KTM / Husky speaks about the future...

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Motosportz, Jul 18, 2014.

1. dcg141 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna only product is coming..believe me it is coming. Takes about 3 years to develop new product. That would make 2017 product year when we see them.
    Motosportz likes this.
  2. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    hope ur right
  3. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    How long did they run Husaberg again? And how different were they from the pumpkins in the end?

I'll believe it when I see it, so far it's all political bullshit.
  4. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Anymore information then that? Everyone always knows someone that knows someone that heard something. Mississippi is pretty far from Austria :)
  5. BadMotoWeazal Husqvarna
    Pro Class

What???? Mississippi is an old Choctaw word for Motorcycle Mecca
    454x and LandofMotards like this.
  6. dcg141 Husqvarna
    AA Class

It is a very long way to Austria. I know that because I was in Mattighofen last year about this time.
  7. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    So what's going to be different? We heard they'd start to separate in 2015 the first time. Hasn't happened. I'm all for false hope but vague comments don't even provide that.
  8. edmoto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLX400SR, XR250R, VOR503, GG XC300e
    Having read several of the comments posted in this forum about all this, I believe I've heard that Husky will be the high end version of KTM's, that Husky will have niche market models where KTM doesn't have a model (specifically motards), and that there will be clear distinctions between Husky and KTM bikes in terms of design and technology. I even got the impressions that with Stephan Pierer (sp) owning Husky as his baby and project through his own company versus his shared ownership of KTM with his Indian partners, he might even take Husky in directions no one had thought of. Perhaps it is still too early to see how this will pan out, but I am becoming a little frustrated with KTM.

What I do know is that Husaberg was an innovator and an interesting four stroke builder since their inception. Their 650 single cylinder race bikes were legendary. But as they became a division of KTM, and later a step child of KTM, all of that uniqueness vanished. For a company at one time offering 8 or more four stroke models with distinct features and characteristics, at the end they had 2 models that were cloned KTM two strokes.

I often wonder what would happen if the 4 Japanese brands decided to reenter the offroad market again. They wouldn't even have to have 20+ models like KTM does. Just imagine a Kawi KDX 250, a Honda new 250X, a Yamaha WR250 smoker, and a Suzy RM300. How much would just those few models erode the KTM dominance of that market segment? If the Japanese made these bikes for the global market (rather than just the expense of one-off versions for the US), I'm sure buyers across the planet would be interested. In that light, it seems clear to me that KTM's success is entirely due to the neglect of the other manufacturers. What would KTM's sales be per annum then? Would they stop acting so "corporately" then and being (in my mind's eye) so smug with their success?

I wonder if all the people who have bought Austrian Husky's are helping or hurting the future of Husky as a distinct brand? I don't take issue with them enjoying their new bikes, but I believe this forum is made up of members wanting to be part of, and supporting, a heritage of Husky design, development, and tradition. To that end, I can only hope the money KTM makes from selling Austrian Husky's does not distract them from the responsibility I believe they owe to an enthusiastic customer base, and to keep that heritage alive and not make Husky another Husaberg. Bear in mind that Husaberg lost their 4 stroke heritage and became a limited model 2 stroke range before Pierer (sp) ever considered Husky as a purchase from BMW.

Patience is a cruel mistress, and the more time KTM manages Husky along the path it seems they are on now, the less the love will flow. Perhaps in 3 years things will be different, but I would argue for things to be different the mindset has to exist to encourage that difference. And I don't believe a mindset of "cross platforming" and "market utilization" and "shared synergistic engineering" bode well for the future most of us are hoping for.
    silverpilen, JonXX, TRIPLE-M and 3 others like this.
  9. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01 WR360_02 WR250_12 WB165_17 FC350
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    Yep, guess I'll just be a Husqagiva nut a while longer! :cheers:
  10. dcg141 Husqvarna
    AA Class

