How Husqvarna can improve sales in North America

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by Bobby, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    What people put in their personal signature line on other sites is none of my business, but I strongly discourage an organized movement to use other sites resources to advertise Cafe Husky - such as urging people to put Cafe Husky in their personal sig lines on forums.

It is one thing to help people who are asking for help, and it is quite another to offer unsolicited information.

I'm not sure how the owners of other sites view these types of things but these 2 things are completely different:
    • Person asking for help receives a "here is a link to some information that will answer your question"
    • "check this site out!"

Here is a thread on Cafe Husky where someone was offering information in case someone found it useful.
    http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626

I'll start another thread regarding signature lines on Cafe Husky at some point, don't really want another hijack of this thread.

2. Baritone Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several

What does that mean? You are ordering more SM/TE's because that's where the demand is or you are ordering more off road bikes to generate more interest/sales?:excuseme:
  3. Bobby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TXC310Rx2,
    Other Motorcycles:
    G450X, HP2E, 10 R12ADV, GasGas280
    That means I have to order what I know we can sell and be very conservative on other models with the hope I can beg allocation from other dealers if I manage to sell out early in 09 :cheers:
  4. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Isn't it true that dealers have access to any remaining Husky stock at the distribution center for customers if needed?
  5. Baritone Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several

Why dincha say that the first time?;):D
  6. Husky Relic Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 511, 2012 TXC 310, 2013 TXC3
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW GS1200, Zero S, Zero DS, Zero FX
    Thanks for all the great ideas on how to sell Husky's. I was running out.
  7. jkm Husqvarna
    AA Class

I attend as many Dual-Sport events as possible. At every event, people stop and look and ask questions about my '07 TE450. People love these bikes, and, I've often wondered what it would take to get some of them to take the 'leap' to Husky.
    I don't pretend to know, but, I am willing to make this offer. At every event I attend, I will offer my camping spot, my enclosed trailer, and my motorhome for any Husqvarna advertising (banners, posters, etc) that Husqvarna provides me. I would also be willing to hand out brochures to the guys looking and asking questions about the bikes.
    That's free labor and free advertising space. ....jkm
  8. MJG Husqvarna
    B Class

why do you say 95% of KTM dealers are disgruntled? did I read that correctly? opinion, facts, they can't make money, relations with the manufacturer? curious basis of that comment -not saying its true or false but I never heard that....
  9. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Welcome MJG.

Interesting first post...
  10. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250

95% is definitely a bit of an overstatement..... KTM did lose a good bunch of dealers this past year. I personally know one, that after 20+ years threw the towel in with KTM and know of another who did the same. A part of this was KTM looking to bigger dealers at the expense of their smaller traditional dealers. I heard that at the last dealer meeting, KTM said they recognised this and would make amends.

My local KTM dealer isn't disgruntled at all. He discounts the bikes heavily, so they move right out. He has a good relationship with his rep and gets the units he wants (although this is probably easier as demand has slackened). My local economy is a little insulated from the bubble bursting.... we don't get the boom, so no bust. A guy who wants a KTM will find the money and the rest buy Jap bikes on revolving credit. In other areas, I get the impression there is more resistance to how expensive a KTM has gotten.

To be price competitive KTM dealers are going to have to discount more than a Husky dealer. This discounting, combined with KTM's fees structure, parts pricing/shipping, floor plan/parts interest is going to put a big squeeze on KTM dealers' margins. Add a dropping Euro and the fact that KTM probably won't rolll back any pricing, so as to recoup what they took in the shorts with the dropping US Dollar. This may or may not increase discontent amongst KTM dealers. If Husky can offer a better situation, some KTM dealers might go Husky.
    Just saying......
  11. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

The dealership I bought both my KTMs from dropped 'em like a bag of dirt last year. It was 50 miles away, and it was the closest KTM dealer I had. I stopped by there for air filter oil one morning last summer on my way to ride the Wayne National Forest, and saw no orange anywhere.
    Salesman said they just couldn't move 'em well enough to warrant keeping them. Place was full of Honda and Polaris ATVs & UTVs. That's just this area for you though,...big fat rednecks with an Earnhardt tattoo and a #3 shaved into their back hair trundling through the woods on a quad looking for a mud hole to sit in and spin all 4 tires until they sink out of sight.

