Help! Debris found in my engine - 610/630 clutch issues

Discussion in '610/630' started by Rough Rider, Feb 9, 2011.

1. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    Here's my ghetto jig to press the rivets:
    - Piece of wood turned on a lathe,
    - some workout weights (from my wife, I lift a lot more than that :D)
    - and a cheap harbor freight air hammer.

It worked out pretty good once I found out I could hold the hammer bit to prevent it from wandering.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Xcuvator likes this.
  2. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    All you need is a little duct tape! Well done. Necessity is the mother of invention. I will use a 50 ton press ( gently )
  3. FasYankee Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    BOOM!
    While my gut answer to this question is "zero".......how many times is the clutch cover gasket re-usable?
  4. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    From what I have read, multiple times. It is a metal core.
    I can tell you if that is true pretty soon. I am waiting for the store to open to buy oil and re-fill the bike :-)
  5. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I've used my side cover gasket several times...probably four times. In fact I just reused it tonight- changed the oil so pulled the cover to check the RH oil screen (in good shape but it's the new screen that's only been in for 2800 miles.)
  6. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    My 2 cents here, after pulling the clutch side case (for any reason) put the torque wrench back on them after a good heat cycle ride. Reused gasket or new, re-check them with the torque wrench!

After my Indy clutch basket upgrade I went on one hell of an off road ride on the 630. New gasket, torqued to spec. of course. About 1/4 of the bolts took some attention with the torque wrench after the shake down.
  7. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    I reused it about ten times and then I replaced it because it didn't look good anymore (I don't remember whether it was too warped or worn).
  8. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Indy Unlimited does not make the washers any more - anyone got the details of the other guy who makes them? Got a guy this side of the pond who needs a set.
  9. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    That kinda sucks. I'm glad I did mine then. I haven't heard of any other source for them other than stock. Evidently you can buy the whole clutch basket. <shrug>
  10. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

For the record _luke_ has cup washers. :thumbsup:
  11. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    who's that??
  12. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Found him. He is Slovenia.
  13. Stujam Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09te610, 11te630
  14. Cutler1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi guys
    I manufactured some sets of the cup washers from heat treated tool steel and had some rivets turned as well. Any of the 610 owners out there that need washers, I can help. Please PM me for details. I am in South Africa, but we can airmail them no problem.
  15. Stujam Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09te610, 11te630
    We just did a run of cnc machined tool steel hardened washers . It was a one off run so its good if there is more options .
    I can get more made but it would be a minimum order of
    10 sets
  16. scudster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 610e
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 1090 Adventure R, DT250, CBR900
    My '00 SM 610e was bought with the kick starter not working and kick lever missing. After a bit of disassembley work I found out why it was removed. It looks like a previous owner (was forced to ) removed the intermediate gear between the kick mechanism and the clutch because bits of one of the spacer washers jammed between it and the clutch or the clutch bush was so badly worn it went all over the place. The teeth on the back of the clutch are mangled and spring retainer plate is heavily scratched from the inter shaft rubbing it. Also the hole where the intermediate shaft is located is cracked and elongated from the impact.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

The bike is running fine and I wouldn't have noticed the damage only for I wanted to fix the kick start and have it as a backup incase the battery died.
    My only remedy is to get a second hand 28mm centre clutch and get a bush made to fit the 23mm shaft as I cant get a 26mm clutch unless I shell out over 300 euro. And I will still end up without a kick start!:censored:
  17. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
  18. scudster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 610e
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 1090 Adventure R, DT250, CBR900
    Ouch indeed!
    What's worse is the bush I made to make the new basket fit has bound to the shaft and the clutch can't disengage.
    Something just doesn't want me to ride my bike it seems!
  19. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    SWM really needs to step up to the plate and make sure they remedy this weak design. If they don't/haven't corrected this it will be bad business for their 650's and their 650 engines going to AJP. There will be no way the Super Dual will be a KLR killer if the clutch washers on them continues to shit the bed and take out the motors, and sometime less then 10K miles! Personally, until knowing SWM has fixed this issue, I could not recommend a bike with this engine, or even consider buying one myself. Having to source upgraded/aftermarket washers and do the install just to insure your bike wont shit the bed early in life is unacceptable!
    Xcuvator likes this.
  20. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Excuse the double post, but I didn't want to combine them. Please bare with my info/rant, and font issues.

I sent SWM an email speaking about the clutch cup washer issues with this motor (SWM 650) that many have experienced, about my experience with my 630's motor being done at 11,000 miles, and linking this thread. I assured them I was not bashing SWM, but I wanted them to be aware of the issue if they weren't already, as I hope no one else with this motor has to suffer the same fate... at such low miles. I got this short reply:
    "thanks for your mail with information and suggestion much appreciate. SWM will be ready for the USA market from June 2016."

I wasn't quite sure what to make of the reply, so I copy pasted the email I sent to SWM and with some explanation added, I sent it to AJP. The reply I got from AJP ended with this: "We are sure that we will provide all future PR7 owners a good product, and we trust 100% on our engine supplier."

Some 610/630 owners may be thinking what is the big deal, the clutch design is fine. Others (like me) may have dumped their oil to see metal debris and shortly there after a toasted motor. I hope no one else has to experience this, it is BS. I bought my 630 new and have maintained it well. I am both mad as hell and sad about it. My intent with my emails is to enlighten SWM and hopefully light a fire under their ass to fix this problem. Just imagine SWM and AJP forums with guys reporting their 650/PR7 motors being done at around the 10,000 mile mark. I hope not.
    motranqui likes this.