Check those RH side oil screens fellas...

Discussion in '610/630' started by EricV, Jan 2, 2015.

1. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Hi all. As you may recall I'm the guy who had a crack through in the bottom of my engine casing. That was this thread: http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/false-start-weird-clatter-noise-another-opinion-request.45337/

I just got the re-assembled engine back yesterday, so gonna start the re-install tonight. I did get the old case halves back and will post pics soon (sure enough a lot of internal cracks.) Now if you'll recall the mechanic felt confident that the small solid end piece of the right hand oil screen came off and did this damage. That appears to be the case- he sent me the old one back, along w/ the piece that flew through the bottom end. It's very tiny but, as we know, the tolerances in there are very tight and needless to say the forces are strong.

Now me- back upon hearing this by phone from the mechanic and not recalling every detail of the screens construction- have had doubts. I've been searching and searching for a detailed pic of this screen. All the shop manual and parts fiche shows is a sketch which lacks any detail (in fact the sketch looks like there is no end piece to it.) So today I posted on The Garage (at ADVRider.com) to gain some pointers on engine re-install and, funny enough, LarryBoy over there posted a detailed pic of his '07 610 screen: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1034323

The scary thing is that his came apart also, but he caught it before it did any damage. Now I know, and believe, that many here have checked theirs and they're always clean and in good shape. Still, I'm posting this just to aid others as it appears that in rare cases these bad boys DO come apart, sometimes with catastrophic consequence (and to the tune of several thousand dollars, as I now know.)

Again I'll post pics of my cases and screen soon- the least I can do after all the help you guys have been...can't thank you enough. I'm sure I'll be picking your brains again as I muddle through the re-assembly phase.

Eric
    SimpleOne and Theo like this.
  2. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Interesting. I think I've only had mine out once in 6K miles. Time for an oil and filter change and check it again.
  3. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Well put- I think it's just that, interesting, as I know that in what seems to be, oh, 95 plus percent of the cases a non-issue...something to not even give thought to. But, as with some other things, it seems that sometimes these simple things give way in a big way.
  4. grinder96 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    VFR800, XR80
    I have had the same filter come apart on my 06' SM610 !! I had to split my cases to inspect!!
    20140626_222307.jpg

I found the metal bits but did not want to reassemble until I knew where it came from. It took me a while to figure out it was the oil screen end cap. Ordered a new one and could not find anything online regarding this issue so I thought it was a freaky isolated incident ! Apparently not!!
    Theo likes this.
  5. GeekVenture Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Africa Twin
  6. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    Talking about the two longer screws, the #4 we can't see in the picture, I can tell you that on the 610 the longer ones are these two:
    [IMG]
    Probably, on the 630 this holds good.
    Anyway, when you don't know which are the longer screws among many ones, you can temporarily install them randomly without tightening them, just putting every of them in one of the holes. You should then be able to know the longer for the shorter ones, because, if a short one is in a hole designed for a long one, it will protrude less and vice versa.
  7. grinder96 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    VFR800, XR80
    At disassembly I use a piece of cardboard, sketch the perimeter of the part (like the clutch cover). I put a mark where all the screws go. then cut an X with a knife. A bolt comes off the bike then in the x of the cardboard. That way on reassemble I don't have to try and remember where it goes i just follow my picture. I like pictures! :D
    Tori and SimpleOne like this.
  8. rickcj7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Looks like I'll be giving Husky a call since my screen failed under warranty and Husky, cant remember the aholes name now eastern Husky rep, said it failed because the dealer didn't install it correctly.
    Looks like enough evidence of a faulty screen!

I better check the screen on my other bike!
  9. mandolin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 ie '09
    Where do you pull these out? where is it located? never cleaned these before :) :)
    Is this te operation?
    I have to remove both engine covers?
    ddd.jpg
  10. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    The filter in question is #1 in the drawings you posted. All you have to do is remove that side (the right side) engine/clutch cover. The left side filters are uncovered by simply removing that plate.
  11. mandolin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 ie '09
    Is this part of the periodical maintenance? Do i need to drain the oil to?

thanks for the reply
  12. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Yes- it's a "while you're changing oil" thing. The left side filters should be checked with every oil change. I forget the interval for the right side screen in question, but it's a pretty long interval and it's in the manual. That said, and based on what we're seeing, it's best (though inconvenient) to check it at every change.

Also- keep in mind that when pulling that clutch cover there's a fair amount of oil that's gonna want to dump. When you drain the oil lean the bike as far as you can each way to get all you can, then lean it to the left (like on kickstand w/ no prop block) to minimize the mess.
  13. mandolin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 ie '09

Thank you.really helpful !
  14. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    When you re-install the right cover, remember to align the crankshaft with the oil pump shaft, or this could happen!
    EricV likes this.
  15. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    The crappy thing is, last time I wanted to do my oil change I tried to order the gasket and was told it wasn't available. I am the kind of guy that doesn't like to take things apart without the parts to put it back together. I have checked that screen twice and found it clean both times.
    Hopefully if I don't disturb it, it will be fine.
  16. Philthy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yammy WR250f
    Thanks for sharing your pain findings Eric, its easy to ignore those sleepers when they're not obviously causing grief. Will do a proper oil change next time
    EricV likes this.
  17. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Whats wrong with buying a roll of gasket paper and making your own?
    I can get about 6 water pump gaskets from £2 worth of paper.
    I put my right side casing back on with the original gasket because it was undamaged.
  18. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I have reused my right cover gasket about six times.
    Theo, Spice Weasel and EricV like this.
  19. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
  20. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    Good find.
    If I'm reading that thread correctly, with the drain bolt out, it is possible to insert back the screen filter too deeply so that when you you put the drain bolt back, you are crushing the end of the screen filter...