KTM / Husky speaks about the future...

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Motosportz, Jul 18, 2014.

1. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I'm glad to hear that they are supporting trail riding. Yamaha has shown by redesigning their 450 and 250 4t engine that they are still on the move to get an advantage. (compared to BNG and a re-mapping) I figure by the time my WR250 Husky is worn out Yamaha will have a redesigned 2t. Much of KTMs 2 stroke success has come from the Jap brands not doing any real R&D since 2005. At least Yamaha still makes 2ts and they are damn good bikes only because they were so good in 2005. I would buy a 2015 YZ250 before I would buy a KTM or a white KTM/Husky.
  2. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Yeah I couldn't see myself buying a 2015 yz250. There's really no excuse for not putting it in a YZ250f package. If I were in the market for a 2005 that'd be top pick but not at new pricing when KTM has done more then enough throughout the years. If there's any bike in KTM/Husky's lineup that's worthwhile it's the TC/SX 250. The only other modern 250 2 stroke MX bike is TM. Yamaha may still sell two strokes but that doesn't mean they didn't let them die.
  3. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I guess I look at it a little differently than most. As with the WR Husky which was priced so that with the 2K difference I could have the bike where I want with re-valved suspension and all the woods goodies. I'll admit the KTM is more ready out of the crate (skid plate and oversized tank) but still priced at least 1K higher after all the mods are done. I'm not talking MSRP either but what a dealer will actually sell one for. I haven't been in a KTM dealer yet that will even come close to the deals I could get on a Yamaha, Honda, Kaw or pre-KTM Husky. In early 2013 I bought my son's 2011 YZ450 brand new for 5K even, the stock suspension is so good there is no need for a re-valve, leaving at least 3K for mods before it's even money to a stock KTM with the stock PDS suspension. (I'm convinced PDS stands for Pogo Dick Smasher) KTM hasn't changed their design much in the last few years and still haven't addressed problems like they get hot in the tight woods especially when you have to do a lot of clutch work and once they are a year or two old the E-start only works about 1/2 the time. Don't take this wrong, I'm not trying to bash KTM, maybe it's because I'm tall 6'6", 220 lbs and my son is 6'8" 200 lbs so I have to mod any bike I buy and starting with an already overpriced @ 9K KTM doesn't make any sense.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Very much agree.
  5. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    If you're buying a new yz250 at used prices then by all means, it's a deal. I was talking MSRP which both the 250's seem to go for here. The 250sx has linkage so not sure about the PDS thing and msrp is higher on a yz250 then a 250sx. Also the SX doesn't have estart. I guess you were saying your buy a yz250 over a exc/te250.
  6. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Always liked the Yami. Still have my 84IT for good reason. Threw a leg over 13 WR250 and 14 YZ250f and instantly felt comfy on both. Since we were actually shopping for my wifey, I really wanted to see what she thought.

We both thought that the KTMs just felt weird. She's had some saddle time on my 449 so it was agreed that a comparable KTM just felt off and 350 Husky only marginally better. She really liked the WR250. I've seen some going for under 5k and figure that if the carb doesn't work great, I could always get a Lectron and be done with it. That puts us several grand to the good for sure compared to white/Orange KTMs.

The others we looked at were KTM 250,350xcfw, Husky Fe250,350. All of which would be 9k+ otd
  7. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    I actually love Yamahas and it was always my favorite brand before I stumbled on Husky. Their 2 strokes are a disappointment though (being new). I'm also not defending KTM/husky. I think the previous 4 strokes were better 449/511 250/310. I do think the 250/300's 2 strokes could have used an update though. The new husky TC 250 is probably the best deal in the line up.

There's a reason Yamaha still offers there 2 strokes, they sell them. There's no doubt it's an awesome bike just not what I'd look for if I were buying new. Now that new yz450f or new 250f. My favorites out of all the new 4 strokes :). Then again I'd probably get a TC449 which I already know I love and have money leftover for Zip Ty to do the suspension :)
    lankydoug likes this.
  8. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I rode a 250sx and liked it better than the PDS XCW but the SX is not cheaper and would require oversized tank and skid plate. KTM really had my attention with the white KTM/Husky bikes which have linkage and the bigger tank and skid plate and I've heard you can get oversized radiators for them. I could do without the E-start but they are still overpriced compared to a YZ250 2t. A 2015 YZ250 is $6,500 new on autotrader before you start negotiating with the dealer. http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2015-Yamaha-YZ250-112467530 ... So yes I would go with the YZ over the TE and 2k or more in my pocket for mods. http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2014-Husqvarna-TE-250-112592422
  9. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    No worries, totally understand. We happened to be at a big dealer that carries everything so it was easy to walk around and look at them all. I wanted her to try everything with an open mind as her dirt experience on two wheels is limited to maybe 30 miles on my 449. She even threw her leg over a CRF250s, klx250, Drz400, & left over txc310. I had started with the Wr250f, so we went back at the end to compare. It was only a flip flop air conditioned carpet test, but it's a start. If it doesn't feel right like that, riding gear and dirt won't help a lot.

Yes you need to ride it for a true comparison if you have the good luck to be able to get your hands on them all and ride, but that's not as easy as it might sound unless you ride with A LOT of people. Us mere mortals have only so many ways to make a bike decision. Does it feel good on the showroom floor, and can I afford it?

I can't afford new Husky or KTM, and they don't feel as nice as the WR Yamaha that I could possibly swing someday.
    lankydoug and LandofMotards like this.
  10. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    The criteria for us was either dual sport or at least Cali green sticker legal btw. Motocross 2/4t bikes are Red sticky and out of the running for us.
    LandofMotards likes this.
  11. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    lankydoug likes this.
  12. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Have you seen the thread for AJP bikes in the other bikes section?
  13. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yep, we'll have to see about those. Looks nice, but not sure where they are being carried stateside.
  14. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    At this point I'd just call the importer and see if he has any dealers coming up soon in CA. Other wise you'd have to ship one and take a chance with your wife not even being able to sit on it. Have you seen a Sherco xride? I'm sure the importer has a demo. Not sure what they cost, just read a review in trail rider magazine and it's sounds like what you'd be looking for too.
  15. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I like (almost) everything about the New YZ450s. I'd ride a new YZ450 if I didn't go over the bars every time I let out of the gas. :eek: I'm just not a 4stroke guy and I'm old enough that I probably wouldn't live long enough to get used to the 4t power curve and engine braking. A recluse might solve that problem if I wasn't so particular about my clutch feel.

I agree that except for improving the fork/shock valving Yamaha really hasn't changed the 2t much since 2005 and it doesn't feel right to buy one at 2015 prices. However when I look at KTM, their changes don't amount to much either. Their biggest change is an E-start that is probably the poorest E-start out there when compared to any of their competitors.
  16. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    My neighbor has a YZ450f with the new motor (2011 I think) and wants to go riding and try out the 250. Can't wait to swap, really want to see what that things like :). I'm definately a four stroke guy but may be a 2 stroke guy before long. Have to ride a 250/300 before I decide. If I can't ride like Jarvis during the test ride I may stay withy a four stroke :)

I haven't heard much good about the estart on KTM 2 strokes either, supposedly 2 strokes are easy to kick. If buying new I'd probably get the tc250 without it anyway but I can't help but think the older cr with 165 kit would be perfect. Keep my TE for dual sport. Either way I'm dreaming at this point lol
    lankydoug likes this.
  17. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Thanks for pointing that out. I should have dug deeper but instead focused on the non motocross models thinking they were closer to the end result I was looking for. I might be able to work with that bike.

BTW a Lectron carb on a 2t pretty much does away with the need for an oversized tank. In the case of the WR Husky it was like getting 2 mods for the price of one.
  18. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    That's something, plus we haven't visited my local Beta dealer who is like 5 mins from the house. Plus height isn't a biggie as she is a Norwegian goddess and almost 6' tall. She does pretty good on my 2011te449, which is taller than '12 and on.
  19. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    At 6'6, I'm not even sure how you fit on a Jap bike...
    LandofMotards and Huskynoobee like this.
  20. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sorry mods, seems were drifting off topic...