Check those RH side oil screens fellas...

Discussion in '610/630' started by EricV, Jan 2, 2015.

1. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Hi Kuzmich. Welcome- good looking 630 you have...good pic in the previous thread. Now Google Translate doesn't always work well, but I think I get the idea from what it has produced:

"Hello! My husky traveled more than 34,000 kilometers, 6,500 kilometers back, I pulled the ruined mesh filter from its engine, there were suspicions that screwing the drain bolt, I broke it and ordered a new one, and put this spring.
    Today I did the next oil change and checked the grid, it is broken again, I measured the distance from the bolt to the point grid position limit switch, the bolt does not get to her.
    There is an assumption that it is a constructive error and non-compliance due to the size, the length of the mesh filter / length of the well, the grid has the possibility of movement, leading to shock loads, and its destruction, which do now is not clear, and ordered another, it does not meaning, it is necessary to seek a solution, but apparently it lies in the manufacture of self-mesh filter, the size of the well, the original item, error, yes, sorry, I was very disappointed, but the bike itself is very nice, and it was not going to change."

So, if I am understanding you correctly, you have already had the failure, but caught it before anything worse happened...correct? On top of that you've had 2 filters fail. If so that is of course very concerning. If you have had 2 fail without ruining your engine you're actually very fortunate.

I think I speak for the group when I say that the general consensus (here and on the thread on ADVRider.com) was that this is indeed the result of materials (thin/weak), construction (how the end cap is tacked on), and situational (it vibrates around within the cavity, causing it to come apart.) The oil drain bolt in fact does not reach the end of the screen. Here's some reading - the AdvRider thread which also has pics:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507511&page=294

There has been discussion of self-fabrication of a more robust replacement (by one of us, or by someone one of us reaches out to for this.) I was one who was to furnish measurements- apologies to all for I haven't done that...I will.

The mechanic who rebuilt my engine feels very confident that the engine can be run, without concern, without this filter in there. I don't know...I, for one, have not gone this route. I am very tempted to.

So you had around 27,500 kms when your 1st one broke, and then 6,500 kms on the next when it broke? That is worrisome. Thanks for reporting in and again welcome.
  2. kuzmich Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Xr250Baja
    Hi Eric!:) Now Google Translate хорошо переводит, и мы понимаем друг друга.:)
    Я тоже пришел к решению отказаться от этого фильтра очистки масла, Спасибо! :)))
  3. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630

All good then. :) If the translator did it's thing correctly you're going to be running w/out that right-hand oil screen. I'm about due to check mine (it's been 2,500 miles since my incident) so if there's any sign of it failing that'll be it- I'll be running without it as well.
  4. Sherco Shirly Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM rs 650r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 290 X-ride, Sherco 510,
    Do we know if it's better to run without the screen yet fellas? and if there are any side effects in doing so?
  5. John Tsoukalas Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Duke 790
    Don't you mess with the mesh it holds potentially shavings from your clutch.
    Kenneth Webb likes this.
  6. CRACKATTACK Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690SM
    Is there any update on people who have decided to ditch the screen?
    I'm at just over 10,000kms and am waiting on upgraded cup washers to arrive, will inspect the screen at the same time but after all the horror stories I'd much rather remove it than have my engine self destruct to stop a few clutch shavings, would the upgraded cup washers not eliminate that threat anyway?
  7. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Mine has 12,000km (7500miles) and still looks like new. You should inspect/clean it at each oil change - the case cover gasket is reusable.
    If it's normal and without issue I'm not sure why you would want to remove it.

As far as I know some have vibration damage from spinning in it's port in the case/oil circuit, but failure has not been universal like the spring cup washers in the clutch basket.
    John Tsoukalas likes this.
  8. CRACKATTACK Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690SM
    Thanks CJ, it's just the somewhat sudden onset of failure that people have reported, not long after inspecting and finding their screens immaculate, that has me concerned.
  9. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    It is disconcerting and it is hugely variable- some have the issue and others don't...as you've seen. I also struggle with the idea of leaving it out (especially after my case crack) but, to date, have left it in. I'm now at around 16,500 miles on the bike...was at around 8,500 when mine gave way (checked it twice in that time and so far all is well. Weighs on my mind at times, though.) It's been clean each time, which makes me start to think, again, of running without it.

