daylight, and didn't have anything to do with racing at night. This was merely a racing accident and had nothing to do with booby traps, spectators, or another vehicle so please stop spreading rumors.
    Norman Foley, ray_ray, BILLF and 2 others like this.
  5. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    I finally sat down last night after getting home and settled from my race and took a look at my AMA magazine that I just got in the mail a few days ago. There was Caselli on the cover. Crazy.
    Im glad it wasnt a booby trap that claimed his life. I know the Baja spectators do some silly stuff out there. Making makeshift jumps and what not. I think the biggest concern here would be how long was it until he received medical attention. But hey, thats just another component of racing. It is dangerous. Especially Baja. Thats why there are people like Caselli. To thrill Joe Schmoe local racers like me with their bravery, skill, drive, etc.
    As they played the National Anthem yesterday before the race, I wanted to yell out his name. I had hoped someone on the mic would say something about him but they did not. I just lowered my head.
    robertaccio likes this.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Heard about this early on from a friend in the industry. I am still in shock. I did not know this guy other than the legend he is. About 10 years ago I was in inspection line at the Idaho City ISDE, he was the bike ahead of me in line, and like John's experience we had a nice 15 minute conversation while we waited in line. I knew full well who he was but he obviously knew me from no one. Did not matter we carried on like old friends, talking bikes and industry. Frank White from ATK was right behind me and we all had a nice conversation. Left that inspection line thinking what a freaking cool and down to earth dude Kurt is. As most of us have I followed Kurts amazing results and accomplishments. Always looked up to the guy, his amazing talents and just he amazing salt of the earth demeanor even while being near rock star status in the DB world. I had the opportunity to run into Kurt two more times after that. One at a 24 hour race and once at an industry gathering I was at. Always the same Kurt, talking with people he does not know like good old friends. This is so F-ed up. Its really hard when someone obviously so amazing or someone close to us has to go. It does not makes sense and is hard to deal with. This has rocked the industry simply because Kurt, the person, not necessarily the racer (although thats what brought us all to know him), was such an amazing human being. RIP 2 wheeled legend.
  7. TemecuCoastie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FC250 and 2012 TC250
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  9. GMP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    '13 Beta 300RR Racing
    K5PL5,

I raced BSSR in the AM race at Blue Diamond yesterday, and there was a statement and a moment of silence before the national anthem. Hope that makes you feel better.
    robertaccio, K5PL5 and TemecuCoastie like this.
  10. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    Thats good to hear.
    Thanks
  11. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    From fellow competitor (and fast guy)Scott Meyers.

Well I finally made it home from another Baja 1000 Class win and 3rd overall but as much as I try to enjoy it I just can't stop thinking about my Friend that I lost last night Kurt Caselli. It breaks my heart to think that he is gone. I was the Second rider after Ricky Brabec to come along on race course to the scene of the accident but I did not stop. I saw Ivan Ramirez waving his hands to slow d...own along with a Policia with his lights on sitting right in the middle of the road. I had know idea in the world what had actually happen as I was only told that KTM had run out of gas. I see now that KTM posted that he had run into some type of animal and I sit here thinking about the 4 coyotes I almost hit coming through the same section. I even had one try and chase me out of a corner. Kurt was my friend and he was the most talented Offroad rider I've ever known and I am so sad to know he is gone. I have had so so many close calls that I couldn't begin to even count them. Kurt was such a truly awesome guy and so much fun to be around. He will be truly missed by so many and I can only hope for one thing and that is just maybe he is with his father again and he has a big smile on his face. I will miss him.
  12. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Technically, the first person past Kurt was Team Honda. They didn't even bother stop. Gps tracker shows them passing right by Kurt's location and it was a tight section. Sad that winning means more to some people than someone else's safety.

But really, the only real finger I am going to point is at Ricky, who in my heart is a true hero. And this isn't the first time Ricky has stopped for someone in a life threatening situation. He stopped and stayed with another friend of ours for over two hours before they were air lifted out, most likely saving his life. His dad and I are good friends, drinking beer, smoking cigars and look'n at half naked women at the river, I know them well. Ricky is a good rider and a great person, I thank you.

Kurt was a great person, funny. He was from my motorcycle club, the prospectors. He had a partial on his front bridge of teeth and would always mess with people by taking it out and flicker his tongue through it, cracked me up. I remember one time he drained all the gas out of the club member's bikes and went around lighting creosote bushes on fire. I thought it was hilarious. The next time we're out at our old riding hang out, I will burn a creosote bush for Kurt, I'm sure he will be laughing. :)
  13. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    That is such a cool insight Tink...
    I suspect (afraid) there is more intell from the sky, spot etc that will come out though.
    BILLF likes this.
  14. Desertyucca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 & TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    DR650, IT490 a few others.
    FYI Blais racing Post,
    "We are having a "Flashlight Vigil" this Saturday night 6PM for Kurt at the Blais/KTM pit at the 100's National, N. Anderson, Lucerne. No candles in case of wind. Bring your flashlights, your chairs and we will have prayer by Team True and share stories of our Hero! Spread the word!
    Memorial Ride Celebrating the life of Kurt Caselli - After the final checkered flag of the National Youth Hare and Hound, 2PM. Spread the word! #blaisracing #fmf #ktm #nhha "

https://plus.google.com/communities/107335119995003009103?utm_source=chrome_ntp_icon&utm_medium=chrome_app&utm_campaign=chrome
    BILLF and Tinken like this.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    When great people pass you learn a lot about who they were. Kurt seems awesomer with every post and conversation. Truly a great one was lost. Lost my mom last year, knew she was an amazing person and giver but the service we had for her was unbelievable when person after person stood up and spoke about what an amazing person she is. I'm sure praise will be dumped on Kurt for many months. RIP Kurt.
    BILLF and MotoMarc36 like this.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    BILLF and Desertyucca like this.
  17. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Memorial ride@Nationals. Husqvarna Ajax-John is here somewhere!

[IMG]
    [IMG]

[IMG][IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
    My favorite picture. Rest in peace friend.
  18. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Oh and fyi, the Caselli memorial is at Glen Helen this Friday.

http://www.glenhelen.com/2013/11/21/kurt-caselli-memorial-ride/

[IMG]
    K5PL5 and Desertyucca like this.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    was this posted yet?

reveille, trailboss and Xcuvator like this.
  20. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    [IMG]
    BILLF likes this.