Now I gotta drive to Columbus or Cincinnati for any KTM stuff,...or just order it online from Munn's in Waco, TX....(the main KTMtalk sponsor).
  12. MJG Husqvarna
    B Class

Ok thanks for reply. I have 3 KTM dealers within 75 miles and all seem to be doing well. 2 are big stores and all 3 have multi brands but very well represented with KTM.

I just didn't think they are all disgruntled but could imagine KTM corp squeezing out the small guys. I've personally seen that happen in the bike, boat and auto world. But 95% being disgruntled was a wild number :-)

You can get parts easily and good prices online. As for the economics- I think you could spin it either way -KTM customer's are typically better funded, older more estabilshed buyer that can afford the bike, parts and accessories. So even in tough times you still have a certain amount of people with money.

I would think the Husky demographic very similair and those bikes aren't exactly cheap -I don't think you could say way cheaper. And there aren't many Husky dealers -I'd image most are dualed with other products.

So -I really don't understand the comment- I guess the more I think about it -about disgrunted dealers

I'd think right about now almost all dealers are pretty disgrunted and even if you own a Honda store -getting those customers financed is going to be a lot tougher with bank lending practices what they are.

Anyway- I currently have a few full size 2 stroke KTMs and a few little Hondas -I've owned Suzi, Yami etc. I think I am a Euro guy now and future and do like the Husky- I could see me on one in future for sure -nice site here. Oh -I have a Ducati street bike and that dealer sells Husky :-)

Mark
  13. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Mark,
    When I mention parts and pricing, I mean from the dealers' perspective, not the customer. The way KTM parts are ordered, priced, shipped and payed for by the dealer. You add to this from the customer side, by saying... "good prices online". If you don't buy parts from your local dealer or expect him to price match to the lowest online price, you are squeezing his margin even further. Then add that to the fact the dealer discounted the bike further than he should have to make the sale, thinking he'll sell you parts and accessories. My favorite is the guy who buys his handguards, skid plate, etc online and then can't figure out why his dealer doesn't want to put them on the new bike he just got at below dealer cost, for free!:banghead: What KTM dealer pays for brochures is not a small amount. All this stuff adds up.

Price.... A street legal '09 Husky TE450 MSRP ($8299) is close to $900 less than an '09 street legal KTM 450EXC($9198). That's substantial in my book.
  14. MJG Husqvarna
    B Class

Norman,

I understand and agree.

I also agree about supporting local dealer. I would never be one of those guys that buys online and then expects dealer to install for free -that drives me nuts too.

I do buy online and also buy plenty when I am in my local stores as well.
  15. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

They're disgruntled over the price increase... I'm hearing the numbers are off nationally by 60%.

Yes, the entire industry is feeling the crunch, but KTM was the only manufacture to increase their 2009 prices by as much as $1000 over 2008 models.

I know two big full line dealers that are KTMs dealers and the price increase has all but killed their off-road sales... with the exception of their KTM street legal 4 strokes.

One of those dealers who just became a KTM dealer last year is already looking to get rid of the franchise and just focus on Japanese dirt bikes, because customers are looking for value right now.

JustSaying
  16. miketv Husqvarna
    A Class

Funny you mention Columbus as Wheelsports has been a cycle shop for as long as I can remember. They originally were a Husqvarna dealer in the 70's and 80's but Wally gave up on Cagivia's poor dealer support and broken promises. He went to KTM in the late 80's and is the only dealer in central Ohio as far as I know. When I was riding PE's in highschool I used to stop by the shop and drool over the Husky's, always dreamed of a WR250 or 390.

Would like to see Husqvarna back to prominence again around here as most of what you see is Japanese or KTM's. Figure it's going to take a sizable investment to do so but with the economy as it is, it will be awhile. I'm going to put off ordering a TE310 until I see how things are going to shake out job wise.
  17. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

My $.02 -- I am not in the industry or tied to it closely. So -- I am just Joe Consumer here.

A bit about me -- The last time I rode for a significant time was 1988. The last new bike I had was a 1986 Husky 250WR [which I loved]. My dad was a big time Husky guy too. So -- I know Huskys. They are comfortable for me.

Fast forward 20 years. Looking to get back into it. I ride mountain bikes a bunch -- so I'm in better shape than most, but I just miss the throttle. I also have a 3 year old boy that I want to ride with when he gets older. Some of the best memories I have as a kid were of riding -- I'd like to share that with my son.