Now all that said it's not like it's a pain to check. Sure, it's mildly annoying but worth the peace of mind as you do an oil change. I've had that side casing cover off many times and have never had the re-used gasket leak.
  10. Rob578 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Beta 300RR Beta 500RS TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 919 sold FJR1300 sold
    Is it possible that these could be inserted backwards at the factory? I checked mine for the first time yesterday and could swear the end with the hole was towards the center of the engine. The manual clearly shows the hole towards the outer case leading to the oil passage that runs between the center case and outer cover.
    What happens if it is inserted backwards?
    Mine has around 3500 miles with no issues at all.
  11. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I've not heard of any instances where the right hand filter was installed (from the factory) the wrong way. Mine was the proper orientation- as shown on pages D.11 and H.47 of the workshop manual. If mine had been installed incorrectly (with rounded/end cap end away from center of engine) then I wouldn't have had such a catastrophic outcome (as it was the end cap that came off and got hammered through the case by the con rod.) That not to suggest that anyone should run it "backwards"- not at all- just saying that mine was clearly of the right orientation- had to be for what happened to have happened (that and I'd had it out before anyway to inspect/clean it, so I knew it was in right.)
  12. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    Do you know how many people appart to yourself has had this issue?
  13. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Well, earlier in this thread there's a few who mentioned that they've had the same issue, and there were also a few in the 630 thread over on AdvRider. I can recall at least 4 folks who have had it happen, but they caught it before things got bad. My case (as a worst case scenario) seems to be the only one (meaning that it resulted in a very costly/time consuming repair.)

Now- also as mentioned- we don't want to lose perspective either. Out of the many 610/630 owners here those of us who have had a failure are relatively few. Still there have been enough cases for it to be of concern, which is why most of us recommend checking it somewhat routinely.

EDIT: Here you go- some known failures from earlier in this thread:

Member Bike Mileage

rickcj7 630, 400 miles (an aberration at that mileage, it seems, maybe a factory install issue)
    Larryboy '07 610, Unknown miles
    Grinder '06 610, Unknown miles
    EricV 630, 8,900 miles (I checked it once at around 7700 miles, in good shape and clean)
    Geekventure 630, 11,000 miles
    Timwicked 630, 16,000 miles
    Rotax_655 likes this.
  14. Rob578 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I don't know of anyone else with the issue but I've kinda been out of the 610/630 loop lately.
  15. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    As far as I know you have to pay a special attention when you put it in its position in the crankcase. Not only the "direction" but also it has to enter enough in the hole... I don't know how to explain it better, sorry. Of course I'm sure is not your case, but might be some mates didn't put enough attention when they installed it and so they break the filter... ??
    Rotax_655 likes this.
  16. Rob578 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    When I put mine back in it stopped against something solid. The drain plug was in so maybe it was up against that.
  17. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    I agree with you
  18. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    As the clutch was working no so smooth, today I decided to take a look to it. So, as a previous work I had to drain the oil. When I removed the drain oil screw that has not a magnet on it, one small piece fall. Guess what piece I'm talking about

IMG_3408.JPG

I think I deserve it due to my previos coments :busted:

Fortunately nothing has been broken

I beg your pardon, Mr. Eric V :rolleyes:

Next step I'm going to take a look to the clutch discs and also (OF COURSE) to the washers. Hope this work won't become a horror movie... :lol: I hope the best but I'm ready for the worst After all, we're talking only about a motorcycle. There are (of course) more serious problems out there in the world ... ;)
    Rotax_655 likes this.
  19. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    the problem needs to be analyzed
  20. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    Yeah, the point is: is there any scientific reason why the mesh filter has broken into pieces just in this moment or is simply that the oil filter is a bad quality one?