I couldn't resist yz450

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by Teambowles, Sep 28, 2014.

1. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    You have a stable full of 450s, are they all similar to your YZ? Your spot on about be getting old and not able to ride it non stop they way I should. I bought my wife an X-trainer with a rekluse and it never stalls even when she rides it two gears high. When I get back home next week I think I'll order one and give it a go. A few years ago a never thought I'd own a 4 stroke and especially not one with an auto clutch. I guess it's never too late to try something new.
    Kam1 and Teambowles like this.
  2. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    19 ktm 6 days excf 450 n excf 500
    No they are not the same, both the husky and Suzuki love to rev to the moon the Yamaha not so much flattens out on top but super torquey and huge mid power. They all feel way different power wise and handling, if you do get the rekluse please keep us posted on your thoughts in theory it sounds very nice and controllable with the power these bikes make. Handling wise on the 450's the Suzuki by far feels the lightest and slimmest, then the husky then the Yamaha. As you know the Yamaha has wide tank shrouds where the other two don't which makes it feel bigger than it is.
  3. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    He couldn't resist yz450f
    After much deliberation my son decided to take the plunge with the 2018 yz450f.
    We have invested quite a bit since 2010 into our racing addiction. The bike has been revised severely. Fortunately the wheels are carried over!. (since 2014)
    But not much else. The tuner, plastics, air filters etc all have to go.

While I love my TR husky, the new yz is a stunner in the flesh and there's something intriguing about the yz family,
    perhaps it's the design and brilliant use of composite alloys. Download the tuner app to see whats different.
    IMG_8529.JPG
    yz450right.JPG
    and my old faithful
    55 (2).JPG
    Kam1, lankydoug and Teambowles like this.
  4. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    The Yammies are just so dependable. You have a nice looking bike there chum.
    PS some nice farkles on the TR as well.
    PaulC likes this.
  5. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Dammit Paul! I've been waiting for your post lol. I figured it either be you or me with a new blue bike. Blue rims, ecu app, electric start I'm jealous....very nice and congrats! Solid dependable sexy beast can't go wrong there. Ya gotta give a debrief after you get her broken in and dirty. Love the blue!
    PaulC likes this.
  6. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    A quick update on my 2011 yz450. I installed the latest rekluse radius X and a steel momentum clutch basket for a little more flywheel affect, I've also been playing with the mapping and so far each one of my changes have been an improvement for off road riding. The two main quirky things I've been getting used to that The bike likes to be fully warmed up almost hot or it will get you with an unexpected flame out when you chop the throttle going over an obstacle or into a corner. If I stop to rest I have to cover the clutch for a few minutes until the engine is back to full temp (it's fine when it's hot). The other thing is body position in corners, I have to be way forward up on the tank to get the bike to corner hard without lifting the front wheel out of ruts or doing the light from end wash out. When I'm up there it works really good it's just that there is no room for laziness. If I had to sum it up in a short sentence before one of my buddies hopped on when we switch bikes is... Ride it hard and get forward as far as you can with your elbows out in the corners and it will reward you.

Since all these mods including completely going through the engine and chassis I've only got 10 hours on it.. cold weather and ice be damned!

I wish someone could tell me if a newer ECU would process info faster and make it less finicky. Also if different engine mounts from a newer year would weight the front end a little better
    Teambowles, PaulC and Kam1 like this.
  7. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    My bike is a 2011 YZ450

Now that a little time has passed and I've got a few more hours on the bike I've run into a little problem that took me awhile to figure out what was going on. I've greatly improved the mapping and starting the bike is easier and flame outs don't happen once the bike is warm... BUT EXCEPT when I ride slow nasty single track for a long time when I get back out in an open and get it in the 3/4 to full throttle in 2nd, 3rd or higher gear it cuts out terribly like it's lean popping out the exhaust. I've remapped that part of the rpm range by giving it more fuel which helped some but I actually think it's heat related and might even be vapor locking or boiling the fuel or even possibly heating up the fuel pump so that when I come out of the slow single track it starves it for fuel until enough fuel is run through to cool things off. After coming out of single track it takes 1/4-1/2 a mile to get it back to running good. The really bad thing is when I'm in tight single track if I get in a bottle neck and have to wait on other riders to clear the trail and I shut the bike off it's hell to restart it hot. Last weekend while riding with a group I got way out front and when I got out of some single track to a logging road transfer section, I shut off the bike and took a 10 min nap while waiting on my group and it started first kick. On the flip side in an deep holler with no breeze and 100 degree heat and extremely humid I attempted a nasty double rock ledge 4 or 5 times without success and my bike started to steam out the overflow so I shut it off because the trail out of there was blocked by rider not able to make obstacles. It took me 20-30 minutes to get the bike restarted (I think due to vapor locking or a similar heat issue with the fuel on hot restart). To give you an idea of the conditions one of the riders blocking the outlet was on the verge of heat stroke and was throwing up.

