1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Ignitech ignition

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Bryll, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Bryll Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Some
    Other Motorcycles:
    Some
    I decided to try a system from Ignitech when the old Motoplat retired.

Step one was to remove the Motoplat and fit the rotor disc and pickup coil.
    After some testing came I up with the following solution.
    Drill up the center hole on the rotor disc to 17mm and it will be lined up with the center of the pickup coil.
    (Ignitech standard 70mm rotor disc and inductive coil)
    [IMG]

I found a piece of 22mm stainless steel pipe in my junk box that I cut a piece of.
    The pipes inner diameter made it more or less self centering on the shaft :p
    [IMG]

Next thing was to set the zero point at top dead center.
    Tighten it and continue with the wiring that's very simple.
    [IMG]

There's enough space in the airbox to accommodate both the battery and the ignition unit.
    The bike got a good spark when kicking and starts very easy.

I bought the bike as a basket case and it's soon finished and ready for the track.
  2. oldhuskychuck Husqvarna
    A Class

is this a constant loss system?
  3. Bryll Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Some
    Other Motorcycles:
    Some
    I'm not familiar with the expression "constant loss system", please excuse a foreigner :doh:

You can read more here at Ignitech's web site.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    What that means is does it run off the battery which is constantly loosing charge and needs recharged between rides manually.
  5. Bryll Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Some
    Other Motorcycles:
    Some
    Yes, it's a constant loss system. Thanks for explaining this.

I got a 12V 4,5Ah NiMh battery that I supply the ignition with.
    A friend got the same ignition in his vintage side car, and runs it from a 12V 9Ah battery and it last for a whole racing day.
    So I guess if I got three different batteries to change with, I should be safe.
  6. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thats awesome! I and another forum member have been working on a battery aided start system. Charge coil so kicking speed isn't important to generate voltage. Scott
  7. Bryll Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Some
    Other Motorcycles:
    Some
    Interesting, how do you charge the coil?
    With a capacitor or :confused:
  8. Northern Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

How much, where from (ive found there website) in the CZ rep, do they hace a dealer network
  9. Bryll Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Some
    Other Motorcycles:
    Some
    If you check the pages for the products will you find the pricing in euro.
    Don't know if they got any sales network, we are always buying directly from them.

I'm using the TCI-P4 system.
    You can download the software from their website and investigate it, quite simple software to use.
  10. Trailridernut Husqvarna
    A Class

How long will the charge last? Can you ride a full day or one moto?

Looks impressive!:thumbsup:
  11. Bryll Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Some
    Other Motorcycles:
    Some
    Don't really know yet, just got the basket case I bought up and running.
    Hopefully will it last for a day, but I doubt it.
    I'll give you a report when I've been to the track.
    We are currently suffering from really bad weather here, so the tracks are not so nice at the moment :(
  12. Bryll Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Some
    Other Motorcycles:
    Some
    Some feedback of the ignition conversion

I went to an organized training along with some other friends last Saturday, the bike is really easy to start with this new ignition[IMG].
    Since it was the first time I took her to a track did I spend some time to tighten almost everything on the bike.
    She's not vibrating, she's shaking like crazy but it was good anyway to ride her.
    All the bikes was loaded up in the afternoon before we started the barbeque in the evening, since we had to visit another track on the Sunday.
    At the other track on the Sunday training was I really surprised and so where all the other guys standing beside me too.

The bike started on the first kick, and that's a CR500 from 83[IMG]
  13. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I liked reading about your ignition. Perhaps you should find a way to more securely attach the airbox as I had to repair one as it kind of drooped. What goes by that sensor? is it a magnet or something more complex. Clearly the modern bike guys like ignitions with not only advance but have choices as to how much and when. I know before honda gave up on the two strokes their advertising gave the impression they even attempted to compensate when wheel spin occured. Is throttle position (tps) really for two stroke? Just the peace of mind knowing it isn't going to kick back would be nice though my 83 500 never scared me that way like my latest project.

fran
  14. Bryll Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Some
    Other Motorcycles:
    Some
    The sensor is of the inductive type, basically a magnet with a coil wrapped around it.
    When the "loob" of the rotor disc passes it, will it generate a pulse to the ignition system.
    It generates a pulse when the front end and the rear end of the loob passes the sensor.
    One positive and one negative pulse.
    The system detects the time between the two pulses and calculates the rev and decides the advance of the spark.
    (hopefully was it understandable)

Several of the later two stroke MX bikes got the TPS built in the carburetor.
    I took the carb apart from a Honda 250 a week ago and it got the TPS.
    Next to do might be to attach a potentiometer to the throttle and see if it makes any difference

This is the settings I use at the moment
    [IMG]
  15. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Now that you mention the honda 250 carb I seem to recall seeing something about tps in the husky 125 description maybe 3 years or so ago on the husky website.

