I couldn't resist yz450

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by Teambowles, Sep 28, 2014.

1. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    Yea Doug, 1 litre for our 2011 bikes. But obviously the 2014/15 is carrying even less now! Apart from the rap around header pipe there are many other small refinements. like the clutch actuator has a different angle and the oil filter cover now has 2 shorter bolts the same length etc etc.

There is a old Japanese proverb (saying) "Standing still is the same as going backwards" :oldman: This is why Yamaha marches on.
    Motosportz and lankydoug like this.
  2. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    If your yz is 2 or 3yrs old I highly recommend upgrading the front brake hose to a braided line. It gave us 10% to 15% more stopping power straight off. (HEL braided line) Then we put on an oversize disc for a further 10%. Easy upgrades

IMG_3748.JPG

And a couple of action shots

jump8.JPG jump23.JPG stack2.JPG
  3. mtdirtbag Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Beta 300RR
    That last photo is of the "self-driving" model?
    PaulC likes this.
  4. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    yea , split second later

stack4.JPG

soil sample.
    juicypips and Teambowles like this.
  5. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hey Teambowles, some time has pasted. You still got the YZ? Hows it going? and how many hours?
    We've upgraded the 11's to a 14 and 16 models and a pic of the TR after its annual clean!
    IMG_6683.JPG IMG_6593 - Copy.JPG IMG_6745.JPG
    Teambowles likes this.
  6. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    19 ktm 6 days excf 450 n excf 500
    Yup still got her and love it, probably got about 20-25 hours on her and pulls like a freight train. Still adjusting chain after about every 3rd ride but kicks every time and no issues at all. Buddy bought a 15 YZ and same thing so dependable and no issues. Rode her about 10 days in dunes recently and oil looked good with Mobil 1 0-W40 in it. Great bikes chain sprockets still look new. I have to tell ya I have absolutely no worries about the bike and it will last me a long time. Btw another buddy bought the 16 in blue and put the Dr D full exhaust on and it is so responsive and sounds bad ass. image.jpeg image.jpeg our other dirt bikes got more street bikes too lol

Attached Files:

7. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Street bikes lol image.jpeg image.jpeg not enough time in the day
    PaulC likes this.
  8. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I'll add a short update on my son's 2011 YZ450 which I'm getting ready to buy off him so he can get a new MX bike.

I bought a GYTR tuner and remapped his bike (using only VP110 race fuel) giving it more advance and more fuel down low and through the mid-range, up high I retarded the timing and leaned out the fuel. This bike is super snappy now and once it hits about 8k rpm it sets sail and is absolutely gone. I will probably re-map it down low to a more mild tune so I can ride it in the woods, my son loves it on the mx track and has been moving up in speed over the last two years and is knocking on the A class door. A GYTR tuner is worth the money and can really change the personality of the bike in less than 5 minutes. You can store several tunes (8 or 9) and change them for conditions like slick track, sand, high altitude, ect. I also had the suspension re-valved for a 6'8" 210 lb A rider and when I ride it it works better than any suspension I've ever ridden... the faster I go the better it works, the only problem is I don't have the fitness to ride it that fast for very long. Old man problems are tough to face up to.
    Teambowles and PaulC like this.
  9. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I agree, ours had a front brake hose problem and started dragging the front brake pads. I took a while to figure out what was causing it and cost us a DNF in a motocross race.
    PaulC likes this.
  10. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

Old man problems, hehehe, I'm hearing ya, but i refuse to let it get to me too........
    Yes having the tuner is great, its also a bonus that its still current for the 16/17 models. We're picking my sons 2016yz tomorrow morning from MPE suspension, reworked for 200 lb. Revalved and race tech's 0.51, not sure whats going in the rear. Cool $950 worth. The boy likes to get it done every 40/45 hrs. WTF Anyway it will cheaper next time.
    I'm 230 lb so he doesn't like me riding the 16 !:rolleyes:
    Teambowles and lankydoug like this.
  11. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    The GYTR tuner is also a great diagnostic tool if you're wanting to look at live data on all the temp sensors and tps readings. Yamaha really has got it together when it comes to giving a racer what they need. I think the same tuner will work on the quads as well.
    PaulC and Teambowles like this.
  12. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

Whats the rod/tube beside the muffler used for? camera? tube.JPG

Really dig those sand paddles. One of the local tracks, Coolum beach is a sand track. For that we use MX11s on DID st-x wheels, the up side is they last for a long time and the down side is "the sand gets in!" everywhere. Often thought about running the chain dry of lube.
  13. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks our bikes are used for sand only pretty much. the yz runs a dunetik paddle, they don't last long and the rmz and fc run the scat trac haulers they last a very long but are twice as expensive. I will be running the hauler on the yz very soon due to the dunetik being smoked and the other lasting longer and hooks up better. The rod thing is a flag mount, the blue part is the mount that bolts to the muffler bolts and the round tube is the quick release for the flag just pops in and out no need to have to bolt it on bike. Yea sand gets everywhere and the chain and sprocket get abused in the sand. In the sand we just use wd40 and lube it often. Chain lube will just muck up and makes it worse. When the bikes are stored for the winter or are gonna sit for a while ill use the motul chain lube, it dries sticky after it sits for a while and wont let the chain rust.
    PaulC likes this.
  14. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Let's see pic of that 16

Edit. Sorry I see pics above very nice.
  15. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

14 with polished wheels
    16 with black

Just on the 2014 bike, we had a broken engine mount. Left hand side, top. The triangle.
    (sorry must have tossed it)
    Slide1.JPG
    the replacement was 1mm+ thicker

So watch that
    Teambowles likes this.
  16. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ya know I haven't checked mine in quite a while, forgot about it, was a known problem for 14s in 15 I think they went with a metal one which was thicker. Good reminder for me thanks.
  17. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

Yea When you think about it, brakes are pretty basic but I often get caught out. "When you tinker thems the breaks!" I guess for me
  18. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    The front brakes would randomly drag or even try to lock up and not release causing a fall in a corner thus would jam dirt in the brake lever. At first we thought it was dirt not letting the ASV lever clear the relief hole in the master cylinder. I would go weeks without any problems but was going through front pads and it eventually killed a front rotor. I changed a master cylinder off a different bike and it still did it so I changed the brake hose and it finally fixed it. If I could have caught it doing it it would have been easy to figure out but it seemed to do it when my son was riding by himself and I wasn't around to check if the caliper had pressure when the lever was released. It must have been a flaw in the brake hose lining that randomly acted like a one way check valve.
    PaulC likes this.
  19. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Just rode one of the crew's brand new YZ450X, very impressive machine that feels very heavy to me, but handles like a champ. Funny bit is that he installed a DR D full pipe and lightweight battery in the interest to lighten the machine and has set about looking at ways to keep er light.

Oh the funny/amazing bit , he did instantly install a Rekluse Core EXP.....when I hopped on he said click it up into 3rd leave it there and go hit the single track. I left the parking spot starting in 3rd and rode a couple miles of single track all the time in 3rd gear like Tommy said......I went to second once by accident. So I was amazed that you could run that thing in 3rd gear from zero to hero speed on the trail. And being in 3rd just kept the chassis so smooth and controlled, it was like butter. BTW Those forks are really "that" good.
    PaulC, oldbikedude and lankydoug like this.
  20. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    That bike is making lots of happy desert racers.