Check those RH side oil screens fellas...

Discussion in '610/630' started by EricV, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I wonder if the oil weight could be a factor?
    Heavy weight oil at cold start up and insufficient warm up?
  2. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Sort of. You see, from the pics you'll see that there's a half moon surface area which would prohibit the screen going in quite that far. That said there clearly seems to be (to me, at least) a design flaw in that about 50% of the end of the screen would contact the threads of the drain plug- this evidenced by the cross section of threads seen. Now the caveat there is this- does the drain plug thread that high up into this area, as it appears? Next time I change my oil I'll thread the plug into the old case to see.
  3. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    I wonder if this theory could be tested by putting some paint on the end of the filter then installing it and removing it to see if any has rubbed off on the drain bolt threads.
    mandolin and EricV like this.
  4. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    OK, so i wanted to help with this so I brought my spare bottom end engine down from the loft. My loft is a hateful little itchy fibreglass insulated, cobwebby place, thats how much i wanted to help, lol.
    Anyways, the offending filter is missing, but i did inspect where it went and believe there is a real chance Ericv's theory could be correct.
    Wow, the tolerances are close inside these motors.
    EricV likes this.
  5. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Thanks Spice. It's hard to say- it could be that it's hitting up against the drain plug or in some cases it's not inserted correctly and getting crushed...or a combination thereof. I'm indeed still leaning towards the idea of it encroaching into the space where the plug threads in (as seen in the advrider thread pics.)

I'm interested in seeing more so- since I have an old casing also and don't trust these filters anyway- I went ahead and ordered a new one so that I can better see how it all goes together. That's an expensive little filter- 40 bucks (over 50 w/ shipping.)
  6. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Ok, so mythbusters part one (and I hope only one part)...

I pulled my side cover and screen- all looks good, and it should seeing as the bike doesn't have mile one on it since my fiasco. :) Anyway, I threaded my oil drain plug into the old casing and the plug does not enter high enough in to touch the end of the screen- so there's that theory down. It's Very close, but no. What we're seeing is excess threading from machining.

My apologies for wasting anyone's time on that theory, but still want to know why we have these failures. It may be that they're not being reinstalled right but I dunno...it's pretty straightforward so not easy to see someone forcing the case cover on.

DOES ANYONE KNOW if, upon reinstalling the screen, orientation of the two small side holes (at the cover end) matters? My guess is not, the way it's channeled. Please let me know if you know- I don't wanna F this freshly rebuilt engine up.
    Theo and Spice Weasel like this.
  7. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Ruing a possibility out isnt a waste of time.
    It seems the sad fact is that were left with a faulty screen issue now. Potential grenade, eek.
    Is there anything that can be done about it?
    From the picture in the link it looks like the mesh has failed , not the weld.
    It seems to me that a better design would be to have a thicker walled inner tube with large perforations connecting both ends of the filter, like a one piece body with the mesh around it.
    Thanks for keeping us informed EricV, you might help save other peoples bikes.
    Theo and EricV like this.
  8. GeekVenture Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Africa Twin
    What are the torque specs for the RH side case cover...long and short bolts?
  9. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Looking for my next Husky......
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Africa Twin, 2013 TE310
    Guys, any chace that going forward we can catalog these failed screens by knowing a little more info like;

Which year is your bike?
    How many miles on it?
    How often this part was serviced previous the discovery of the failure?
  10. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I think it's worth making it a Sticky on the forum. Sure, it's not necessarily a widespread issue, but I think enough to where it's good to provide a stickied heads-up. These are the ones I know of, so far:

Member Bike Mileage

rickcj7 630, 400 miles (an aberration at that mileage, it seems, maybe a factory install issue)
    Larryboy '07 610, Unknown miles
    Grinder '06 610, Unknown miles
    EricV 630, 8,900 miles (I checked it once at around 7700 miles, in good shape and clean)
    Geekventure 630, 11,000 miles
    Timwicked 630, 16,000 miles
    Huskyfly likes this.
  11. GeekVenture Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Africa Twin
  12. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Think we need a fix for this. I have worked with filter manufactures making small stainless process filters, not much larger than this screen. Anyone have one of these out they could measure up for me? I'll draft something up with some improvements, and send it out to get a price and any minimum run requirements.
  13. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I'd be interested in this- thanks for being willing to look into this. I have a spare, but am not home this weekend. I'll be glad to send measurements and any detailed pics you want soon. I think the main thing is coming up with something that performs the same but is hearty enough to take the vibes over the long haul. Perhaps something that fits more precisely to minimize the high frequency jostling.
  14. GeekVenture Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Africa Twin
    I like someones idea of welding 1 stainless rod to the inside wall (ID to ID) of each end piece.
    Seems like it will stiffen it up...plus it will capture the end piece should the screen split in two like mine did.

[IMG]

The questions are:
    -Will the attachment junction of the screen to the end pieces be compromised from the welding heat?
    -What would happen if the stainless rod welds failed and it came loose? Doesn't it bottom out in there and the other end hits the back side of the case?
  15. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Looking for my next Husky......
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Africa Twin, 2013 TE310
    I second that, PLEASE STICKY THIS TOPIC!

I think it can only help identify who's had these issues, year, milage and when it was check last or if it was checked last before the failure. Hopefully getting some additional info might provide some clues either for better replacement parts or what not to do when servicing this screen or putting it back into place.
    Theo likes this.
  16. BarberPole Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT225
    I was thinking exactly the same Excuvator before I saw your post.

Husqvarna recommends 60 wt oil OEM.......and I have read where some riders stick with that wt oil if available.

Others have come down in wts to many of the x-40s , as I have, with no problems.

I wonder what the useage wts were of those that had screen problems.

I believe these filters do not have bypass valves or relief springs.......so maybe slightly dirty oil at the higher viscosities when cold is just blowing them up.............
    Theo likes this.
  17. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    Can't you a definite answer re welding.I had one of these break in the post,second hand but not broken when it was posted.I assume they are quite brittle mesh.I have not checked mine got 25000km 330hrs on bike.
  18. M-Coupe99 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 FE 501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW S1000RR
    Yesterday I changed the oil & oil filter on my "new to me" TE630, the bike has about 5,100 miles. Prior owner did not tell me when he last changed oil / filter. There was a little bit of fine metal shavings "fuzz" on the drain plug, but nothing too significant. The right side screen was completely clean. The left side screens had a small amount of very fine metal shavings on them, again such a small amount to not warranted any concern. Glad to see all of the screens completely intact.
  19. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    I still have to remove my rh cover to replace my clutch bushing. I'll measure up the screen while it's off and enquire about a replacement using a more substantial mesh/screen.
  20. kuzmich Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Xr250Baja
    Всем Привет! Мой husky проехал уже более 34000 километров, 6500 км назад, я вытащил разрушенную сетку-фильтр из своего мотора, были подозрения, что вворачивая сливной болт, я сломал ее, заказал новую, и поставил этой весной.
    Сегодня я делал очередную замену масла, и проверил эту сетку, она опять сломана, я померил расстояние от болта, до точки расположения концевика сетки, болт не достает, до нее.
    Есть предположение, что это конструктивная ошибка, и из за несоблюдения размеров, длина сетки-фильтра/ длина колодца, сетка имеет возможность движения, что приводит к ударным нагрузкам, и ее разрушению, что делать теперь не понятно, и заказывать еще одну, не имеет смысла, надо искать решение, но видимо оно лежит, в самостоятельном изготовлении сетчатого фильтра, по размерам колодца, оригинальная деталь, с ошибкой, да, обидно, я сильно разочарован, но сам по себе мотоцикл очень хороший, и менять его не собирался.