There was no way to get totally new product out that quickly. You have to remember the whole Husqvarna deal happened very quickly and we are just a little over a year into the purchase. BMW is way bigger than KTM and look how long it took them to develop any new product. One of those bikes had a current BMW engine. The only true brand new Husqvarna dirt bike that was developed during that ownership was the 250/310. New bikes are coming. They are in development as we speak.
    LandofMotards and Norman Foley like this.
  11. dcg141 Husqvarna
    AA Class

No one a KTM is smug about success. Everyone knows you have to get up every day in business and work hard to have success. Everyone knows also that the big 4's lack of innovation has helped KTM. But to that end KTM has stepped up and really improved product and taken full advantage of what the marketplace gives them. The thing is so have Ducati, BMW, Triumph and especially Polaris. Polaris is dominating them in the side x side and atv market. All of these companies saw opportunity and took full atvantage of what was happening in the market. That's they way business works.
  12. dcg141 Husqvarna
    AA Class

KTM is a company full of enthusiasts. Everyone in that company loves motorcycles and loves to ride them. The management, the engineers, the sales force, the people that work in the parts warehouse and the dealers. Everybody rides. That is the one thing that separates them from the Japanese companies. I have been a dealer for both and the company cultures could not be any different. The Japanese have enthusiasts within the company, but they don't make many of the decisions. The whole feel of KTM is about riding and making a living doing what we all love. KTM has already embraced Husqvarna's past in the US. They have brought a lot of the former racers back for events and the ads and the office in CA are full of pics from Husqvarna's glory days. KTM has already sold a lot of Husqvarna's. I have a waiting list for 2015 product. There are more Husqvarna's being raced in more events worldwide that any time since the 80's. To that end KTM has a lot going on right. Way more than you can imagine. But they and I as a dealer are really excited about Husqvarna.
  13. dcg141 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I would stay and talk longer, but its Sunday morning and I'm going riding.
    LandofMotards likes this.
  14. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    You left out the racing word ... AS29 contrasted Honda(?) with KTM once ... KTM has the racer VPs .. Honda had the business processes and white collars ..

I'm in the future and just returned from Sunday riding ...Un-Fing believable riding ...again ...

-- bwm did just about nothing for Husky dirt bikes :) ..
  15. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    I'm only quoting this one to get you're attention on the on the alerts, the other posts are some long quotes :)

I'm really not mad about the whole deal, just disappointed (sound like my parents lol). I'm not one of the guys that has seen the transition the several times Husky has been bought. BMW messed up and I already know that. It wouldn't have been sold at a loss if they didn't. I've never even been under the impression that that the BMW bikes were better then KTM's but they were competition. Being mostly a sportbike rider the old Husky's were cool because they were like an affordable Ducati. With that being said, I'd have no problem buying a new TC250 and even love the idea of owning a 2 stroke MX bike. It's something all the euro brands lack except TM. I even really like the TE's mostly because I felt with BMW they weren't doing much with the 250/300. Still great bikes, just needed something newer. I really hope you're right about the 2017 and I understand the whole spiel but they didn't do much for Husaberg except let them live with better looks then a KTM. That's exactly what it seems currently with Husky. I also agree that they are passionate about there products but that's also the issue, they believe they have built the best so how can they steer away from that in the future with two brands?

I'll probably pick up a new TC250 as a do it all bike (2 stroke Supermoto :)). At the same time I'm not some die hard that will hang around for ever. They have to atleast have theirs own feel or there's other passionate euro bikes that can earn my money.

I really wish your atleast tells us any little BS rumors you heard. Like I said, false hope is just as good as the real thing :)
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Hate it all you want, I get it but the 449/511 is much loved by many here as you can see from the posts. Actually so is the TR650. So saying "Nothing" is a little much. Right now we have KTM's which is "nothing" new. Does not really matter to me, I own 9 bikes of varying manufacturers. I like to say "2 wheels and motor, they are all fun"

As for riding, yep rode 54 most excellent miles, logged out some epic trail and had a great time riding with buddy Jake. Funny thing is we both own 3 or more huskys and were both on Yamaha's yesterday and guess what, we had a blast.

[IMG]
  17. BadMotoWeazal Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I love motorsickles.... All flavors too. I haven't owned a HVA dirt bike since 2004, all my off-road since has been in orange. I like them. I also like my SM 610 & I'd love to get a 511 for some dual sporting.
  18. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    Here Here!
    Who gives a damn about what color or brand it is. As long as your out riding and having a good time.. Who goes to the dealer for service anyway with a dirt bike? Certainly not me.

I went riding yesterday with a buddy of mine on his recently purchased older WR450F Yamaha. Myself on my BMW G450X powered currently by myTC449 engine, It runs flawlessly. It might be a BMW but it never had the problems so common on CH that is associated with the 449/511 ECUs. I do now run a PC V for the increased HP with Autotune though and it rips.

This was the first time my buddy and I went riding. He hadn't been on a dirt bike probably for over 12 to 15 years. Literally the day before yesterday. after work Friday was the first time he had ridden this bike up his street. He has 5 discs fused with titanium plates in his lower back and we had a Fricking blast. He can't wait to go again.

I sold him my old race 86' Honda CR500 powered, Honda TRX250R Fourtrax about 20 years ago. It was set up with champion bead locks and Hoosiers for flat track and TTs. He had a few other quads too. Guess how he ended up having 5 discs fused in his back ? Yep your right. That quad did it. The next guy who owned it is still in a wheelchair. The CR 500 Quad is long gone now and we are now both again riding single tracks on 2 wheelers and loving it at 50 plus. I'm 55 and never enjoyed riding in the dirt more than now and I started riding dirt back in 1970. Owned a half dozen + Maico's and a few early Huskies.

Hell, I'm thinking about trading in my 2010 Harley Roadglide Bagger for a 2014 "1190 KTM Adventure R" just to have a change and have the option to go anywhere. I won't be crying about the pumpkin Orange section of the seatcover. I have a new upholstery sewing machine in my living room that can take care of that.

I wouldn't cry over a new FE501 Husky in my garage either and like I said, I'm pretty much an old Maico guy. Maybe I'll wait a few years for that though and see what pans out in 2016 or 17'.

So if you dirt riding Business Executives and Analysts are out riding and you can't clear your thoughts enough over a set of handlebars to stop thinking about SPs business decisions and how many of you are upset about that. You need to go riding some more. Take a few days off and clear your mind.

Stephan Perier is probably doing that right now. I'll bet he doesn't care what color bike he's on either, maybe its a Blue heavily farkled 70 degree Husaberg today out of his personal stash.
  19. dcg141 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm not trying to BS anyone, really I'm not. I know some specifics on future KTM models that is in house but I only know that "stand alone" Husqvarna products are being developed. Rest assured KTM is not waiting to see what the Japanese are going to do. Their plans are to bring new product to the market and stay on the offensive. I love this business but at the end of the day I have to have motorcycles that sell. Right now KTM and Husqvarna's are selling and that's a good thing. I am a dealer for other European dirt bikes and although they are excellent motorcycles they are a uphill sell. That's a reality that I cannot change and if you guys want to see another brand take off you need to vote with your wallets. Believe me when I tell you me and other dealers would love nothing more than to see those bikes sell.
    JonXX, Big Timmy and LandofMotards like this.
  20. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    Great to have a Dealer with an actual inside view of what's going on.

I respect your approach and not giving up or saying you know it all and what's coming until you have the facts.

There's too much damned conjecture coming from too many people on this subject. I'm sure from reading here that nobody so far has been unhappy with their new Husqvarna's. No matter which model. Mostly just whining from those that haven't ridden one "yet". Or don't like the KTMs.

Just like any other bike you will have to set it up to your needs and go out and ride to really know what's up as a customer. Until that's really done you can complain all you want and there's plenty of that. This feedback from the actual weekend warrior customer back to the dealers, holds a lot more weight than the feedback to the Japanese dealerships. So keep your perspective coming "dcg141".