Husky 2t dual sport bike coming?

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Slowpoke, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    there is a reason almost every modern engine is water cooled...

"Water (or water and antifreeze) offers 1000 times greater thermal conductivity than air and it can be routed much more closely to high temperature areas such as the exhaust valve seat and guide."

"Unlike air, the flow of water through a liquid cooled cylinder head can be manipulated much more easily. The flow pattern, rate, temperature and pressure can all be adjusted in order to provide maximum cooling effectiveness without increasing the surface area of the cylinder head or walls. Suddenly it becomes possible to start increasing the power per cubic inch without any detrimental thermal effects on the cylinder head and valve train. When water cooling is compared to air-cooling this effect is almost magical in that it solves a myriad of thermally related problems all of which have a positive effect on the reliability of the components used in the top end of the cylinder head including the cylinder head itself.
    "
    dartyppyt and Ryan like this.
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I don't mean to be argumentative just pointing a different way to look at things.
    Vinduro likes this.
  3. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You weren't there so how could you know ? I believe I have already pointed out that NO watercooled bikes finished the 1982 ISDE in Czecho. You have to understand why watercooling came about in the first place . I didn't say I wanted to go back to short travel bikes with Piston Port engines , small clutches and points. I do believe that aircooled bikes can be just as competitive as a watercooled bike.
  4. Suamico SD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 350 , Gas Gas Raga 300
    I think the bottomline is whoever (Husky or KTM) brings a direct inject 2t to market first will be the sales winner.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    While I wish to believe that too many more will wait for the KTM because husky is still a small obscure company to most.
  6. Suamico SD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah, seems like I have the only Husky on race day here.
  7. sasrocks Husqvarna
    AA Class

well I would definately plunk down the $$$ to get one of these. Too bad we had to wade thru 5 pages of 'back in the day' off topic ranting to get a few scraps of details on the bike the thread was about. (And I most surely 'was there' back in the day, no real desire to hop in my Delorean and go back there, foregoing all the new iron. Ebay is there for those who wish to).
    Ryan likes this.
  8. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    If it is done well, yes, I think so too.

Personally I would love to have a super light trail bike, preferably with a license plate, in addition to my 2006 TE250. We need another bike and do not want it to be too heavy.
  9. Suamico SD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Would be kind of cool if it was a trail/trials like the Ossa explorer or KTM 350 freeride.

More importantly, if they are such clean burners will be able to call them "2 smokes"?
  10. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Good question ... yep, I think the name will stay ...

ESP in the case of Husky needing market share and riders to just try their bikes .... A DI 2T can attract riders due to it's own merit alone ... Husky can ride this wave ...
  11. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    I am dumb on the topic. What is a quick rundown to advantages of a DI two stroke (besides dealing with jetting)?
  12. Suamico SD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    I am not an expert and Im sure I will be corrected, however the benifit of the direct inject is the fuel is introduced in a way that it is more consistant fuel mix and much cleaner burning. That on top of all the usual FI benefits like adj maps for terain, weather , elevation etc.
  13. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
    They have mentioned a Husky street legal 2 stroke in 2014 in almost every motorcycle mag I have picked up this month. I can't wait to see the 2014 stuff and have a feeling the 2T revamp is going to lead a Husqvarna marketing blitz!
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Less emissions, more power, more efficiency (better mileage)... already proven out with sleds.
  15. TrailPunter Husqvarna
    AA Class

So just for the sake of argument. If and when Husky decides to bring this bike to market what will it offer in terms of transmission, weight, fuel capacity...
    The current TE310 is claimed to weigh 247 Lbs, and the WR300 comes in at 230 Lbs. I would hope a six speed with a wider ratio, a three gallon fuel tank, and the weight around 240-250 Lbs. You lose the extra weight of the four stroke cylinder head, but add the unknown of the DI components. I would think that it could be brought in for at least the same (weight wise) as the TE310.
  16. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I hope it's a DI200 that weighs about the same as the current 125-144
  17. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    Don't forget that you're swapping the DI hardware in and taking out the carb. So it's not all added weight by any means.

I just hope they make them with user friendly seat heights (unlike all the current 2Ts which are the tallest bikes Husky makes, even though there's plenty of room to make it lower without changing the suspension OR ground clearance).