The dirt biking world has changed. Where have the 2-strokes gone [that's been beat to death elsewhere]? Being older and wiser now, I like to research and figure out what's the best bike for me. Naturally, I'm drawn to Husky. Guess what -- there is almost nothing in the places I know to look about Husky. By this I mean the magazines. I know as well as most of you that Dirt Rider/Dirt Bike are not completely objective -- however, the do provide impressions and perspective and some objective criteria for evaluating the bikes. While they might have a bias toward the Orange, my impression is that they generally call it fairly accurately.

The concern for me is the near total absence of Husky from the places a "normal" consumer would know to look. No racing presence, no magazine adds, hardly any shops. I know about the recent press in Dirt Bike and Dirt Rider [I've nearly memorized it] and Summer's racing team. Its not enough. The only place you can get info on a Husky is right her [or on TT]. I only know that because I looked for it.

Its hard to be in a position to pony up $8k for a new bike [or $4k for a used one] when I can't even find a dyno curve. Like it or not -- exposure is critical. People buy what they know and until they see Husky and hear some good stuff about them, they will remain an ultra-niche market in my opinion. They need bikes in the places "normal" people [not "enthusiasts" like you look].

Finally, the late rollout is killing Husky. I was able to swing a leg over the 09 KTMs in October [jap bikes too]. I used to love getting my bikes in the fall -- then I had the winter to prep them for the riding year. Also, the late rollout kills the magazine testing. Both DB and DR are preparing to reveal the results of the 450 MX shootout -- no Huskys.

Just my opinion. Dave
  18. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

Well put Dave,...I couldn't agree more.
    In fact I had no idea that Husky still made and imported 2 strokes into the US up until two weeks before I ordered mine on the Wed. before Thanksgiving!
    I really thought I knew all there was left to know about the dwindling 2 stroke market. I was positive that after Kawasaki killed the little KDXs there was nothing left to choose from (in an off-road 2 stroke) but KTM and Gas Gas, or pony up $12K for a Service Honda AF500X. I'd even heard of, and seen pictures of the handbuilt Italian TMs. But I'd seen no evidence whatsoever in years to lead me to believe that Husky still made a 2 stroke. Then one day last month my old riding buddy, and fellow Cafe Husky member MJG sends me a link to the website of the shop where he bought his Ducati,...'Fast by Ferraci'. They were advertising Husky 2 strokes, and hailing the coming of the new WR300 for '09. I did a dealer search and found one closer to home,...Gateway Cycles in Mt. Sterling, KY,...and drove down there and put down a deposit on one two weeks later.

Come to think of it though, this Wed. the 17th will make 3 weeks now and I still don't have any actual concrete physical proof that bike exists. :lol:
  19. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

"Funny you mention Columbus as Wheelsports has been a cycle shop for as long as I can remember. They originally were a Husqvarna dealer in the 70's and 80's but Wally gave up on Cagivia's poor dealer support and broken promises. He went to KTM in the late 80's and is the only dealer in central Ohio as far as I know."

Yep, and the big one near Cincy is called Plessinger's. Also in a little rural suburb of Cincy called Batavia on Rt. 32, there was a place called Midwest Polaris that sold KTMs as a 3rd string line behind ATVs and lawn mowers. I stopped in there on the way to King's Island once on a Saturday morning in the middle of summer about 3 years ago, and the owner and I were the only souls in there. I sometimes wonder if he's still a KTM dealer,...or even in business still at all.

I bought my bikes at Honda/Suzuki/(formerly KTM) of Jackson. About 3 miles east of Jackson, Ohio on US 35. They do quite well on street bikes, ATVs and UTVs,...they even sell those Goldwings that have been converted into trikes ($30K!!!),....but they're out of the KTM game for good now. The guy told me that high-end Euro dirt bikes were a "niche market" around those parts, and he wasn't gonna watch 'em collect dust on his floor anymore. Said he was lucky to sell two 300s a year,...providing that one of 'em was to me!
    It's just as well really though,...nobody there ever really knew anything about KTMs anyways. Don't you find it discomforting when you know more about the bike you're looking at than the salesman does? And I wouldn't ever have let any of those kids in the service dept. come near one of my bikes with a wrench either.
  20. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You are welcome but just take us Husky nuts with a grain of salt and do what you can in the position you are in and that is all we can expect and be appreciative of. Patience pays off and in my profession, things do not always work best with "shock and awe" but stealth works best. They (orange) will never know what hit them.
    street legal some time before them was quite an opening shot.
    Keep it up.
    I do think a hard parts catolog similiar to old husky product would get some quick converts as it would imediateley disuade the old "no one makes stuff for them" rumor.

Joe