You explained it well and I see the length of that loob is important hence using the pick up in the origional motoplat or whatever else you have isn't going to be very easy if at all possible.

I don't see a box to set the 0 rpm advance in the above picture.

If one only operates in the english language is that a barrier?

It is an option though making a taper adapter and installing a complete self charging with electric output system would seem a better choice for me.
    fran
  16. Bryll Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Some
    Other Motorcycles:
    Some
    start advance = Base advance, in my case 1 degree.

It might be possible to attach a charging system on the bike, but you still need the battery to supply the "black box" with a good 12VDC.
    The disc I replaced the flywheel with is laser cut from a 2mm steel plate, the dia is 70mm.

The manual can be found here: http://www.ignitech.cz/english/tcip/manual_sparker_tcip4_v75_en.pdf
  17. Murph Husqvarna
    AA Class

I like the look of this system, but the information on Ignitech's website is not very clear (or maybe I am not being too bright [IMG]). For your system, did you order the "black box" plus the 70mm disc and the PS01 pick up? Is that all you need to order from Ignitech? The prices seem very reasonable when compared to other companies like Powerdynamo although there is clearly a bit of work to do installing the battery etc.

You have fitted this to a CR500, which originally used an internal rotor. What do you think of the potential for this system on a 390 engine which originally had an external flywheel or would the lack of weight make the 390 engine too fierce? I assume the disc is located on the taper of the crank and the 17mm hole you describe allows the disc to line up with the sensor? Is the disc supplied with a hole in the centre to begin with? If you can post some pictures of the battery installation etc that would be really helpful, thanks.
  18. Bryll Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Some
    Other Motorcycles:
    Some
    You got it right Murph. I ordered everything you mention and also a coil suitable for this system from Ignitech.
    The 500 engine in the WR and XC is equipped with external flywheel, mine is no problem without the flywheel.
    The weight of the disc is almost nothing compared to a flywheel.
    I guess the 390 engine would work just fine without its flywheel too.
    When I've finished my 390 project will I know for sure.
    The previous owner tried to remove the flywheel without knowing that the nut is left hand threaded, guess what happened :censored:

The battery on the 500 is just tucked in after the air filter is fitted, no fancy installation yet :rolleyes:

You are right about the lack of information at the homepage of Ignitech, it could for sure be improved.

The disc got a 10mm center hole from Ignitech
  19. Murph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the info, of course, I forgot the coil [IMG]. Do you remember which coil it was you ordered? Was it the IC-TCI-S?

Sounds interesting. Obviously for our type of bike the set up is the simplest possible, the only input to the black box being from the PS01 pick up. I personally would not be too worried about trying to rig some kind of TPS system, I like to keep things simple.

I am thinking about a new ignition and this seems to be good value, plus I like the possibility to adjust the advance using the software, although what settings would be best would probably need some experimentation. Any suggestions on starting figures? Was the company easy to deal with and was delivery quick?
  20. Bryll Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Some
    Other Motorcycles:
    Some
    The coil I use is Z431, the one you mentioned is for the capacitive system.

I know guys that's benn trying to get info from ignitech several times without success, we placed an order for roughly ten systems with coils, discs and sensors together with a lot of questions.
    The response from Ignitech is very good [IMG]

I asked for advise when I installed a system on a sidecar with a Yamaha XT600 motor, they sent me a connection diagram and a file with all settings and curves pre-programmed [IMG]

The owner of the side car bought the motor and we started it for the first time since he bought it after I connected the system.
    Started on the second kick.

If you ask me, YES Ignitech is a very easy company to deal with.