How Husqvarna can improve sales in North America

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by Bobby, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    When I was looking for a dualsport bike, KTM seemed like the only logical choice. I didn't really know anything about Husqvarna, other that I rode with a guy that had a plated 450 that looked nice. He fell down a lot with it, but I suspected that none of that was the bikes fault.

Magazines with any articles in them about the TEs were almost nonexistent. There never seemed to be any room to sandwich an article in between the endless tests of KTMs.

Finally, a Husky dealership opened up right here in town and I went over to look at the line-up. The salesman was pretty thorough in his presentation of the machines and let me look at manuals that showed how the motor was built and the various specifications, etc.

Then I picked out a 450 and when I was ready, I bought it. The dealership set it just the way I wanted it and rejetted the carb and threw out all the EPA stuff. Then I bought lighter springs for the shock and forks and a heat shield and was ready to go.

I think that there is not enough information put in front of the prospective consumer. Not enough marketing, advertising, magazine tests, accessories and aftermarket products.

If people were more inclined to research stuff, they would consider the Husky. But most people just respond to "in yer face" products.
    I'd be riding an EXC right now, if I hadn't taken the time to look a little further, and boy, am I glad I did!
  2. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

That's what I'm sayin',......If I hadn't just 'dumbed' into this WR300 by a chance word-of-mouth mention from a buddy of mine, I'd probably have paid a grand more for a new '09 300 XCW with the e-button.

If you can't kick a 300cc two stroke to life, you're ready for one of those electric old-folk's scooters with a big basket on it, and a 'help I've fallen and I can't get up' bracelet.
    I once accidentally lit off my '06 300 XCW with my hand, moving the kicker down out of my way to get at the carb to Armor-All the rubber intake boot!
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    And speaking of easy starting, the Husky is WAY easier to kickstart if you want or need to, than my friend's EXC. I could go on with the comparisons, but I'll shut up now.:thumbsup:
  4. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Mmm...not necessarily; If Miss Fortune had smiled on me in a slightly different manner and decided to destroy my right ankle instead of my left, I'd probably be looking for an e-start bike, too. But since it was my left ankle, I've still got a lot of kickin' life left in me. I was lucky.

I kinda think it's unnecessary weight on a 2-stroke and wouldn't really need/want one, but I can certainly see where e-start would come in handy for a small segment of our riding bretheren.

WoodsChick
  5. Stapleking Husqvarna
    A Class

Point of fact: modern compact electric starters weigh less than the shaft, gears, arm, etc. of a kick start mechanism. When we [Highland] designed our new 450, we elected [pun intended] to go with the electric starter only for precisely that reason. Cost-wise, it's a wash.
  6. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Interesting!

I can go break my other ankle now and not worry about it:thumbsup:

WoodsChick
  7. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

How insensitive of me. :doh:

My humble apologies to our 'less ambulatory' bretheren.

I really don't park in the handicapped spaces either,...honest, I don't.

The '09 KTM 300 XCW has both the e-start AND the kicking gear,...so the fact that the electric start weighs less would have been rather a moot point had I bought the Katoom.
    I once bought a brand new XR650L that had no kicker. It got me deep in the backwoods of WV once, and the battery died. It was too wet and greasy and miserable traction-wise to bump start it as well. I pushed that heavy sucker until I found a gravel road to bump start it on. I shall NEVER go kicker-less again!
  8. miketv Husqvarna
    A Class

I'm kinda in the same boat as you w/bikes. It's just disappointing that in the Ohio/KY/PA/WV area Enduro is as strong as ever and Husqvarna's exposure is so small. Truth be told, the high end stuff (KTM, Husky, Husaberg, ect) is a bit out of reach for most folks I know unless you can find a good deal on a used one. Particularly now with the economy going Tango Up in so many places. For me personally last spring I would not have been able to drop $8k on a new 610. Got mine used w/1500mi for about 1/2 at the time. Couple that with the local dealer in Columbus who can't seem to get their parts ordering system together and it makes it tough. I really want to support my local shop but if I can't get spares to maintain my stuff, whaddya gonna do? :excuseme: I was planning on ordering a 2009 TE310 but with the economy in flux and the situation with my local shop I'm gonna hold off. Hat's off to Hall's in Illinois or I'd be up a creek for spares.

I still chuckle a bit when I'm cruising around town and someone says " hey! I've got a chainsaw and/or weedeater by Husqvarna! When did they start making motorcycles?" This is usually from other folks on bikes..

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE my Husky and wouldn't give it up for anything else but as a rider and owner I think you have to really be brand loyal to own one these days. All in all it's not a really big deal for me as I have other interests that have literally led me all over the world to find parts and bits. I've learned to be patient and persistent when trying to find something. Collecting Lee Enfields and driving FJ40 Landcruisers will get ya there :thumbsup: