1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Ignitech ignition

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Bryll, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Murph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Did you ever try this ignition on your 390 project? If so, how did it perform?

I have had success with the Motoplat on my 390 and once running it is fine, but it can be difficult to get started from cold. I plan to use it for Hare and Hounds next season with dead engine starts, so spending 10 minutes getting the engine running doesn't make for a very enjoyable event. :rolleyes:

Also, what battery life do you get? Will the battery last at least 3 hours before it needs to be recharged?

Thanks
  2. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 CR500, 85 CR500, 89 TE 610
    Hi Bryll,

This is verty useful information especially when my ignition packed up just before Race 2 of a 4 race weekend.... tends to dampen your spirit. I am interested in the fact that it not relying on revs to start... I was looking at an electrix system from the UK but I might investigate your solution further. Many thanks for the post.

Stu
  3. Bryll Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Some
    Other Motorcycles:
    Some
    Murph:
    I haven't got the time for the 390 project yet, currently working on a WR 125 -81.
    The battery last for at least 2-3 hours, but I change after approx. 1 hour to be safe (got three batteries).
    We tried to install a system on a Yamaha RD400 from the seventies, works well if we disconnect the alternator.
    Now we have to find a way to stop the alternator from magnetizing everything around it, especially the inductive ignition sensors.

Husky37:
    I can really recommend this system and it would be interesting to know your opinion if you decide to try it.
    Let me know if you want me to send you the ignition curve I use on my bike, could be useful to start up the bike with it and fine tune the curve when the bike is up and running.
  4. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thanks Bryll. There's a couple of people who supply the 'Constant loss' type sytems and the 'normal' systems in the UK but none of those can be 'mapped' by you. I was told that the amount of current drawn is little so a 7Ah battery should last a few hours. Plenty enough for a weekends racing with the bonus that you don't get warn out starting it...

Will let you know when I have been able to get hold of one.

Regards

Stu
  5. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Hi Scott,

I am just ab out to order a couple of these ignitions but before I do... How far did you get with the 'Battery aided start'?

Kind Regards

Stu
  6. Bryll Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Some
    Other Motorcycles:
    Some
    I'm quite curious about that battery aided start system too.
    How is the coil charged, through a capacitor and diode is series or .... ?
  7. dukkman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    85/WR 400,86/WR 240,83/430 is mates
    Other Motorcycles:
    69@71/TS90-76/TS100-72/DKW-78/PE
    Looking at your photo's I see that you don't have a flywheel fitted.
    Has this changed the power delivery of the motor ?
  8. Bryll Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Some
    Other Motorcycles:
    Some
    I don't really know, since the original Motoplat was broken when I got this basket case.
    (The motor was delivered in pieces to me when I bought the bike)
    The Motoplat internal flywheel isn't much of a flywheel either, so I guess the difference isn't that much.
    She starts very easy, but I'm not able to start her with the original curved kick start I do need the straight kick start
    (New piston)

Anyway, it's a monster even at idle :D
  9. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I never did get too far. Tough part is a magneto is AC and batteries are DC. Its easy to rectify AC to DC but the other way is a challenge.
  10. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Hi Bryll,

I sent a mail to Ignitech and made a list of what I thought I needed..

TCI-P4 (Basic)
    Z431 Coil
    PS01 Pickup
    Pulse Rotor

2 X the above

USB to COM cable

1 X the above

Sent details of the bike 1984 500 Husqvarna but they said they didn't know the bike and asked me for all the details, photos etc....

Am I right in the list above? Can you supply this if you ordered a number of units for yourself?

Please advise.

Kind Regards

Stu
    fix likes this.
  11. Bryll Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Some
    Other Motorcycles:
    Some
    The stuff I used for my bike was:
    1pcs Sparker TCI-P4 Ignition unit (basic)
    1pcs S01 Pickup
    1pcs Z431 Ignition coil
    1pcs Rotor disc 70mm diameter.

We are about to order a couple of units, but I don't really know when right now.
    It's a possibility that we got the stuff you need "in stock", I can check this when I go there on Saturday.
    The stuff is located at a friends workshop, so I don't how much we have left of it.

If you don't have any success to order directly from them, sure I'll order one set extra for you.
    In case you'd like to play with the software can I send you settings I used for my bike.
  12. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Hi Bryll,

I'll give Ignitech a go first otherwise it's two lots of shipping. I will let you know how it goes.

Stu
  13. Bryll Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Some
    Other Motorcycles:
    Some
    Here is how I connected my system.
    Quite simple operation actually.
    Ignitech CR500.jpg
  14. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thanks for that. I have asked them to invoice me... no word back yet.

Will let you know how it goes.

Stu
  15. Bryll Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Some
    Other Motorcycles:
    Some
    They will normally send you the invoice, and ship the stuff when it's paid.

I attached two ignition curves so you have something to start play with.
    One for my CR 500 and the other for a XT 600 four stroke.

Edit:
    You need to download the software from their website to be able to open the files.

Attached Files:

16. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    That's great thanks. I assume you set it to 10 Deg to make it easier to kick? I wonder if tuning the advance will cut down the vibration....

Stu
  17. Bryll Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Some
    Other Motorcycles:
    Some
    Mine is set to 1 degree and there has never been any kickback at all.
    Even when she backfires when kicking it only says "poff" in her.
    It will NOT make the bike wibrate less with the new ignition, maybe easier to start and quite fun to experiment with.
  18. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Hi Bryll,

I have ordered the bits today. Will let you know when they arrive. Next problem is the battery on my 85.... doesn't have the same space as the 84... Could really do with how much current the ignitions draws on each rev then we could work out the optimum battery size... might be able to get away with a smaller aH battery.

Stu
  19. Bryll Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Some
    Other Motorcycles:
    Some
    Great, good luck with your new ignition.
    Let me know if I can assist you in any way during the installation.

We are soon about to install a system on a Suzuki DR600 motor in a vintage sidecar chassi, I can try to check the current consumtion, if I remember to bring my meter that is.
  20. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Hi Bryll,

I actually took deliverey of the 2 ignitions a week ago but since then have been laid out with a virus... so have not been able to do anything. I am now just working out the best way for mounting the rotor. I am thinking of having a shaft machined with an internal slot just like the original flywheel so nothing moves. Then have the rotor welded to that. I am also trying to track down a nice 'flat/slim' battery pack.

Stu