Booster Plug

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Kenneth Webb, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Ryguy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 terra
    Wuka King booster plug
    I got the knock off booster plug from the guy over on advrider. Works well and installs quick and easy with minimal tools. Takes care of the stumble and costs 90 bucks shipped in the us. I like it because for now I don't plan on upgrading anything engine wise for now. Later if I want to upgrade $90 isn't too big a loss
  2. Wolftrax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR 650, Yamaha XT1200Z
    I installed the Wuka King booster plug and its worth every bit of the $90 shelled out. Even with the moss done my Terra would stall occasionally when hot. I also had a bit of a stumble right around 3200 rpms. After the install, both issues are history b
    HuskyDude and kjackbrown like this.
  3. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    wolftrax,

Do you have a link to the Ruka King booster plug? Google searches haven't turned up anything.
  4. Ignaciob Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada --> Terra (aka Noxeema)
    Other Motorcycles:
    05 Yamaha FJR (x2), 75 Honda CB400F
    And I got my priority mail, Googled a bit and found several pictures (but missed the install was on the bike's left side), found BigDog's install pictures (figured out the tabs after removing more fasteners than I would have guessed), and did zip tie the temperature sensor to the brake line near the triple tree (there was a nice slot to fit it all).

Fired the bike up, took a little test ride, and NOW think the throttle response is perfect on this bike. No more dying at intersections, you don't have to grab an extra bit of throttle to get it off idle, and just pulls smoothly like a one-cylinder freight train. I noticed that you could be chugging along at 2,000 RPM in top gear, twist the throttle, and it just torques it to higher speed without a fuss.

Less huffing too on decel.

I *think* this is going to be the best and most reasonably priced mod for this TR650 to date.
  5. Tazzierob Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1991 Yamaha XT600
    $90 for a resistor in a plug seems like it's still a bit much to pay. Surely all it is is a resistor in series or parallel with the variable resistance of the temp sensor to make the computer think it's cooler

An example can be seen here for a car, but I would think the same basic principle applies

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=112726
  6. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    I thought this as well but why do they have their own temp probe if this is the case? Unless it's there to prevent the sensor from going into error zone if the ambient temp is too cold.
  7. Wolftrax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR 650, Yamaha XT1200Z
  8. Ignaciob Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada --> Terra (aka Noxeema)
    Other Motorcycles:
    05 Yamaha FJR (x2), 75 Honda CB400F
    I agree. The unit is at least a bit more complicated than a resistor. The detail with OEM connectors and quality crimps also tells me it's not going to go TU the first time I go through a mud hole. $150 was very reasonable for its function and form.

Going to ask an admin to consider splitting this thread since the OP is about the Booster Plug and not the other one.
  9. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    This whole thread is all over the place and needs some work. Between the Booster Plug, Ruka King booster plug, DynoJet. Plus the wrong location for install pictures...:banghead:

Confusing to say the least. I'll tackle it soon.

Edit: I took out most of the non relevant posts. Since Kelly has the DynoJet covered you can go read about it there.

Sorry if I deleted any of your posts.

Lets try and keep on track. Thx

:cheers:
    Coffee and Xcuvator like this.
  10. ChrisNL Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    soon TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT 1200
    This is how the booster plug looks inside:
    http://f800riders.org/forum/showthr...terplug-Also-comparison-to-Accelerator-module

I have build one for my 650 Dakar for 15 Euros, 7.50 of that was shipping costs.
    The connectors are called BOSCH EV1, an NTC and a 56K resistor.

Booster plug used to have the resistance/temp curve on their website, mine was spot on with that one.
    I compared also directly with the original temp probe over various temperatures.
    I will try to figure out which NTC I used.

Everyone who can use a soldering iron could save some money here.
    run-it, Tazzierob and chris1261 like this.
  11. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    Thanks for the link, wolftrax -- it looks like I'll have to wait until after June 10th for deliveries to begin again.
  12. Tazzierob Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1991 Yamaha XT600
    If you can make money off something so simple, good on you. Of course there is all the time choosing the right values, testing, building etc that goes into making it

I won't be buying one though
  13. Wolftrax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR 650, Yamaha XT1200Z
    Well worth the wait.
  14. Tazzierob Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1991 Yamaha XT600
    Does anyone have any info about which NTC thermistor is used on the TR650?
  15. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Booster = bandaid for only a select noticable rpms/tps rainge. Do yourself a favor and budget for a PCV...even if it means waiting a couple/few extra weeks/months...and do it right the first time!! If ANY of you live near me I welcome you to come and ride my TR!

I know I still owe a PCV report (work suddenly sent me to Santa Clara for the week so kinda busy) but omg, it pulls consistantly & RELIABLY throughout the ENTIRE rev band! Seriously...if you want to patch a bad spot, then go Booster...if you want to FIX it ALL and know what to expect any/every time you change the input to your throttle...then spend the $$$ and get a PCV.

Has any of you ever been on the wrong end of "you get what you pay for" and regreted it? This is one of those times when you really should just "do it"'. The PCV is going to give you a plethora of options with any change you ever make to your TR...the Booster will only fool your TR to think it is a bit colder, PERIOD.

I do not wish to offend anyone that has either bought or sells any of the Booster options, and I have no vested interest in the sales of the PCV for the TR or any other bike. My opinions are solely my own and should be taken as such. :thumbsup:

Kev.
  16. Highfive Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE390, BMW F800GS
  17. Wolftrax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR 650, Yamaha XT1200Z
    Yea that's the one, It fits the F800, 650 etc. Page 29 has his latest and greatest PayPal link. There are two models, the Juice and the Power controller. It works, plain and simple at eliminating the stumbles my TR had.
  18. Ryguy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 terra
    Just out of curiosity what affect does the PCV have on your factory warranty? How hard is it to remove in case you have to bring your bike to the dealer.
  19. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
    I have emailed the guy on ADV rider and he says the one for the 800 BMW will work so I have ordered one up. I like to dual range option, I guess I'll see.......:)
  20. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
    Put the Wuka king in last night and WOW...I did not realize how crapy it ran cold.......and how lean it was. This makes a good bike great
    Wolftrax and HuskyDude like this.