Now that you have an idea of what the bike is doing, hear's the question. Have any of you YZ450 owners had similar problems? I was thinking of adding some extra heat shielding and maybe even an auxiliary cooling fan or possibly replacing the fuel pump. If I don't make a change I'm going to have to avoid that kind of riding. On this same ride the guy who bought my old WR250 Husky had zero problems and my son on a 2017 KX250f set up for motocross had no issues and his bike restarted 1st kick every time. This slow technical single track is one of my favorite types of riding so I'm seriously considering a different bike if I can't get to a reasonable fix for this problem. I realize the yz450 wasn't made for this to begin with but figured someone might have solved this on their YZ450.
  8. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hey Doug I haven't had any problems with my YZ. It's bone stock though and I ride sand not single track. I know when I get in tight sand trails the YZ doesn't like to be lugged I try n keep the revs up or lugging it will cause it to stall. Mines a 2014 so I think it's a bit different than your 2011 (pipe ecu mapping). Haven't had any over heating issues either but after a few tight sand trails I open her up in the wide open to get cooling flowing. Warm or cold usually 1-2 kicks and starts every time. Maybe try to clean or get a new gas cap, fuel filter, or put ecu settings back to stock and see if it makes a difference. How's spark plug look? Definetly sounds like a fueling issues of some sort. If I remember your pipe goes straight out the back of motor to tail, as you know the newer ones wrap around the entire cylinder and it seems they would run hotter.
  9. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    lankydoug likes this.
  10. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    LOL I actually ordered Evans coolant this morning before I checked this thread. I was using engine ice with redline additive but it obviously wasn't meeting the demands, it puked out almost a quart of fluid.

I'm definitely interested in the ignition ECU. Yamaha changed their ECU after 2013 for a reason and I've always felt that mine was kinda finicky and prone to flame out more so than other bikes. Thanks for the link I'm going to verify that my cooling system is working properly and I'll switch to Evans when it gets here next week and then look at getting the ECU. I've really put a lot of dollars into this old bike when I did crankshaft rod kit, piston, valves, springs and bearings and a Recluse 15 engine hours ago. I'd like an 18' rear wheel but I want to get it completely sorted first. If I can't get it sorted for single track I'll either convert it to a flat tracker or sell it to a motocrosser since it will work perfectly fine for that.
  11. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

Great mods you have done. I am no mechanic by a long shot. But could it be that one of your sensors is playing up? Or the TPS needs a recalibration? Should be able to be picked up by a co2 sniffer.
    Other things on the overheat front. Provided there is enough wattage generated maybe a switched WR fan? I have been a convert to waterless liquid for 5 years now, it is great stuff. Most Ozzie race teams use it.
    I use Liquid Intelligence 115, it cured my TR.
    One other thing which I'm sure you are aware, advanced ignition timing = more engine heat.
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zNJS7gYAVk

With the rear wheel going a 18", see if you can pick up a wheel with a cracked rim and convert it to 18". We have broken 3 to date so it's not uncommon. With the front wheel they changed axle size in 2014 but the rear wheel remains unchanged from 2010 to the current yz, and should keep its resale value.
    Keep us informed bloke:thinking: ..
  12. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Currently my mapping is close to stock (all zeros on the GYTR except some +1 and 2s at the 3/4-full throttle high rpm range). I do think that when it pukes out some coolant it could very possibly be getting air pockets in the cylinder head and cylinder water jackets which can throw off the coolant temp sensor. Evans should solve that if that is what's happening.
  13. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    We liked the 450 so much we bought a second
    IMG_7226.JPG
    Teambowles likes this.
  14. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ha ha awesome
  15. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    image.jpeg drivers side image.jpeg passenger side. Passenger side looks like a crack, can't really tell and it doesn't go all the way thru. Thoughts
  16. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    image.jpeg passenger side
  17. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

WOw yer bike looks clean!
    Yes its a common problem
    The replacement mount is thicker, and under $50 if I recall correctly.
    Posted on page 2 of this thread
    Am I seeing it right?
    Teambowles likes this.
  18. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yea whatever it is maybe a scratch or a crack, again not thru metal n wrong side. I think I'll replace them just in case.
  19. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    OCD wash day lol image.jpeg

Attached Files:

lankydoug and PaulC like this.
  20. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle: