I couldn't resist yz450

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by Teambowles, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    19 ktm 6 days excf 450 n excf 500
    Hey Doug send some pics of your bike too please
  2. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    IMG_1695.JPG
    Teambowles likes this.
  3. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    It's dirty in that pic and has my son's graphics still on it. I put the bark busters and oversized rotor on it and still haven't been able to find the skid plate that used to be on it before he went MX crazy. My garage is a mess from shuffling bikes around and I've been working on bikes, cars and quads for extra cash. I wonder if the ecu has been changed or updated since 2011? I know they changed the stock mapping a couple times since then. If you put all 0s in the mapping box it is stock, then you can go + or - from there up to 9 but no more than I think 4 per transition. I seems like the more I tune it for performance and not smooth the better it does but than makes it harder for an old man to ride it. It's always been awesome in the sand and I was surprised how well it works in the rocky washed out ravines, it blasts right through with little to no deflections. I'm considering a rekluse :thinking:
    Teambowles and juicypips like this.
  4. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    Bits from the '14s top end and gearbox rebuild. At 126 hrs.
    My ex-yamaha mechanic said the oil pump was loose (from the factory) and
    was the most likely cause of the harden finish breakdown (pic 2), due to oil starvation.
    While we were there we took the opportunity to undercut the gears. Measure squish and ring gap.
    Not cheap
    rebuid.JPG
    gear.jpg
    Teambowles and lankydoug like this.
  5. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Paul c that's a potentially catastrophic event.
    Did the bike sieze or just get really noisy?
    Good find on the teeth tho.

Lanky Doug.
    Is that a sexy flat tracker I see in the back ground of your pic? Sure looks purrdy
    PaulC and lankydoug like this.
  6. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    No the bike did not seize it was just slipping out of gear into a false neutral.
    Yeh you would normally hear or see from the oil but there were no warning signs that I noticed.
  7. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    You really got lucky there.
    Well unlucky the pump was left loose from factory but lucky it wasn't much much worse!
    PaulC likes this.
  8. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Dang! I spent about $900.00 on mine, you had to have doubled that with the gears and shift drum & fork. Was the shift drum worn in the grooves where the fork pin rides? I'm feeling lucky now.
    Teambowles and PaulC like this.
  9. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

Yeh Doug, a cool $1550 worth without the rod kit which wasnt needed. The drum was acceptable to me but not to him and the fork was rounded.
    IMG_6857.JPG

The boy took it out today and reported "all good". Oil change tonite and final run in tomorrow.
    robertaccio and Teambowles like this.
  10. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I could see the oil pump problem causing crank pin and cylinder problems but not the gears because they are not pressure oiled. The pock marks in the gears look like surface stress fractures that could be caused by oil breakdown or just plain fatigue.
  11. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

Yes my initial thoughts exactly, 100%, just saying what he said. Caused most likely was "Big foot"
    Somehow I dont think there is as much love gone into the 14 to 16 models compared to the 10 to 12/13 models. But thats just a feeling I get from recent experiences.
    Its at least a year away now but Im hoping the 18 model is up to it.
  12. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    My 11 seemed to be put together with great accuracy. Maybe the new e start case can be put in the older bikes, that would be cool except I doubt I would take mine apart again just for that reason and It will be a while before it needs another overhaul.
  13. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Teambowles and lankydoug like this.
  14. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I decided to buy a Hinson momentum clutch basket, it's steel and weighs noticeably more than the stock aluminum basket. The stocker was getting notched and if I decide to get a Rekluse I would want to get a basket anyway. I figured I'd try the heavier basket and see if the flywheel weight of the steel basket gives it the result I'm looking for in off road situations. I looked at flywheel weights or heavier flywheels and they were the same or more dollars than a new clutch basket. I know plenty of riders that swear by a rekluse but I've resisted thinking my brain is capable of better clutch control. If I can't get it set up like I want then a rekluse will be next.

On another note I noticed that the newer yz450s have less oil capacity like 750cc compared to 1000cc of my 2011. I'm guessing this is because the left side case is slightly different?
    PaulC likes this.
  15. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah mine says 730 ml crazy amount that's not much oil at all. Its pretty much spot on too when I do oil changes. I tend to overfill every time but I figure 50 ml more oil couldn't hurt.....I would love to try a recluse, no more slow stalls in the sand would be very nice
    PaulC likes this.
  16. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah Teambowles Ive decided oil change every 4hrs, Just looking at the contamination:eek: And Yes + 50ml + or - 25ml is what I do.
    +
    Doug, Very keen to learn your opinion on the Hinson basket. For some time Ive been thinking of getting back to enduro's where the extra fly wheel weight is needed for a bush weapon.
    Thinking of converting the 16. IMHO enduros are more enjoyable, ride all day, and or with friends or in pairs or race...
    In 2013 my son took 3rd place in a Ironman open class event (run by ktm) on his 2011 yz450f. He is built for endurance at 90kg but chooses to do MX :( Go figure
  17. ptkatoomer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2020 ktm 300 xc-w, 2020 ktm 500exc
    I think the heavier clutch basket is a good idea. On my 500 exc I bolted a weight to the outside of the belview spring on my clutch and it really smoothed out the power.
  18. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Ok I remapped it again changing the low rpm settings so it would be less likely to stall and left the wide open setting for balls out race fuel. I wanted to get the mapping resolved before installing the basket so I could get a fair comparison of before and after the basket change. The mapping turned out spot on and resolved most of the stalling problems in fact it's good enough the way it is that I doubt it would stall on me more than a couple times a day.

Now I'm on to the next step. I installed the steel basket yesterday while it was raining. I had to use a press to get the gear out of the stock basket which is what the directions said but was unable to put the gear in the new steel basket by heating the basket and freezing the gear (as per the directions). It went half way on and stuck so I pressed it the rest of the way. Total time of install was about an hour including installing a Cycra plastic skid plate. The down side is it's still raining and isn't supposed to quit for two days. If the rain stops long enough for me to get an hour ride in I'll report back on the basket. If not it will be over a week before I can ride because I'm going to be in Seattle for 8 days starting next week.
    juicypips, Teambowles and PaulC like this.
  19. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Hinson steel clutch basket review

The rain let up and I got an hour of riding in. I set the idle speed down pretty low and tried to pick the tightest slowest stuff and ride it in a way that tempts it to stall. If ridden in 2nd when it should be in 1st I did get it to stall 2 or 3 times but there was several times that it's old self would have stalled and the heavy basket prevented it. It also bump started much easier and the power was noticeably smoothed out. I didn't have any tough hills to climb but I'm thinking it would probably be an advantage on hills. A better rider than me (and there are plenty) would probably never stall the bike with this basket, you have really got to kill your momentum to make it stall and if you're quick on the clutch lever you would save from stalling. One of the times it stalled I'm not sure that a Rekluse would have made any difference... maybe another mapping tweak is in order. For what ever reason this bike has never liked to putt around, If you ride it hard it rewards you, if you putt around it exposes your inner squid. I think I'm glad I chose the the heavy basket, I'm still on the fence about a Rekluse.

The pros;

It starts easier both with the kick starter and bump starting

It stalls about 1/2 as much as it did before in similar conditions

Clutch operation is silky and if you rev it and zap the clutch it launches harder due to more stored energy.

I didn't feel it was any harder to corner with the extra inertia

It noticeably smoothed out the power

The cons;

It noticeably smoothed out the power

It did not completely eliminate stalling
    Kam1 and PaulC like this.
  20. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hey Doug for what's it's worth mines similar if your on it riding hard all is perfect but it does not liked to be lugged. I've stalled many times in the sand but it's always been my fault for lugging it too much. They seem to like a lot of throttle but probably like you I find myself at my age trying to just hold on lol. The rekluse would be great imo acts like an automatic in a way and should never stall. I've watched a lot of videos on the rekluse but haven't ridden one which I'd really like to do.
    lankydoug likes this.